Skiing in EM8ER

Jul 5, 2017
USA
In the game Tribes Ascend you have the ability to "ski" on terrain in place of a sprint. They explain it as technology in the suit that allows you to toggle friction allowing you to slide on any surface preserving momentum. Gravity still affects you however, so sliding down hill you can pick up a lot of speed while going up hill reduces speed. This movement mechanic is insanely fun and skill intensive but also intuitive and easy to pick up. It would make battles feel fluid, fast paced and intense allowing for high speed flanking maneuvers or launching yourself off a hill to get high above the enemy to rain fire from above. It also gives a unique opportunity to try abilities and weaponry that gain additional damage and/or functionality with velocity. I think this would really fit the overall feel the game is going for adding to the fast and mobile focus in combat. Also races across large areas would be a blast! What do you guys think, would this "skiing" mechanic work for EM8ER?

Maven

Kaiju Slayer
Max Kahuna
Philanthropist
Jul 26, 2016
There is a caveat associated with the skim mode as planned to be implemented for Omniframes. The Skim mode drains the Omniframe core, which means that at the end of usage of the skim mode, abilities and shields have to recharge.

Thus the Skim mode can be considered a movement 'function', strictly to get from Point A to B. Any usage during battle seems like it would render the Omniframe vulnerable.

However, it perhaps could be a template for a future ability/mechanic. Since this could be considered a request for a feature or a suggestion for mechanics, I'll just ping @Grummz so he can have a look at it.

Jul 5, 2017
USA
There is a caveat associated with the skim mode as planned to be implemented for Omniframes. The Skim mode drains the Omniframe core, which means that at the end of usage of the skim mode, abilities and shields have to recharge.

Thus the Skim mode can be considered a movement 'function', strictly to get from Point A to B. Any usage during battle seems like it would render the Omniframe vulnerable.

However, it perhaps could be a template for a future ability/mechanic. Since this could be considered a request for a feature or a suggestion for mechanics, I'll just ping @Grummz so he can have a look at it.
Thanks! I really think it could add a lot to combat and I would love to see it implemented :)

Gordro

Omniframe Inventor
Jul 26, 2016
England
I dont play games to get cold.

And why would I ski when I could board?

Skiers wear scary skin tight clothes, my sad fat knackered body can't handle the embarrassment of that...

0d5c8d84a169677984c921f60b9c7dac.jpg