SHIFTERS SPAWNING DEMO - Feedback thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 5, 2017
UK
https://forums.em8er.com/threads/weapons-test-1-0-feedback-suggestions.1586/post-50470

still wondering if the graphics are going to get changed back to how they were in the terrain demo. the post i linked has pictures for comparison with the camera in relatively the same spot. terrain demo looked so nice and colorful. new builds have an orange tint to them and less foliage even on max settings. even the rocks looked better on lowest settings. View attachment 3955
Eventually you might see that pretty vista on Em-8er...but it will be a frozen planet with packets of lava flows and probably large frozen nitrogen/amonnia hills, mountains and snow !! how cool is that. :cool:

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
The change to the plasma cannon recoil is a welcomed change however I request the horizontal recoil be removed. The unpredictable horizontal jerk motion gives me a headache. I think the current vertical recoil is fine

I wonder if the plasma cannon projectile needs 0.15 increase in gravity. For a skill weapon it flies pretty straight; almost floaty at medium range.

The fuel cost is too low for jumpjet vertical. I anticipate the current cost to vertical ratio is what players can achieve through crafting but the current vertical fuel cost is so low right now that I don't perceive value. I guess I could say it feels like an unlimited resource. It loses its "wow, cool,I can afford this" factor. Additionally because of the ease of gaining vertical height, the hills and mountains become annoying speed-bumps rather than landscape obstacles. It's currently not a choice of, "should I go around?" or "do I have the fuel to climb this?" the question now is "how height do I need to fly before activating my glider to soar over everything?"

I suggest a different spawn particle effect for the tsi-hu. My 2 biggest problems with the spawn particle effect is the Beam data blocks vision AND the Beam lines are holding the player's hand and saying, "hey, they're spawning here, here, here, and there." The player doesn't have to put any effort into observing where the tsi-hu are appearing. I would like to see less obvious spawns in the effort to create more of a surprise for the players. Furthermore if the portals appeared in slightly different locations for each enemy spawn then players would not be able to spawn camp as easily. The tsi-hu could each appear with their own particle effect at random locations within a radius of the epicenter (Like somone already suggested with the Loki gif). It's fine if the epicenter has a designated particle effect and "zaps" an area with lightning when something spawns but I dislike the constant beam.

Aug 5, 2017
UK
Great work team Em-8er
when you land a demo its always very satisfying. Love the armoured Tsi-hu, can't wait to slam a few of them in game. Having rifts as a transport medium for Tsi-hu is a fabulousl idea. Frames and movement feels smooth.

Slight cosmetic gripe
1a) As some have mentioned about the missiles - Great to have but lacking 'ummphh' with the explosions effects. (will Em-8er volotile atmosphere make it more 'expressive' ?)
1b) Rifts next iteration could have more 'spacial effects' to them. Something like a Conical/twisting with electron electricty surging along the exit periphery, lashing around!

2) BUG #1: When swooping virticaly down to hit the ground (on purpose), there is no impact and the frame auto switches to a standing position.
3) BUG #2: Deepstrike onto/near to rifts has no animation effects and seemingly does no damage. Also the frame goes into a auto standing position on impact...or perhaps ive never noticed this before?
4) BUG #3 (or just laggg spiking - but was getting 50/60 fps on high): Activating certain abilities in hover/gliding mode was a bit hit or miss.

Technical Bug: Had a hard time connecting to US/EU server in pvp mode - had to try many times. Also got DC'd with no error messages during demo...very weird!

Apart from all that - a big thumps up !!!!!! :D

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth, USA, East Coast
discord.gg
Okay first, I must start with my traditional GIF reply ...

DEV TEAM YOU'VE GONE AND DONE IT AGAIN!!
❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️️

THINGS I NOTICED RIGHT AWAY AND LOVE:
- THE DROPSHIP HAS ENGINE SOUNDS!!
- THE TSI-HU ARE MOVING!!
- THE TSI-HU HAVE SOUND EFFECTS!!
- THERE IS A SLIGHTLY BIGGER & ARMORED VERSION OF TSI-HU!!
- THE RIFTS!! (they have such a familiar shape...) :cool:
- THE RIFTS HAVE SOUND EFFECTS!!
- WEAPONS HAVE AMMO COUNTERS!!
- PLASMA CANNON RECOIL FIXED (no motion sickness for me) HOORAY!!
- AND ONE MORE THING I ALMOST FORGOT thank you @zharhana#7881 for reminding me!! A particle effect was added to the Dropships which we noticed and it is TOTALLY WICKEDLY AWESOME!!

THINGS I NOTICED (BUGS & GLITCHES):
- See @zharhana#7881 's post on page 1 ...
https://forums.em8er.com/threads/shifters-spawning-demo-feedback-thread.1805/#post-55457
- There are just a few things more I saw/experienced or liked the idea of that I thought I should mention below. :cool:

❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️
I'D LIKE TO SAY, GREAT JOB TO ALL DEMO TESTERS!!
❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Now just a few things more . . .

Eventually you might see that pretty vista on Em-8er...but it will be a frozen planet with packets of lava flows and probably large frozen nitrogen/amonnia hills, mountains and snow !! how cool is that. :cool:
You are correct!! The plan is that the planet when players first arrive will be a frozen icy planet with packs of lava flows!! The terrain in the Rift Demo is probably going to be a later terraforming stage.
There will be at least three stages of Terraforming.
To read more about Terraforming, check out the following section: https://forums.em8er.com/threads/section-new-terraforming-mining.853/

Ah what i noticed in the new demo
- There is a bigger tsihu with armor a leader perhaps, could sound a little different to the other tsihu?
The bigger Tsi-Hu with armor DO look SWEET!! I didn't notice they were bigger until I got up close with one; pretty slick Dev Team!! And yes, adding a different sound for them is a cool idea!!

- The Tsihu make strange noises i like it especially when the part on their back turns red and they make the sound rdguuouoyhhy.
The question is, does that sound remind you of any sounds from another game? It did for me. :cool:
Oh and the Rifts are a visual clue; they remind me of the same game ...
(To those who know already ... let's see if others here can guess). :cool:

- The spawn effect not always but at times continues to make the sound effect when the electric effect has vanished.
- I too noticed, sometimes the sound effects for the Rifts continue at the spawn points after the visual effects de-spawn.

- In pvp the spawn electric effect was damaging and it hurt resulting in death !
The Rifts ("spawn electric effect") should be causing damage to players on both PvP AND PvE servers. So don't get TOO close or you'll get zapped!!:D

- The plasma gun in 1st person mode looks strange held at a slight angle
- Agreed. The plasma cannon is at an odd angle in 1st person view. The ammo counter now obstructs your view to shoot.

I don't know about everyone else but . . .
I AM SO EXCITED to see what's next!!

1594683113052.png
❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️️

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020
So far with the current build (2 hours or so) 2020-07-06T18:56:08.121Z

Movement is great thus far, though sprint->slide is a bit spammy.

The assault rifle in third person is a bit bouncy. Mostly the camera shake. I don't get motion sick but feels like I could because of it. Though the plasma cannon could use more of a kick instead feeding to the "bigger round more kickback" and less bouncy.

Bug found using Missiles. The lock on reticle got stuck after the missiles were fired off and just floats there after the attack. Not sure if it is from launch and a miss, will try and reproduce since I did not get a screen cap. Death fixes it though.

Overall You guys are hitting the mark for a spiritual successor. Even in the demo its scratching the itch I have had for years. Fluid movement and fairly solid gunplay. Keep it up.

Xtr3m3

Deepstriker
Ark Liege
Aug 21, 2018
Heya guys just finished messing on the demo.

Auto rifle felt underwhelming, also hard to see the hits but i know demo :)
Plasma gun was like a trip down memory lane felt good to use and can only get better.
Jetpacking about was hmm .. slow ?? a little drifty maybe
Crater .. can't believe you added crater :D again can only get better but was fun to use
Gliding was perfect
The fire dash .. is hmm bad .. no offence but when your used to a firecat that attempt is kinda lacking in pazazz but again it's only a demo :)

The overall speed of the gameplay needs to go up a few notches

To be honest for a pre alpha test demo its going good guys keep it up,

Will have more to say on things in a more constructive manner when we are down the road some and it means something, for now keep on keeping on :)

Tighlia

Ark Liege
Oct 10, 2018
So, things I notice from the current demo

1:) Movement is... alright. I really feel the need for a 'tap to sprint' option, I constantly try to move on the ground, and feel that in most other games I play, this is a standard feature, so not having it with high mobility mech suits is a little jarring.
2:) Plasma gun's AoE is rather small feeling, and as stated from other posters, it really feels like it needs more gravity to the projectile, as it feels like it's meant to be a grenade rifle type weapon, or, perhaps less gravity and more speed, and made into a sort of anti-materiel rifle. To counteract this, a dedicated grenade launcher style weapon added in, with a larger blast radius and more gravity, hopefully with bombardier-style HUD sighting.
3:) Weapon switching. Oh boy this needs addressed a little. I hit the wrong key so many times trying to get it to work I thought it was busted after I got iced by a player in this build. The font needs tweaking a bit, because that's a '1' not an 'I' or an 'L', and I spent over 4 minutes hitting those two keys to no avail.
4:) Abilities: The missile rack is awesome, but I believe an indicator until how long a second target lock is acquired is needed in the HUD, as well as what the maximum number of locks is.
The fire charge: I still have no idea what this thing is used for, it seems to be some kind of attack, but really it seems more like a movement sidegrade that you could activate while jump-jetting to get extra inertia. Possibly for a more damaging comet strike, that scales based off player momentum?
5:) Tsi-Hu movement. Hooray for moving entities! But-uh... those animation speeds need some tweaking to match their height and stride length.

Overall: Very solid progress so far, team. I had a somewhat interesting play style back in FireFall, a support gunner, so, I'm ever more excited to help the team iron out what they can in hopes that I can be something like that again.

Nov 18, 2020
Phoenix, Arizona
I have Some small Art/Animation suggestions on making the mecha we run around in more visually interesting and a bit more dynamic and lively while running around in it. Hopefully that's okay to post here too. So...since we are mainly seeing it from behind, why not add some stuff to make it more visually interesting as well for example:

those back panels on it that look like little panel flaps near the what I can only describe as the Spinal area on the mecha. They honestly look like they should be moving on occasion (think Transformers Fall of Cybertron. how every little piece on them moved as if adding more "life" and making the models more dynamic) (War for cybertron/Fall of cybertron also utilized the Unreal Engine and those games ended up being mind-blowing due to little details like that. this game is no different it looks so beautiful so far)

Like you know how gills on a fish movie while breathing in water? Have those back panels moving in a similar fashion as if say, Generating power or energy through the mecha idk. just an idea. but yeah little details like that would be fantastic. Some more glowy details hear and there too like energy readouts or lights to indicate your weapons are powering up before you fire them, maybe even have the missile pods open and close before and after firing the missiles. little stuff like that, Some scorch marks on the thruster area would be nice to make them more visually appealing too. you guys have all the detail from worn paint, chips and nicks, and dirt and grime on them. A little more extra details on there wouldn't hurt. :) Am I to assume most of that will be taken care of as the game gets closer and closer to getting an Alpha Release? :)

Thanks for your time and patience on reading my reply and making this cool game. :)

PartTimeJedi

Em8ER Adjudicator
Staff member
Archon
Ember Moderator
Nov 13, 2018
Holy Terra
I have Some small Art/Animation suggestions on making the mecha we run around in more visually interesting and a bit more dynamic and lively while running around in it. Hopefully that's okay to post here too. So...since we are mainly seeing it from behind, why not add some stuff to make it more visually interesting as well for example:

those back panels on it that look like little panel flaps near the what I can only describe as the Spinal area on the mecha. They honestly look like they should be moving on occasion (think Transformers Fall of Cybertron. how every little piece on them moved as if adding more "life" and making the models more dynamic) (War for cybertron/Fall of cybertron also utilized the Unreal Engine and those games ended up being mind-blowing due to little details like that. this game is no different it looks so beautiful so far)

Like you know how gills on a fish movie while breathing in water? Have those back panels moving in a similar fashion as if say, Generating power or energy through the mecha idk. just an idea. but yeah little details like that would be fantastic. Some more glowy details hear and there too like energy readouts or lights to indicate your weapons are powering up before you fire them, maybe even have the missile pods open and close before and after firing the missiles. little stuff like that, Some scorch marks on the thruster area would be nice to make them more visually appealing too. you guys have all the detail from worn paint, chips and nicks, and dirt and grime on them. A little more extra details on there wouldn't hurt. :) Am I to assume most of that will be taken care of as the game gets closer and closer to getting an Alpha Release? :)

Thanks for your time and patience on reading my reply and making this cool game. :)
Welcome! Nice feedback you wrote. Just so you know, the Kickstarter is slated to drop early 2021 (couple months away!)
It will include a playable slice of the game, specifically a THMPR encounter. And a short movie to go along with it.
You can gain access to the Demos by becoming a monthly patron for a very small fee (plus skins every month) or buy a newcomer backer pack which comes with tons of perks.
If you have any questions just ask here on the forum or for a quick answer, join our discord, link is on the top of the main forum page.
Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.