"Skimming"

Meower

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
Absolutely getting way too excited about Em8er recently, and I'm going back and re-reading some of the vision book. Amazing source of pertinent information, all right there. I stumbled upon something that most old Firefall users will semi-recognize, and that's "Skimming".

I know we're still heavily in development, however, almost all of the elements of movement have been taken care of: jump jets, gliding, and the last will be skimming:

"Skim: Omniframes can assume a low stance, unfolding their wings and activating their jump jets to enable skim mode. Omniframes can skim (hovering just slightly above the ground)for long distances. Skimming drains the reaction core, meaning shields and abilities must recharge after skimming. "

Do we know if this will be added for the kickstarter mockup? Just curious! Everything is already looking incredible.. Blows my mind to think this kickstarter mockup will be almost anything I've been asking for in a game for years. Can't wait to see where it goes!

Post your comments and excitement abour skimming here, and maybe, if we're lucky, we'll hear something about it from the devs!

Thanks for all the hard work fellas. It goes far and is totally noticed.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I am also waiting for updates and more and wonder on this skimming such as:

skimming away far away can we skim across water?

Would skimming be faster down hills?

If we were to skim over someone's head would it cause a fire head?

I wonder what the skimming sounds would be like and can we interrupt skimming to do short bursts?

what if we were about to skim off a cliff can we jump out as a pilot and hide, then baddies would look over the cliff seeing our mek go and then surprise you give them a nudge and they fall just like wile coyote !

When we skim will the trail effects be chroma can we change the effect colours?

How long can we skim for ? Can we extend our skim skim time?

Could our micro thumprs do the skims?

Meower

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
I am also waiting for updates and more and wonder on this skimming such as:

skimming away far away can we skim across water?

Would skimming be faster down hills?

If we were to skim over someone's head would it cause a fire head?

I wonder what the skimming sounds would be like and can we interrupt skimming to do short bursts?

what if we were about to skim off a cliff can we jump out as a pilot and hide, then baddies would look over the cliff seeing our mek go and then surprise you give them a nudge and they fall just like wile coyote !

When we skim will the trail effects be chroma can we change the effect colours?

How long can we skim for ? Can we extend our skim skim time?

Could our micro thumprs do the skims?
These are the questions worth asking!

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
would we be able to attune the skimming speed?

if we could skim over water, could we skim over lava?

will up/downdrafts affect skimming as well as gliding?

would there be a limited use speed booster a la destiny 2 vehicles?

would there be other ways to temporarily boost speed, for instance, a turbo pad?

would there be skimming races?

I don't think we will get skimming in the mockup unless the size of the map changes.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Launch skim mode will be very basic. One speed, not instant transitions in and out of it. But I like the ideas of an eventual down hill increase in speed, some sort of mod in the reactor and omniframe slots to get a burst/boost in there. Zdoo, with your attune and lava comment, I see the tier four or so in world tech having upgrade mods that will allow lava crossing. That would be awesome. Otherwise, I have no issues using water as a barrier. Causing the same kind of fear in quick death as firefall did. If/when Em-8ER is greatly successful, having an underwater milestone would rock! Something to the extent of No Man's Sky.