SEPTEMBER 21, 2021: IMPROMPTU CHIEF CHAT NOTES – ”Dollar Subs Are Back, New Sub Options, & Marigold, Angel of Death CSR Skin!”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth, USA, East Coast
discord.gg
GRUMMZ IMPROMPTU BRIEF SUMMARY FROM TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, 2021

==== MAIN POINTS ====
► Keep an eye on your EM-8ER emails; there's an email going out today [Tuesday, September 21, 2021].
► NEW options for subs on EM-8ER Patron Subscription Page: https://my.em8er.com/perks/campaign/7
► Check out the NEW skin, Marigold, released today [Tuesday, September 21, 2021].
► AND, check out Marigold's story here:

https://forums.em8er.com/threads/marigolds-story-armature-by-dev-writer-nethril.2111

► A few concept art images of the NEW Tsi-Hu models and the Tsi-Hu movie clip Grummz shared during last Thursday's stream was posted in the Discord.

==== GENERAL POINTS ====
► Our premier waifu artist, CuteSexyRobutts, really did it this time! Taking community suggestions for a Battle Angel Alita style theme, we went to town creating Em8ER's version of a sleek, hybrid femme fatale. We even have full navel this time!

► Not only that, this fantastic new EPIC skin can be yours for just ONE DOLLAR (for a limited time) by signing up https://my.em8er.com/perks/campaign/7.

► And if you want to know more lore, Nethril has written a complete short story about Marigold that you can read here: https://forums.em8er.com/threads/marigolds-story-armature-by-dev-writer-nethril.2111.

September 2021, "Marigold":

► The Gatestrider Pilot and their bond with their Mek runs deep. For a select few who yearn for more, it culminates in the ultimate fusion of flesh and steel. The boundaries blur, the body sacrificed. The pilot and mek are now one, an angel of death on the battlefield of Em-8ER.

Skin Specs - Peerless Grade, Epic
Marigold comes with a short hairstyle
Swappable Hair/Bangle Sensors
Swappable Forearms
Alternate Heels (flats and high)
Tintable modesty chest/back panels - This lets you set the opacity of the panel.
Color & Material shader options.
Epic Rarity - Twice per year for a limited time.

► Marigold: Free Hi-Rez Wallpaper for Mobile and Desktop!
Grab this hi-rez wallpaper for free, no backing required here: https://my.em8er.com/downloads

► Sub for a Dollar, or Lock In NEW Multi-Month Subscriptions!

Yes, the dollar sub promotion is back! We're trying to reach 1500 subs because we really, really want to put a HUGE honking ass MEK into the playable mockup. We're so close, just 125 subs away to unlocking the heavy frame! In fact, we've already started to model it in 3D! Join now and help us make this dream a reality!

► Sub for 1 month for just a dollar, or take advantage of our new savings on 3, 6 and 12 month skins and get up to nearly 2 months free! You'll find the multi-sub packs right on our subscription page here: https://my.em8er.com/perks/campaign/7.

*WARNING:* If you unsubscribe you won't be able to purchase a multi-month pack until up to a month when your canceled sub expires. We are working on a smoother upgrade process for the future.

► New Tsi-Hu! The Tsi-Hu are getting a makeover! They are truer to their kaiju slaver roots, their technology steeped in quasi-magic as they harness the power of the crystal elements of their homeworld! Check out these new work in progress renders!

TWO TSI-HU IMAGES:

Tsi-Hu Unreal Engine Movie Clip!
Check out our new Tsi-Hu model rendered in Unreal Engine 5:

You can support our development efforts and get access to our test builds by becoming a subscriber today HERE or by purchasing a Newcomer Pack with unique bonuses and perks here: https://my.em8er.com/perks/campaign/5! Thank you!

Grummz Talks About the OP-AI in Em-8ER (in Discord):
Grummz: In Em8ER you MEKs are co-piloted by your OP-AI. Your neural bonding level with your OP-AI helps the performance of your MEK.
Grummz: The OP-AI skins are characters you collect with voice pack personalities.
Grummz: The perks of an OP-AI are developed in game.
Grummz: My current thinking is you can unlock more AI slots and have a few personalities and spec them out in different ways.
Grummz: I'm thinking you have to converse with your OP-AI to raise your ratings
Grummz: I think you have to have spent some time with your OP-AI to advance their perk tree.
Grummz: I think each OP-AI could have its own dialog tree and line of stuff to do. Not that complex mind you, simple stuff.
Grummz: I'm thinking the more you use a certain OP-AI with your MEK in battle, the more bonding you get.
Grummz: And by having conversations with your OP-AI to learn more about them, that also raises the Neural Level.

==== KETCHUP SPILLED & BIG REVEALS! ====
Marigold is going straight to 3D, right after the Bunny!
Grummz will contact a male concept artist to do the male version of Marigold, very shortly!
Prices are going to go up on the Newcomer Backer packs in 30 days.
There is NO ETA on the KS yet. Grummz wants to get the characters and Home up and running.
Grummz: “We should have our own towers in Em8ER.”

==== Q & A ====
► Question: Thoughts on having a setting for the modesty filter be on a rotation, so it’ll keep changing the opacity percentage slowly between 0 and 100?
Grummz: You want the modesty panel to rotate and animate? That’s technically possible.
► Question: Is the artist for male version of Marigold going to be the same one that made the male variant of the GCSF skin?
Grummz: I don’t know who is going to do it yet. I have to find someone to do the male version of the Marigold skin.

► Question: There’s no PayPal options for the Em-8ER Patron Subscription?
Grummz: Unfortunately for subscriptions, we do not currently offer PayPal. That’s another one we have to work on. That’s the one that can get complicated.

► Question: Would you mind posting to Discord, the colorized rendered versions of the Space Truck?
Grummz: I will do that. I’ll probably send out an email update about it.

► Question: Are we any closer to a KS date yet?
Grummz: Yes we are closer but, I can’t say how close yet.

► Question: How will the lock in work in case of the multi month subs then? Will their discounts/re-bill stay locked as well?
Grummz: If you are locked into a multi month sub when Kickstarter hits, you will retain that rate all the way through.

► Question: Which is cheaper – regular sub or multi month?
Grummz: Multi month is cheaper. That’s why we did it because the community asked for a discounted multi month.

► Question: Why is Home a priority before Kickstarter?
Grummz: Home is a priority because I want to work on the characters and the Light Omniframe to get those done. And it all starts with the characters for the Light Omniframes.

► Question: When the game goes live, are we locked to the sub option we’re in? For example, if I’m on 12 month option, I always have to pay 12 months at a time? Can I pay a lower tier but keep the price (like switch to 1 month at a time and keep $7.95)?
Grummz: I don’t know the answer to that. I want to say if you wanted to go between those packs, you should be able to. I just don’t know technically if I can commit to that yet. I didn’t anticipate how awkward the upgrading path would be right now so, I’m reluctant to decide anything further about whether the packs are locked in the future, at this time.

► Question: How is the Home demo coming along; is it going to be the next big demo?
Grummz: As far as big demos go? Yes. Home is going to be the next big demo. Characters and Home. Harry is still working on Tsi-Hu. Once he’s done, Nizuul will probably come back to work on the encounter. So you can see that it’s in parallel. For Home it’s mainly going to be Ricardo and myself to get the characters working. And I’m actually looking for an Unreal level designer to help out.

► Question: Can we get Nizuul to talk about the Tsi-Hu A.I. at some point like Harry did for the animation system?
Grummz: That’s a good idea! Maybe we can arrange that.

► Question: Speaking of Ricardo, can we get a skin consisting of only a speedo and a red bandana?
Grummz: When summer comes along again, we should probably do speedos and bikinis just like all the Japanese games do.

► Question: So are you hoping during beta that Home becomes Em-8ER’s Limsa Lominsa?
Grummz: Actually, that’s exactly it. I want it to be a place where everyone goes and just admires the fashion. If I’m going to take something from FFXIV I definitely want that social hub to be social and a show off place. There needs to be a mount area too. That’s the one thing they lack in Limsa Lominsa.

► Question: when you say "hub", you're still gonna do open-world from the hub right? this won't be like Vindictus where everything is instanced?
Grummz: Hub will probably have to be not so much instanced but, phased. So if there’s too many people in an area we might have to make it phased.

► Question: What is phasing?
Grummz: Phasing is a "high level channeling" where you are subscribed to a different prop and mob channel on the server, but your low level connection doesn't skip.

► Question: We can have different attachments for our mechs, right?
Grummz: Yes. You can have attachments for your mech. We’re still in the middle of deciding what the final mech customization will be. Some of that depends on our nanite tests. It depends on how the nanite test proceeds, that determines how we are going to design the cosmetics systems for mechs.

► Question: How many characters can be rendered in an area at one time (with little frame drop)?
Grummz: We’ve had a hundred Omniframes and several hundred Tsi-Hu in the area. And so far that’s working; with non-nanite terrain, with just regular terrain.

► Question: Will we get a proper hug emote or maybe even a princess carry emote?
Grummz: Maybe with Unreal Engine 5’s new control rig and IK re-targeting we can get proper hugs in-game that would be nice.

► Question: With nanite on the mechs, does that mean visible damage, paint chipping, burning, etc?
Grummz: I hope it means visible damage, I don’t know yet. I gotta make sure it runs a decent framerate first.

► Question: Hey Grummz can you say what percentage of firefall players left the game at the character creator?
Grummz: We lost about 20% at the character creation screen, on a F2P game. That's why we spent so much time on characters.

► Question: Is that lower or higher than expected?
Grummz: 20% ws too much for me. It was the first thing you did. There was zero customization. Just choose head, hair.

► Question: What led to the creation of the Subscription program?
Grummz: I realized early on that Em8ER needs a continuous funding model if we want to be free of publishers. I was looking at the success of Patreon models.

► Question: Wanted to ask, are we going to see more armored skins like the GCSF skin? I have nothing against the skin-tight and all that but I find that the problem games often face with these skins is that you have next to no choice. They aren't bad, it's just not something I see myself using if I want a more immersive time.
Grummz: We keep them skin tight so you can fit into frames but, I'm thinking about how to do more.

redsimon#0945

Firstclaimer
Nov 24, 2019
► Question: Speaking of Ricardo, can we get a skin consisting of only a speedo and a red bandana?
Grummz: When summer comes along again, we should probably do speedos and bikinis just like all the Japanese games do.

Don't forget the one piece swimsuits!

► Question: Wanted to ask, are we going to see more armored skins like the GCSF skin? I have nothing against the skin-tight and all that but I find that the problem games often face with these skins is that you have next to no choice. They aren't bad, it's just not something I see myself using if I want a more immersive time.
Grummz: We keep them skin tight so you can fit into frames but, I'm thinking about how to do more.
Let's not forget that Mechwarriors in Battletech run around in muscle shirts (or no shirts at all, just cooling vest) and shorts. With that in mind, skin-tight seems immersive to me (could be a suit that cools/heats, or perhaps something else, like acts as additional armour or seals wounds etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.