Real Llfe WORKING Omniframe

Aug 14, 2016
Nice. But that doesn't surprise me one bit. Japan has a history of making life sized working models of mecha.
For example a life sized 1 to 1 scale Gundam Unicorn

Not counting that both the USA and Japan are trying to make cheaper exosuits for their militaries and construction work. Those of us who live in the USA need to keep an eye on groups like DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) to help us see how far we have come in having things like practical A.I., robots, and mecha.

Sayan

Firstclaimer
Nov 18, 2016
Last edited:
@Grummz

As I was playing RAGE, I thought...

Right. Forget ammo-clips and reloading with energy-weapons. Instead, they should have an over-heating mechanic, like, in the first Mass Effect game. That was a good way to explain the technology and gave a good excuse not to use clips.

Projectile-based weapons our frames could rely on heat-sinks/clips, ejecting them as they'd overload. But, with energy-weapons, our frames and our human pilots shouldn't need to piss about with reloading.

Aug 18, 2016
Oct 3, 2018
Unfortunately these are all fairly weak. The main one (OP) does not have any power source or motors.
Being purely mechanical would mean it takes more effort to move in it than outside it. (assuming conventional physics still apply in this universe.)

As a mechanical/robotics engineer, i honestly believe it is possible to build a functioning, fast and maneuverable small scale mech. (No gliding, flying or energy shields. sliding or "skating" might be possible with some ingenuity. )

It would be possible to have it flat land sprint at around 80kph. With a skilled pilot, Parkour wouldn't be out of the question.

Given the resources i honestly think i could do an omni-frame style unit justice, in real life.

It would probably cost around 50 thousand for me to get all the parts together. i would need one co-worker who knows his way around CAD and a year-ish of free time. (I'm self employed, so i could probably pull that.)

I'm assuming in the cost that i'm working for free, There's nothing on this planet i would love more than to be able to put my schooling into something that cool.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018
It would probably cost around 50 thousand for me to get all the parts together.

I should have specified:

Canadian Dollars and that would be the frame alone. No cosmetics.

It would cost a fair amount to coat it. For civilian usage i think i would go with a Nylon polymer. Ridged, rugged and soft enough that if you fell on it the weight of the steel and aluminum frame wouldn't shatter it. (Just scrape and gouge) This would also protect the valuable internals from deformation.

There's an almost innumerable list of things i would do if i was building one, (I've been building robots and dreaming of mechs since i was maybe 7 years old.) I've spent more time thinking and planning out how to build one than i feel acceptable admitting.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I should have specified:

Canadian Dollars and that would be the frame alone. No cosmetics.

It would cost a fair amount to coat it. For civilian usage i think i would go with a Nylon polymer. Ridged, rugged and soft enough that if you fell on it the weight of the steel and aluminum frame wouldn't shatter it. (Just scrape and gouge) This would also protect the valuable internals from deformation.

There's an almost innumerable list of things i would do if i was building one, (I've been building robots and dreaming of mechs since i was maybe 7 years old.) I've spent more time thinking and planning out how to build one than i feel acceptable admitting.
I can only dream to see this happening and being used for civillian i'd probably use it just to see how high i can jump in basketball or if i could cycle even better but i suppose it would be used for walking perhaps to run !

Oct 3, 2018
It could be used for industry or sport. :3 that's the joy of a humanoid machine, once it's built the only limitations are imagination. If a human can do it, One of these would do it stronger and faster.

Albeit a mech might have a hard time wiring a pc.