Ranged and Melee Weapons.

VRK9

Sep 15, 2017
Portugal
Normally shooter games have only slots for 1 primary weapon, 1 secondary weapon and 1 melee attack, with punch or knife or another small melee weapon.
Warframe gave one step forward and introduce the 3rd weapon slot for one melee weapon at choice, and em8er want to follow the same path.

What if em8er gives one more step forward in that case?
My suggestion is, what if we treat melee weapons like ranged weapons?
Primary melee weapons are two hands weapons and secondary melee weapons are one hand weapons.

In this case, every omniframe could equip 1 primary weapon and 2 secondary weapons, for ranged or melee weapons, causing that every player could make full ranged or melee weapons build.
Maybe the special of the light and medium omniframes need to be changed since both of them permit that players dual wield melee and ranged, if this will be made.

What do you think?

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Nice idea would there be a limitation on the frame's capability?

A heavy frame would have enough strength/power and capacity to use/hold dual heavy hammers as opposed to a light frame who could find it difficult and put strain on its movement speed or something else.

However if all frames had suitable melee weapons to their frame with just a dual variant hmm
E.g light frame dual katana's, Medium frames dual tomahawks, and heavy frames dual Skull crusher hammers

i know in warframe all frames can use any melee weapon dual or single giving more variety.

The only thing i feel is that if we gave all the frames this option wouldn't it lose the unique appeal for certain frames?

Light frame - dual melee since they are light fast and can chop things in style that is their specialty
Medium - dual guns they are all rounders and can pew pew pew
Heavy - use big shields perhaps even big launchers and more tanky

Personally i like the idea each frame type has a unique attribute even though i enjoy playing games like warframe, Em8er is a different kind of beast just my view though

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
I recommend a primary/secondary/tertiary slot system and that any weapon can be placed in any slot. Wherever the weapon is slotted will determine how effective it is. I would love this idea to be used for abilities too but in a slightly different way. Ability slots could be set up as above too...but...there is usually an Ultimate ability. My recommendation is that any ability can be slotted as the player's Ultimate. With both of the above I believe player OF builds will be super varied. The balancing part for the Devs won't be due to PVP but due to making all the various builds about even so playstyle becomes the determining factor versus best in slot (crafting quality not withstanding).

VRK9

Sep 15, 2017
Portugal
I thought than in this case frame types could work like this:

Light Frame:
1st slot: two hand melee weapon or two hand ranged weapon.
2nd slot: one hand melee weapon or one hand ranged weapon.
3rd slot: one hand melee weapon or one hand ranged weapon.
Abilitie: if the second and third slots are melee weapons, the OF can dual wield them.

Medium Frame:
3rd slot: one hand melee weapon or one hand ranged weapon.
Abilitie: if the second and third slots are ranged weapons, the OF can dual wield them.

Heavy Frame:
3rd slot: one hand melee weapon or one hand ranged weapon or shield.
Abilitie: if the third slot have a shield, the OF can dual wield it with the second slot.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
As long as basic abilities moved into an ultimate slot ramps up damage and CD. Lol 12 second CD at ultimate slot damage would be a little unbalanced. But I like the opening for preference of play styles.

Shadow

Terraformer
Greeter
Feb 13, 2017
Highly suggest reading the Omniframes Section on Vision Book Project
A small snippet for this specific discussion is already mentioned.
All frames have these base slot categories:

• Sensors (omniframe head)
  • Movement (jump-jets, servos, wings, etc.)
  • Active Abilities (abilities that the player can trigger and control)
  • Passive Abilities (abilities and upgrades that function in the background automatically)
  • Primary Weapon (the primary weapon used by the omniframe)
  • Secondary Weapon (the secondary weapon used by the omniframe)
  • Melee Weapon (the melee weapon used by the omniframe)

In addition to these standard categories, omniframes have specialized slots depending on their frametype:

• Light frametypes: Light frametypes have an additional slot for their melee weapon and can dual wield melee weapons.
  • Medium frametypes: Medium frametypes have an additional slot for both their secondary weapons, allowing them to dual wield certain guns.
  • Heavy frametypes: Heavy frametypes have an additional slot for a shield.

Sturgeon General

Base Commander
Jul 5, 2017
USA
I recommend a primary/secondary/tertiary slot system and that any weapon can be placed in any slot. Wherever the weapon is slotted will determine how effective it is. I would love this idea to be used for abilities too but in a slightly different way. Ability slots could be set up as above too...but...there is usually an Ultimate ability. My recommendation is that any ability can be slotted as the player's Ultimate. With both of the above I believe player OF builds will be super varied. The balancing part for the Devs won't be due to PVP but due to making all the various builds about even so playstyle becomes the determining factor versus best in slot (crafting quality not withstanding).
I love this idea, especially the ultimate ability bit. One of my favorite rouge-like games, Wizard of Legend, uses this system. You are allowed four total spells with one being you "signature" or ultimate. A spell in this slot can be charged to cast an overloaded version of that spell for great effect, additionally it could be cast normally with a minor enhancement. This opens up every ability as a "build around me" ability which makes coming up with builds and combos that much more interesting and exciting. I would be beyond thrilled to see this type of ability system implemented into the game

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
I like the abilities idea, it sets up for some cool builds, but not the weapons. The idea that a weapon's effectiveness diminishes based on what slot it is put in is makes putting weapons in those slots less incentivizing. Further, having slots for specific weapons prevents some game breaking exploits. The idea that a weapon can have a role outside of its normal slot is alright, and warframe does an interesting job of this, but having the ability to equip 3 primary weapons on a frame is ridiculous.

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
...The idea that a weapon's effectiveness diminishes based on what slot it is put in is makes putting weapons in those slots less incentivizing. Further, having slots for specific weapons prevents some game breaking exploits. The idea that a weapon can have a role outside of its normal slot is alright, and warframe does an interesting job of this...
Good point, especially with how Em.8ER has the OF perks going at the moment perhaps primary/secondary weapon identifiers should be changed to better describe them. I was going to suggest Heavy/Medium/Light/Melee/Shield but only 3 are appropriate and easy to remember (Heavy, Melee, & Shield). Heavy weapons/Shields can only be used by the Heavy OF and Melee weapons effectively describes those with the Light OF having 2 Melee weapon slots for dual wielding. So what to call the other 2? Basically this split is so folks will know what weapons the Medium OF can dual wield v/s the weapons it cannot. My suggestion is "Standard" or "General" weapons with those the Medium OF can dual wield having an asterisk (*) as the visual que.