Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth, USA, East Coast
discord.gg
CHIEF CHAT BRIEF SUMMARY FROM THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 9, 2021

==== MAIN POINTS ====
► We have a new, experimental build for everybody! Last build we ported the Whitebox demo to Unreal Engine 5. Today’s [Thursday, September 9, 2021] build is the first time we've used Unreal Engine 5 technologies.

► Today [Thursday, September 9, 2021] we're going to explore Nanite, which is really a kind of fantasy technology for games. It's a technology that lets you render an unlimited amount of polygons onto the screen.

► The purpose of today’s [Thursday, September 9, 2021] Dev Build is a terrain test with nanite on players PCs with varying types of hardware.

► The terrain used for the nanite build is from the Quixel Megascan Library.

► We’re only 125 subs away from reaching the goal to have the Heavy Omniframe modeled for the Playable Mockup!

==== GENERAL POINTS ====
► The purpose of today’s [Thursday, September 9, 2021] Dev Build is a terrain test with nanite on players PCs with varying types of hardware.

► Grummz: I want to point out that we just got this terrain in and we're learning WITH you guys, this is absolutely new technology. I also want to point out this is NOT meant to be the final representative look of Em-8ER.

Not only is this placeholder nanite but, we're also not even sure if nanite is the right solution for us.

► Grummz: I want to be clear, what you see here is not representative of the final product. This is very much a work in progress. We are on an UNreleased engine. This is NOT a commercial release of Unreal Engine 5. This is a very experimental build and you can expect to see less bugs and a lot of performance improvements over time.

► Grummz: While we've had Unreal 5 Whitebox demo running on everyone's machines and no one had a problem with it, this is the first time we're using nanite. So I'm VERY interested to know if people can actually run this on their lower end cards in particular.

► Grummz: *I'm SO happy about the new audio set up, moving to using Wave XLR instead of Voice Meter software.*

► How do you like the NEW “Stream Starting Soon” screen on today’s [Thursday, September 9, 2021] stream?

► What technologies does Unreal Engine 5 have?
- It has Lumen for lighting but, Em-8ER is not using all Lumen yet. We changed up the lighting a little bit in this build. We’re experimenting with some of the lighting systems in Unreal 5.
- Unreal 5 also has Nanite, which is another new feature. Nanite let's you draw an infinite amount of polygons, basically.

► Grummz: *Unreal Engine 5 is a next generation game engine we're running on. It's is so new, it's not even released yet. It's in a testing beta mode. You can expect improvements and enhancements going forward. It's been surprisingly stable for us [Dev Team] and those of you who have been playing the Unreal Engine 5 test build, thank you for that!*

► Thanks to you guys, we've done some upgrades!
Remember how Grummz asked for help getting his whole streaming stuff set up and going? You guys totally came through with help!

► Grummz: Two things happened last stream.
[One] I had an issue with RAM using the modeling tools. Developing with Unreal 5 is very RAM intensive; especially with their modeling tools. So we had to upgrade the RAM. You guys came through for us and I was able to get 128 GB of RAM which I'll be installing *after* the stream so that nothing goes wrong on stream.

[Two] We also got a new wifi six router and a new cable modem because I know that we're having low FPS issues and other stuff here. After the stream we're going to install the RAM and upgrading the network here. So thank you for that! Unfortunately I do have to stream with wifi from this machine so, hopefully all that will help.

► There is actually no official documentation on Unreal Engine 5, only some video. The Dev Team is learning it as they go. See the previous Chief Chat Streams for the last two weeks as a reference.

==== FUTURE PLANS ====
► The community asked and Grummz said he wants to provide a download executable of the Feli Demo, as a free cam mode so we can move around the Feli model ourselves; as well as one for the Bunny skin! PLUS ANYONE will be able to download these demos and check out our player models! Stay tuned, they’re coming soon!

► The Dev Team’s upcoming goals are:
- Share with the community the first reveal of the newly modeled Tsi-Hu, untextured; and brand spanking new! Plus the knee biters as well!
- More optimized terrain in the next build.
- Demonstrate more Unreal 5 Tech – The “IK” System

► The Dev Team may decide not to use nanites for the terrain. But it may work very well for base building and the Omniframes.

► Grummz: These [Founder] dropships are going to get bigger by the way because they're going to have interiors!

==== Q & A ====
► Question: Did you use Nanite on the Feli skin?
Grummz: No the Feli Gatestrider is not nanite. Currently, we can't do nanite with skeletal meshes, you can only do it with static meshes. Which means you can't have nanite navel unfortunately.

==== FUN STUFF! ====
► FAI’s thanks raffle winner! ♦ Shieen ♦

► Nude or New Tsi-Hu?
Ronyn: Now Grummz, did you say new or nude Tsi-Hu?
Grummz: Uh, n-e-w.
Ronyn: Okay, just making sure.
Grummz: No nude Tsi-Hu. I guess technically, right now, they’re nude. Technically.

==== IMAGES SHARED DURING THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 9, 2021 CHIEF CHAT ====
COLORIZED ROVER TRUCK

COLORIZED COCKPIT

COLORIZED REST AREA

Didn't catch the Chief Chat? No worries, check out the 2 part VOD below to catch up!
Remember they're not around forever so, watch it SOON!

TWITCH LINK(S) FOR VOD:
PART 1 https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1143740622
PART 2 https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1143771380

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth, USA, East Coast
discord.gg
I can't believe I didn't see those colored versions before!
I think we should have an "Art" section in the website so we can see all the concepts you guys are making.
Hi murilomentor#2290
Grummz showed these images on his Twitch stream during the Chief Chat. Sometimes he will also share them in Discord.

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.