Purity and materials

Which idea do you like?

• Total voters

Vedemin

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Hello everyone!

At forums there is an idea of materials having purity. It is not a bad idea, but too complicated. How about only ores having purity?

So when you are going to refinery with 10000 grams of iron ore purity 35 than when refining it would be like this:
mass*purity/100(purity is in percent)/100g(ingot weight)
So it would be:
10000 g * 35 / 100 / 100 = 35 ingots
Mechs could mine tons of materials, you can also freely change values of algorithm.
Next, alloys. IRL alloys are better than pure materials. Why not also in Ember? Better alloys could make better gear. Good and simple thing. This would make crafting more varied :)

Jul 28, 2016
But is it complexity for the sake of complexity is the real question.
You ask this after all the hoorah I raised in your Should crafting mats be the currency we use thread? :D:p:);)

In my opinion crafting should be simple.
  1. You pick the device you want to craft from a menu of available devices
  2. You move sliders around until the final device has the stats you want
  3. You provide the mats the printer is asking for
  4. Optionally save your slider selections so you can print another of the same device when you want to.
  5. Press Print
  6. Make a note of how long it will take to print and come back when it's done to claim your new toy.
So, to answer @Vedemin the printer should do all the work, the game will combine everything into alloys and compounds as needed, or keep pure mats as needed.

TankHunter678

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
You ask this after all the hoorah I raised in your Should crafting mats be the currency we use thread? :D:p:);)
Well, the thing is that I am not a fan of things like having 100 rarities/purities per material that you have to go out hunting for. I would rather have a lot of different resources to go hunting after, and their rarity be how often they spawn/how hard they are to find. Rather than having a number assigned to them and thus that is their rarity you got to go find.

Difficulty in acquiring should determine things like rarity.

The amount you out of refinement should probably be a fixed number. Like x amount of ore equals x amount of bars.

Jul 28, 2016
Well, the thing is that I am not a fan of things like having 100 rarities/purities per material that you have to go out hunting for. I would rather have a lot of different resources to go hunting after, and their rarity be how often they spawn/how hard they are to find. Rather than having a number assigned to them and thus that is their rarity you got to go find.

Difficulty in acquiring should determine things like rarity.

The amount you out of refinement should probably be a fixed number. Like x amount of ore equals x amount of bars.
I have no issues with getting 100 rarities of a raw material, as long as I can refine them to a consistent (say 90%) purity. And that purity is what the molecular printer should be based off of for a base line.

I would also be OK with running your 90% pure mats through the refinery again and getting them back at 95% purity at an additional cost to the player and a minor stat improvement in crafting if the player chooses to use the purer mats.

But the bottom line to me is to keep it simple for the player. I don't care if there are 80 different purity levels of raw mats, as long as they get refined to 90% pure to keep crafting (and hopefully trade) simple.

Edit: I say 80 different purities because I doubt people will bother to thump for mats less than 20% pure.

TankHunter678

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I don't mind going and refining materials multiple times to improve their purity, I just do not want to go out and have to be constantly disappointed because people beat me to the high purity nodes out in the open world. Or have to constantly go out and look for a specific purity to make my parts.

Also, if its going to get refined to 90% purity anyways, why have multiple purities out in the open world in the first place?

Why not leave improving purity at just the refining process?

Jul 28, 2016
Also, if its going to get refined to 90% purity anyways, why have multiple purities out in the open world in the first place?

Why not leave improving purity at just the refining process?
I suppose that's a valid point.

I would consider that if you bring back a less pure load you'll end up with less refined material.

So if you bring back 100kg of 60% pure you'll get roughly 50kg refined material.

Whereas, if you bring back 100kg of 80% pure you'll end up with roughly 70kg of refined material.

Refined being the base 90% pure.

Or the whole thing could be abstracted for simplicity's sake.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
This entire concept of purity is meaningless really. Any material once run through a refining process (depending on which one it might be several times) should always end up with the output as close to 100% pure as possible. Rather than trying to complicate matters by using purity, we should simply say this is how much material is pulled out of the ground, and the unwanted stuff shouldn't even be referenced. If there is 100 kg of iron in the ore you have collected then you should basically have 100 kg of refined iron when you are done with the process.

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
I like quality of resources myself...and I like them simple. For example (no matter the resource), my ideal would be: low quality/mid quality/high quality/very high quality/epic quality/legendary quality. Could also call it low grade/mid grade/high grade/etc. Standard/stock/initial player gear is made with low quality resources.