Section - Gameplay Goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
(Please help proofread prior to publication: spelling, grammar, and pointing out any inconsistency or confusing section. Gameplay feedback not needed until later, we want to focus on getting the book to print).

Em-8ER

A harsh alien world. A nomadic tribe’s last chance. A war for the planet’s secrets.

In Em-8ER players are explorers, soldiers and pioneers. They fight to establish a new home world, to mine the planet with THMPR MEK/As and build new bases and outposts to extend their reach. Secrets and riches lie in wait, long lost treasures of an ancient civilization. War and battle rage across the surface as xenomorphs from the world’s past rise up and do battle against the players. Their war machines of giant Kaiju creatures versus the humans in their MEK suits and huge THMPR mining MEK/A.

Massive Planetary Warfare

Huge PvE battles in a large scale, outdoor, first and third person, shooter environment. Player piloted MEKs (mechs) vs Kaiju. Hundreds of players fighting back against a ruthless invading army of shapeshifting aliens and giant Kaiju creatures. The heart of Em-8ER are the invasions and counter-invasions that rage across the planet. Players terraform pockets of the planet, establishing new colonies and bases. Tsi-Hu shapeshifters, with their marauding Kaiju creatures, invade and attack in an attempt to destroy the players advances.

Omniframes

Players pilot Omniframes: lightweight MEKs (Mechanically Enhanced Kinetics) that are fast and agile, and can jumpjet, skim and glide over long distances. Omniframes are needed to battle the strong and fierce Kaiju that attack regularly, being the only thing that can protect a human from being shredded or bitten in half instantly. Omniframes are upgradeable, and collectible. Players can have as many as they can build, outfitting them in different ways for different mission roles.

World Goals - Terraforming & Mining

The goals in Em-8ER are both individual and shared. Shared goals give the player a common focus for the war, and world tasks to complete together. The main group goal in Em-8ER is to terraform all the zones, and build and defend all the bases. Players open up new terraforming pockets and must mine and collect resources to build the bases and machinery that will transform the zone from frozen wasteland to lush biome. The more land is terraformed and mined, the higher tiers of technology are unlocked and available to players. There is no limit to the number of tiers. New zones and new tiers are released with each episodic update of the game.

Unlocking Tiers

There is no leveling in Em-8ER. Instead, advancement is more about giving the player options than huge power increases. You can develop your Omniframe’s abilities, weapons and armor as you progress both individually, and as you help advance the world state.
Abilities, weapons, and such are arranged in tiers. Each tier gives more options and sometimes more powerful upgrades to craft. Players unlock tiers by gathering resources and using them to reach higher tiers up to the maximum. The maximum is determined by how far the players have progressed in the world goal.
Base Building

Building bases is important to the goal of terraforming a zone, and defending it from invading Kaiju. The more bases are built, the faster zones can be terraformed. Lose bases to Kaiju, and your terraforming will slow or even revert back to an earlier phase. Bases also serve as refineries for gathered resources, defense points against invasion, and deployment zones for player Omniframes, THMPRs and future vehicles. By contributing resources to new bases, players can activate more buildings, more defenses, and capabilities for that base.

Crafting

Everything is crafted by players in Em-8ER. While not fighting in invasions, players are out mining resources with their THMPR MEK/A (the “A” stands for “autonomous”). Mining is not a passive activity, but a hectic battle. As the THMPR mines, swarms of smaller Kai-ju, with their Tsi-Hu alien masters, attack in waves. The more you can withstand, the longer your THMPR can mine, and the rarer the resources that are acquired. Push it too far, and you can lose both the THMPR and its’ resources. It is an encounter designed to push and reward the skill of players.

Rewarding Skill

Players can succeed well enough by crafting resources and building frames and bases. But players who want to test themselves can use their skills to maximize their abilities. The THMPR encounter is designed to reward skill by granting rare resources for “pushing the limits.” Similarly, many weapons and abilities have an additional skill based component. Higher twitch skill, reflexes, and timing will give extra benefits to using many of these weapons and abilities.

Episodic

Em-8ER is episodic in story, gameplay and world. Regular updates will give player access to new areas to terraform and fight over. These zones will include new resources, and bring new tiers to unlock to expand the crafting of abilities and weapons in the game. Some updates will, if the game is successful, include releasing vehicles like aircraft and tanks and larger MEK to fight against new Kaiju. The story of Em-8ER will likewise unfold over time, expanding from first contact with the Tsi-Hu to all out war.

Apr 23, 2017
Just look up, can't miss him
Homeworld should be a single word if google hasn't failed me, will keep reading.

Also, keep in mind most of the following will be suggestions.
---
"War and battle rage across the surface as xenomorphs from the world’s past rise up and do battle against the players. Their war machines of giant Kaiju creatures versus the humans in their MEK suits and huge THMPR mining MEK/A."
---

Possibly delete "and battle" to avoid duplication of the word later on. "War rages across..." should work just as well. I'd also change "war machines of giant Kaiju" to "giant Kaiju war machines"

---
Huge PvE battles in a large scale, outdoor, first and third person, shooter environment. Player piloted MEKs (mechs) vs Kaiju. Hundreds of players fighting back against a ruthless invading army of shapeshifting aliens and giant Kaiju creatures. The heart of Em-8ER are the invasions and counter-invasions that rage across the planet. Players terraform pockets of the planet, establishing new colonies and bases. Tsi-Hu shapeshifters, with their marauding Kaiju creatures, invade and attack in an attempt to destroy the players advances.
---

Delete comma after "third person"
Possibly delete the second sentence for redundancy and alter the third to something like "Hundreds of players fighting back against a ruthless invading army of shapeshifting aliens and giant Kaiju creatures using their MEKs (mechs)
"Players" is missing an apostrophe for possessive.

---
Everything is crafted by players in Em-8ER. While not fighting in invasions, players are out mining resources with their THMPR MEK/A (the “A” stands for “autonomous”). Mining is not a passive activity, but a hectic battle. As the THMPR mines, swarms of smaller Kai-ju, with their Tsi-Hu alien masters, attack in waves. The more you can withstand, the longer your THMPR can mine, and the rarer the resources that are acquired. Push it too far, and you can lose both the THMPR and its’ resources. It is an encounter designed to push and reward the skill of players.
---

Its does not have an apostrophe for possessive form. "Its" is the correct usage.

---
Em-8ER is episodic in story, gameplay and world. Regular updates will give player access to new areas to terraform and fight over. These zones will include new resources, and bring new tiers to unlock to expand the crafting of abilities and weapons in the game. Some updates will, if the game is successful, include releasing vehicles like aircraft and tanks and larger MEK to fight against new Kaiju. The story of Em-8ER will likewise unfold over time, expanding from first contact with the Tsi-Hu to all out war.
---

"will give player" should probably read "will give the player"
//larger MEKS later on? Now you're speaking my language :)

Last edited:

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth, USA, East Coast
discord.gg
I'm not sure if this is because of the formatting of the forums, or not. I noticed at least on this page, the lines for spacing between sections and the section titles are inconsistent. Is it two lines above and below a section title, or one?

Also, a line needs to be inserted above the section title, "Base Building".

I'm being nit-picky, but I was told to be, so .... :D

Terricon4

Base Commander
Base Commander
"In Em-8ER players are explorers"

In Em-8ER, players are explorers... Without a comma that sounds really weird, implying... in ember players, are explorers... rather than, in ember, players are explorers...

--------

"Their war machines of giant Kaiju creatures versus the humans in their MEK suits and huge THMPR mining MEK/A."

Their war machines reads more like massive mechanical machines over augmented organic monsters. Something like "Their giant Kaiju, creatures augmented for combat, versus..." or "Their giant Kaiju, creatures augmented into great war machines, versus..." might be clearer.

--------

"Massive Planetary Warfare"

This entire paragraph reads more like a series of standalone bullet points rather than a paragraph. If you want to keep it as a paragraph then adding a few parts to connect them together might help.

For example instead of "The heart of Em-8ER are the invasions and counter-invasions that rage across the planet. Players terraform pockets of the planet, establishing new colonies and bases. Tsi-Hu shapeshifters, with their marauding Kaiju creatures, invade and attack in an attempt to destroy the players advances.", something like

At the heart of Em-8ER are the grand invasions and counter-invasions that rage across the planet. With players terraforming pockets of the planet to establish new colonies and bases, they will encounter Tsi-Hu shapeshifters with the support of their marauding Kaiju creatures launching invasions and attacks in an attempt to destroy the players and all their advances onto the Tis-Hu world."

--------

"The more land is terraformed and mined, the higher tiers of technology are unlocked and available to players."

The more land is terraformed and mined, the higher the tiers of technology that are unlocked and available to players.

--------

"Base Building"

Needs space between it and the previous paragraph. Spacing seems a bit inconsistent here overall so hopefully that was just you copying it into the forums but always double check your spacing.

--------

"Some updates will, if the game is successful, include releasing vehicles like aircraft and tanks and larger MEK to fight against new Kaiju. The story of Em-8ER will likewise unfold over time, expanding from first contact with the Tsi-Hu to all out war."

MEK should be plural.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017
Noticed just a couple of optional things - whatever I've spotted will be near the end of the quote, and highlighted in red.

Omniframes

Players pilot Omniframes: lightweight MEKs (Mechanically Enhanced Kinetics) that are fast and agile, and can jumpjet, skim and glide over long distances.
Unnecessary "and" (highlighted).

Omniframes are needed to battle the strong and fierce Kaiju that attack regularly, being the only thing that can protect a human from being shredded or bitten in half instantly. Omniframes are upgradeable, and collectible.
Unnecessary comma (also highlighted).

World Goals - Terraforming & Mining

The goals in Em-8ER are both individual and shared. Shared goals give the player a common focus for the war, and world tasks to complete together.
I think that should be "players".

Unlocking Tiers

There is no leveling in Em-8ER. Instead, advancement is more about giving the player options than huge power increases. You can develop your Omniframe’s abilities, weapons and armor as you progress both individually, and as you help advance the world state.
Unnecessary comma.

Crafting

Everything is crafted by players in Em-8ER. While not fighting in invasions, players are out mining resources with their THMPR MEK/A (the “A” stands for “autonomous”).
The explanation for what MEK and the A in MEK/A mean should probably be in an earlier article/paragraph (assuming these are in order).

Rewarding Skill

Players can succeed well enough by crafting resources and building frames and bases. But players who want to test themselves can use their skills to maximize their abilities. The THMPR encounter is designed to reward skill by granting rare resources for “pushing the limits.”
The last quote mark should before of the full stop/period (sidenote: first time I've used "before" properly, I keep forgetting that it's actually two words).

Besides that, it seems pretty stellar to me. Sorry if anything I mentioned here was too inconsequential.

Status
Not open for further replies.