Slow progress

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Checking in again. 6 years now... how are things progressing?
An ongoing slow process but they have made some small progress from Tsihu movement and how it looks also the swarmer demo.

Have you tried out the animation test & seen the Swarmer demo?

It is on https://my.em8er.com/downloads and can be found under Miscellaneous

I am sure there are other things going on behind the scenes as well, would be good to have another chief chat and also a well needed new demo update to show the progress eventually!

Dam13n

Mar 4, 2019
also a well needed new demo update to show the progress eventually!
Yeah. Even smaller but regular builds would be fine.

Like, "hey we tweaked the jumpjets, try it out and give us feedback". *nudge, nudge*
"Hey, we tweaked gunplay a bit, what do you guys think?" *nudge nudge*
"We added some basic deathsquads back in the game, just to give you guys some extra content".

IDK what's going on behind the scenes and i may be missing something but that seems definitely doable to give us smaller but consistent new builds.

I've just noticed that even the monthly "skins" are not being delivered consistently. If i may offer some constructive criticism here.

*Insert constructive criticism, to be announced at a later date, only 9,99 a month*

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
Checking in again. 6 years now... how are things progressing?

Looks like nothing has changed...
Development progress is not being communicated effectively. It's hidden in a Discord channel, while the Twitter and YouTube are unmaintained until the ramp up to Kickstarter.

This post would give the best hints:

https://forums.em8er.com/threads/no-zero-days.2380/

An overview off the top of my head:

A while back:

- Full switch to UE5
- Working player character and medium mech with some basic weapons
- Multiplayer tested to, I think, 100 players without lag on my end at least.
- Thumper mech
- Dropships, but they need to be enlarged and have an interior
- Basic resource gathering and server database setup

More recent:

- Modeled and animated, but no AI, primary swarm mobs. There's a backer-download demo of this for us to stress test. I think I got it up to 3 million enemies at 8 FPS. It seems to start optimizing/culling past several tens of thousands. The AI will take some work because these enemies need to coordinate for gameplay and to also mitigate server load issues (the goal is to have a lot of them in combat / on screen) so it's something like a flock/swarm concept.

- Completed primary humanoid enemy, you can download and playtest it at https://my.em8er.com/downloads (look for "Tsi-Hu NPC Animation Test") I think it's available for non-backers.

- Some nifty animation/skeleton stuff has been done, allowing on-the-fly adaptation of movement based on terrain. The Tsu-Hu demo demonstrates it well. No more clipping feet into terrain. This'll be important for various wall-running and climbing mechanics.

Some fundamental tech is currently being re-examined, because the most recent UE5 update from a few weeks ago brought some changes and improvements that are being explored/discovered.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Yeah. Even smaller but regular builds would be fine.

Like, "hey we tweaked the jumpjets, try it out and give us feedback". *nudge, nudge*
"Hey, we tweaked gunplay a bit, what do you guys think?" *nudge nudge*
"We added some basic deathsquads back in the game, just to give you guys some extra content".

IDK what's going on behind the scenes and i may be missing something but that seems definitely doable to give us smaller but consistent new builds.
That would be good especially for them not only to see the changes and also how it is ingame!

Not forgetting the valuable feedback from the community who would like to contribute to improve the Demo build each time.

Development progress is not being communicated effectively. It's hidden in a Discord channel, while the Twitter and YouTube are unmaintained until the ramp up to Kickstarter.
Always that discord ..... I could post updates weekly if i knew what it was or someone else to keep forum the hub of Em8er info going!!!

Guess for youtube/twitter could be someone such as @Dam13n, @Skube etc etc who wouldn't mind adding stuff including the nice videos to at least have something there than have a big gap of nothingness.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Ah there it is important news received today by email !!! :cool:

An Important Update!

I’ve never been more excited for the future of Em-8ER. With the help of our additional animation programmer, we’ve finally been able to make progress on our NPC locomotion, and create our incredible million swarmer tech demo, both of which are available now for free download on Em8ER.com. We have also ported much of the game fully to Unreal Engine 5.3, allowing us increased framerates and access to an incredibly array of content tools that enable for easier and faster development with incredible graphical power on tap.

You Deserve Our Best

Our 100 player multiplayer servers, resource collection, medium frames, dropships, THMPRs, weapons, abilities, character demos, million swarmer demos, NPC demos, all vastly exceed what we originally promised to deliver and have been possible because of your generous support of the project, your spirit and your enthusiasm to see Firefall revived.

But you deserve more. You deserve to see all of these disparate features merged into a single cohesive demo with gameplay that continues to build upon itself, improving with more features with every step. We will work harder and faster to deliver *gameplay* updates going forward.

Until we have delivered on a new build, a core game which incorporates all our progress so far, I am personally uneasy offering backer packs and upgrades for sale. Therefore, this week will be the last week these packs and skins in the general store will be available before being discontinued. Existing backers with packs will enjoy all the perks and benefits, but no new packs will be sold after Sunday, November 12. The Monthly Patron program will continue and be enhanced. Once we have united all tech and gameplay systems, a new simplified system will follow, but the existing packs will not be offered again.

While the Halloween sales have ended, as a courtesy because of this announcement, we have extended a 10% discount thorough the final sales of these backer packs and upgrades which ends Sunday, Nov. 12 at midnight Pacific Time, and which you can find HERE.

Sometime next year, we will be evaluating a possible relaunch our new, simpler, pledge system. Anyone with a current backer pack will enjoy all the unique perks of their current packs, and we will begin to incorporate some of these perks into the demos themselves even before the game launches. Ark Liege backers will be automatically enrolled for free into any new (non Monthly Patron) packs or pledge system up until the Kickstarter demo is live. We want to take care of every existing backer pack supporter and to do so as soon as possible.

Focus on Gameplay & Monthly Patrons

In the interim, our focus will shift to our Monthly Patron supporters and, more importantly, gameplay features. Monthy Patron users will continue to receive skins and other in-game virtual rewards, as well as the resumption of new novel and tabletop updates and access to gameplay builds. Existing Backer Pack supporters will continue to receive gameplay builds earlier, one week earlier than Monthly Patron backers (instead of one version), as we ramp up our build delivery schedule.

Next Step: Gameplay

It will be a few months as we knit together all existing art and code into a new playable core demo focused on gameplay, the first version of which will be released as soon as possible sometime in 1st quarter of next year with January as the target. Daily progress will continue be noted in our #no-zero-day updates channel on the Em-8ER Discord server, M-F. There will be no more whitebox or tech demos. Every build will feature full graphics and gameplay functionality and build upon itself with every new version. We will use these builds to create extensive video clips and marketing to broaden the excitement and interest in Em-8ER, and backers are free to use screenshots, clips and streams to showcase our progress.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
There's a lot of doubts because of the stop - start process going on for years.
I'll admit this is sometimes creeping and getting to me, however do know that this project is achievable just needs something concrete to show for it & more engagement.

Some people say this is a great sales pitch with interesting artwork which does wonders for the imagination including the demo 3d art too.

Yes its a process and it doesn't have to be perfect right away. The community can help test and give feedback/bug reports including the crixa team.

If there is a way to bug report easier within the demo that would be incredibly helpful.

2024 sounds like a good number the longer this goes on the Em8er life drains from each and every enthusiastic player............ think of the big kids before they all turn into grumpy individuals complaining about everything from the sun!!!

So on that odd note the power is in your hands, do your best, make a good game or that's it adios ciao good byes and kablewy

You know what to do until 2024 safe travels and keep on space trucking.