PvP, how it could work?

Harven

Commander
Jul 28, 2016
Some interesting ideas, but why does the game *need* PvP? Why can't we focus on PvE and let those who want PvP, go play one of the countless games that have PvP in them? PvP brings with it countless problems, as was demonstrated in the old Firefall.

Yes, many can be worked around with proper design, but again, why does the game *need* PvP?

At least for the first few years, the Dev team is going to be rather limited in number, which translates to a llimit on what they can focus their time/talents on. Why make things more complicated than they need to be?
Sorry doublepost. Edit : Deleted last post so nvm. I thought this one said everything I wanted.

I preffer PvE games over PvP, just so you dont think otherwise with the answer ill give, but here is why.

I believe Em8er needs PvP because, i would say, income, money. The most succesful online games out there, are about PvP. LoL, Fortnite, Overwatch, Dota, etc... if you go to Twitch, the top streamed videogames are about PvP, not PvE. That means, PvP has a gigantic audience, willing to spend lots of money, which would benefit the game. Is has been long since a PvE game made it to the top, WoW is still the best one in thst category it seems, and PvP is still an important mode of the game.

Now, Im not saying the game needs it now, but I guess Im saying eventually, it will be needed. As in my last post, lets see for instance Fortnite. If it wasnt for BR, the game would have been forgotten easily, or maybe not forgotten, but not have been nearly as succesful as now. A well made PvP game mode will beneffit the game.

Im really happy that this game is PvE, as I said, I preffer PvE over PvP, and its vital for this game to have its focus clear, which it does, unlike firefall which was jumping bettween PvP and PvE the whole time. And Ill be fine if this game never gets to have PvP, if its PvE is working, but Im just making a suggestion based on facts, PvP is great and has a massive audience.

So yeah, it would be nice to see some kind of PvP added into the game, BR being the best option so far. As time goes, a few years into the future, when the game is stable, BR or any other PvP game mode could be looked at. If BR is the choice, it could have more unique mechanics, that make more sense to the game’s Lore, and dont feel like totally a different game, same graphics, same everything, but doesnt feel like you are playing some random money grabbing game mode that the devs made.

Now, my own crazy idea for the future of PvP :) lmao me making ideas for a game that I dont even know how it will look like

Realm Royale is kind of a guide and proof that BR can still be BR but also feel different gameplay wise, not just kill everything that moves. To start, the fight happens in an extremely agressive and dangerous planet that the gatestriders have found. This planet is so rich in mats, in resources, that Gatestriders themselves made the planet dangerous, as they started fighting each other to get control of its resources. Only the fiercest of the gatestriders go there, to show their power and strenght. Instead of having a bus go across the map, let a gate open randomly in different sides of the map, to use the gate concept. So a gate is opened on the north (or south, or etc...) of the map, 100 players are teleported and start gliding down. This gliders are different though, they have incredible speed until a certain height, maybe by pressing shift you activate a speed that can let you cross the entire map in seconds. So, once people land, the fun begins.

People will start looking for mats, resources, and will then look for watchtowers, where they will craft equipment, such as gliders, class weapons and abilities, etc..., like in realm royale. But this is different. The first 5 minutes of the match will be for getting allies, joining squads, or choosing to play solo. Solo players will get resources easier. Also, these first minutes players can die all they want and still keep respawning from the sky. And also, these first minutes players will try to get as many resources as they can. Once the 5 minutes are over, Watchtowers are unlocked and players can craft with thr materials they have gathered.

Now, maybe there could be THMPRs, that will randomly come from the sky to help gatestriders mine. These THMPRs will be neutral, which means no one can kill them. They will be walking around, thumping, as long as the gatestriders keep them powered with their resources. Resources will jump out of the ground as the THMPR mines them, keeping the gatestriders ready for anything that might come out of it. During the first 5 minutes Gatestriders will either be looking for resource nodes (like Fortnite trees/rocks) and mining them, or looking for armor parts im different facilities that they can either transform into resources or use them, or fighting for the large amount of resources from THMPRs.

Once the 5 minutes are done, the map will start to close, people will start to craft, and people do not respawn anymore. Gameplay keeps functioning the same way, only now people will start dying or getting more powerful.

And it works the same way as Fortnite, unlocking cool skins that you can use in PvE world or in PvP, Gun skins, Etc...

So yeah xd, Im extrmely happy with just PvE but a well done PvP game mode can not only be fun for PvE players but get attention for a game that may lack of it.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2017
Portugal
I agree with the developers that the foremost priority should indeed be to solidify the PvE experience. However, i'd still like some sort of "competitive Kaiju slaying speedrun" mode, where different guilds would compete to slay a given type of kaiju within a restricted play area / instance where only that guild could play. I believe Monster Hunter does something like this in an "arena-like" gamemde. It's more of a "PvEvP" type of deal, but it doesn't go against the philosophy of the game, nor does it require a specific selection of weapons or remade game balance to accomodate.

Also, I usually dislike battle royale games, but if Em-8ER can distinguish itself enough, I'm all for it!

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
These are good ideas never really played BR mode i always did enjoy the small scale pvp of 4 vs 4 or even 6 vs 6 etc

The things i like about pvp
- Can be more challenging than an a.i usually
- Adds a different mode as you mentioned
- pvp could be more than just shooting each other what about racing too
with the vehicles or even mechs, and modes like jetball from firefall that was more of a future sports
- Friendly competitive banter

The things i dont like about pvp
- Toxic players/communities
- Drama fest
- Bullying/harrassement
- hack accusations/cheaters

The things i like about pve
- story/quests
- Open world
- pace can be slower & even difficulty depending on the area or enemies facing
- Players aiming for the same/similar goals
- Other players cannot mess up your progression
- To play solo or in a small group
- Loots
- bigger clans can helper smaller clans

The things i dislike about pve
- Once most things are done can get repetitive but same could be said for pvp also depends on updates
- Servers could be over saturated depends on how many there are hmm
- Servers that are not great for your location e.g. oceanic using eu server

For me always enjoyed pve the most although i like pvp at times but not all the time depends how much time i have and my mood.

Having pvp could add to the game though there are many pvp games out there already so a really nice polished and regularly updated pve could last for a long time. Pvp does have its place i am not sure pvp would be priority since pve and how firefall was makes me think how amazing it would be in the em8er universe

Wouldn't mind pvp on bikes but i like super mario kart/road rash :D
it is satisfying bopping someone on the head on a bike and doing nice jumps that either
are amazing or end up stuck in some rocks!

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
"The things i dont like about pvp
- Toxic players/communities
- Drama fest
- Bullying/harrassement
- hack accusations/cheaters"

This....is....in....every.....pvp.....environment.....
ever....created....and....always.....will.....be....

Even going back to 007 Golden Eye four player on N64 and getting punch in the arms by friends or someone shouting "he's scoping he's scoping". Hell I'll even go back to Street Fighter II on SNES and cousins getting into fights over Guile's perfect timing leg sweep that you couldn't recover from.

So....no thanks. Don't want to see people driven off from Em-8er over this pvp issue but all I want (and Grummz has confirmed) is that 'IF' there ever is pvp in Em-8er, it will be separated fully. Either by zone, server, however it might get done.

Where I do agree on pvp for Em-8er is 110% supporting Panda. Make it a sporting game/competition approach to stick with a uniqueness that Em-8er has and avoiding the shooter main stream pvp. (Road Rash would be very cool)

Feb 4, 2017
I am not too much on PvP in MMO games, and hate open world PvP due to greifers. Just Imagine being lvl 1 and someone your level hits you, you fight back only for their lvl 90 buddy to 1 shot you... Or some lvl 90 jerk sitting outside the new player start area and killing everyone who walks out of the "safe intro area" and then you get a death penaly... One game I played if you wanted to pvp, you could turn on a "pvp flag" and pvp till your heart is content with others who also wanted to pvp. Another is to have "warzones" that you could pvp in with people in your level group, or have level restricted areas that have higher resource values and be open PvP. Then other games had a mix that also included all of these and even had separate pure PvP servers for those who love it.

Last edited:

Zoroastrian

Deepscanner
Jun 22, 2017
I did really love the firefall zones where you had to team up with your guildmates to take over the bases from other players. But that experience could be easily satiated with kaiju taking over bases and working with everyone as a whole. Also now I don't have any friends so it'd be awkward teaming up guilds :( lol.

Dreamin

Base Commander
Base Commander
Dec 4, 2016
PNW
True, true. Let's just ignore those competitions, and pretend they never happened. Or, you know, the whole concentration on PvP. That never happened too.

Yes! This whole game should be nothing, but Battle Royale! I'm soooooo on board!

Dude, what happen on the dev side and what happen on the game side are two different things, if you just have a hair stuck and want to flame others please chose the complaint department. Otherwise the editing my post from two months ago that you already responded to and leaving no context is just a personal attack, exactly the atmosphere of PVP that the majority are trying to prevent. May you find a creative outlet for your ... whatever..

DinsdaleP13

NEW - SHIFTER
Jul 26, 2016
Arizona, U.S.A.
Dude, what happen on the dev side and what happen on the game side are two different things, if you just have a hair stuck and want to flame others please chose the complaint department. Otherwise the editing my post from two months ago that you already responded to and leaving no context is just a personal attack, exactly the atmosphere of PVP that the majority are trying to prevent. May you find a creative outlet for your ... whatever..
Sooooo...You're not on the Battle Royayle side?