Project Genom review Oct 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
The first few hour of game play are all about getting people engaged. I feel that the game megaman has better engagement. Anyway, to the game:

Negatives
Poor ark map/level design. Map design needs depth (ie upper and lower arrows) it has pointers on your gui, but not if it's up or down.

Overly linear quest fetching / a lot of booring running around, very kill / fetch, talk to this person.

Inventory management seems a bit confusing at first.

The skill sheet is ok, just needs to be explained better.

Seems to have no pro rata kill XP.
Some areas you can go to and not die but in fact get stuck.

Having a help menu or a /help would be intuitive.
multiplayer was not good at all.

You can ninja loot everything.
A lot of new things are shown in the skill sheet that aren't in game yet.

Positives
Good engine fluidity.
Voice on parts seem good ( like it feels like there's a bit of dry humor ingame)
running animation is well done.
Nice body models and weapon design.
Fighting is good, strafing and dodge.
The world really looks like it's been pasted together by an intern.
The trees look nice.
The internals look like FF; but darker.
The quad bike is fun (level 25 item).
The bosses look good.

Interesting
I like the damage reward on the skill sheet (reminds me of the one from Funcom's The Secret World).

(Image above is the tree from TSW)

You use a weapon you get skills for that weapon area.
Good use of the open world feel. About 8hrs gameplay.

The Genom trailer and the game are two completely different worlds.

It should not be in alpha. It is not feature complete. It feels like the games only 5% finished as there are areas that have nothing in them.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
AS AN ALPHA SH*T TESTER, I'M DISAPPOINTED OF THE EARLY STAGE. BUT F*CK IT, IT'S IN EARLY STAGE. TOO F*CKING EARLY FOR AN EARLY SH*T ACCESS RELEASE CRAP F*CK.

SHOOTING AND SOUND OF GUN STILL F*CKING LAGGY/BUGGY LIKE A DRY PUSSY.

YEAH, THAT MAP.... WHAT HE SAID.

NICE HAVING NOW THE KEY MAPPING AND SOUND OPTION/SETTING.

OVERALL, IT CURRENTLY FEELS LIKE ONE'O THEM 4EVER-IN-ALPHA-GAME OR THOSE THAT NEVER LEFT THE ALPHA STAGE.

I STOPPED A FEW FRIENDS OF MINE FROM PURCHASING IT. AND WAIT TILL FULL RELEASE. IF IT EVER GET THAT FAR.

OH YEAH, F*CKING EDIT HERE:
THE LVL SYS IS JUST LOL
SHOOT A BUNCH OF CRITTER TO LVL UP CERTAIN WEAPON YOU'RE CURRENTLY SHOOTING WITH.
AND LET A BUNCH OF SMALL CRITTER BITE YOU TO DEATH TO LVL UP CERTAIN ARMOR YOU'RE CURRENTLY WEARING.

Last edited:

Silv3r Shadow

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 29, 2016
Id very much like to play the trailer version of Project genom, or at least what it is presenting to be. (even if they havnt made it as of yet) *imagination*
but yeah, I cant disagree with the previous comments, last time I played was around Christmas last year, not much has progressed.

Jul 26, 2016
Australia
Wait, why is that a positive?
A lot of work has been done on the Ark area, it's really nice, but you go outside and the graphics kinda look good, but the map is really incomplete.

But in saying this, the UE4 engine really is very nicely implemented. They use instances for ark area and outside; it's funny seeing players running around, they're really distinguishable from the npc's.

The netcode that TORQUE_JOEY is talking of is very poorly implemented when there's seems to lag when there's more than 3 people in a 50m proximity area. That's all about server tweaking, getting away with low traffic/server loads v's good gameplay.

I seem to have a thing about server optimisation, it's something that is a cost that has to be put up with as it's the ecosystem and community in which a game resides.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2016
Their recent trailer... I dunno why they paid for that. It just show the things that they hope will be there. But the level of graphic art seen in the trailer is way too high. Almost as if the marketing team is delusional. But then what marketing group ain't?

If you look at the trailers for other MMOs... they tend to exaggerate or overplay the graphics while showing off stuff you can do in the game. But then not all trailers for MMOs exaggerate as much as that. Honestly It kinda of reminds me of the trailer for Firefall or Skyforge.

Status
Not open for further replies.