Purchasing animations

Purchase cosmetic animations?

• Horrible idea....

• Meh... maybe...

• I like the idea

Results are only viewable after voting.
May 14, 2017
Was just watchin some videos and thought of this (could be a bad idea, idk. posting it anyway...), but maybe the game could have some different running or idle animations you could purchase? It would be cosmetic only. I know it would come at the cost of extra foot injuries, but thought I would mention it. People may like it...

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
I'm a "huge" advocate for emote animations; they really bring extra life to virtual space. As for special running animations it could be interesting but there are only so many ways a humanoid can run before it becomes outlandish comedy territory.

I am always uncertain how I feel about putting emotes behind paywalls. I understand the sale of emotes pays for the cost of production but emotes bring so much added humanity to the robotics of virtual space. I perceive emotes as an essential quality of life (QOL) necessity for multiplayer games. In my experience games become more engaging and immersive when people are using emotes.

Lord of the Rings Online (LotRO) has a mind boggling list of emotes; it's absolutely fantastic for their Role-playing environment and it benefits all spectators. They have a paywall for their more elaborate and uncommon emotes but even their free emotes list is quite large.

I am unsure how extensive Em8er plans to generate emotes but I hope they have more than /dance,salute,tikidance,sit,wave and I further hope common emotions are freely available but I understand if fancy emotes are locked such as /backflip,roar,snowball,chickendance,wall-lean

All in all the more emotes the better; they give players more opportunities to play their character's persona.

/Cough, sneeze, joke, taunt, fist bump, brandish-weapon, rude, laugh, flinch, swoon, wave, excited-wave, depressed, sigh, cry, dust-shoulders, golf, pitcher, fidget, raise hand, disagree, agree, sinister, threaten, cheer, clap.

Imo, the more animated the animation the better. Waving down friends with enthusiastic wave emotes just brings energy to the group right at the start

Aug 14, 2016
Remember it doesn't count as running if your whole body doesn't leave the ground at some point in the cycle. This is one some people make the joke that running is really nothing but a series of jumps made for speed. The more air time an animal has while running the faster that move. This is also why unless you are trying to make tight turn you take less steps when running other a given distance than you would when walking. So as long as you have enough power and distance in each leap of your steps your legs don't really have to move all that fast (unless you are running on something soft like sand, mud, or water because you need to act faster than the object can react to you). So there are a lot of different ways people and animals run going by there needs and goals. Although it always comes down to same factors of power efficiency over a given distance, balance changing speed and direction, and the metabolism of the animal / energy reserve of the robot. This is why prosthetic legs designed for running are all just giant springs because well that is how human and animal legs work when running. With some of the faster quadruped animals, like the cheetah, having their spine also act like a giant spring launch them forwards even farther and faster.

Anyway, personally I would love to have a running animation that looks like how I run in real life. One of those people who walks toe first then heel rather than going heel then toe like most other people. And when I run my heels don't even touch the ground unless I'm trying to stop or make a sharp turn. I use the tendons in my feet and legs store up energy for my next step and is great for sprinting. Although it might be hard for people who are not use to balancing on the ball of their feet and toe to do. But if you want to try and learn how to run this way would start off doing it without shoes on if you don't have shoes that allow your feet and ankles move freely.