Procedural Textures - Milestone BONUS feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
I've been keeping this quiet, but I'm working on an unplanned, extra feature for the THMPR art demo in Unreal.

I was not satisfied with an empty grey plane to showcase the THMPR. So I've been creating procedural textures to create some ground cover for the upcoming art demo.
Since Em-8ER starts as a volcanic ice world, like the moon Io, I needed snow and ice.

Texturing has come a long way since Firefall and WoW. Using a program called Substance Designer, you can procedurally create almost any texture you want. It can be any resolution, and sliders can control how much it looks new or worn, rough or smooth, or any number of factors.

This is a snow texture I made for the art demo. No photographs were used. Everything is synthesized from scratch, using the nodes and connections you see in the upper part of the screenshot.

I find the whole process fun and addicting. Looking forward to making some ice to go with the snow next.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
We'll do a store for t-shirts at some point. :) Just not right now as we're busy with the art demo.
Ya, this. Everything in its own time and place. Demo is paramount for this game's birth.

But, I feel the rest of the community. I have been wearing my Firefall stocking cap (beanie whatever) with the duck tape (second piece due to name change) angled over the Firefall with Em-8ER written on it in permanent black marker. People may look at me weird, but I want to wear something putting Em-8ER out there and I just know SOMEONE will catch what it means....sooner or later.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
OMOrgasmic...I love that sort of stuff, too bad it's $150 for the base software, kinda out of my price range for just playing with. Wish they had a freeware version instead of a 30 day version.

Jul 26, 2016
Australia
OMOrgasmic...I love that sort of stuff, too bad it's $150 for the base software, kinda out of my price range for just playing with. Wish they had a freeware version instead of a 30 day version.
There's VUE if you'd like to play with some environments. At my old workplace, they purchased the full versions which we used it in creating architectural renders for clients. The short version of VUE still gives you savable environments as well as landscapes to create/make/play with.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I've been keeping this quiet, but I'm working on an unplanned, extra feature for the THMPR art demo in Unreal.

I was not satisfied with an empty grey plane to showcase the THMPR. So I've been creating procedural textures to create some ground cover for the upcoming art demo.
Since Em-8ER starts as a volcanic ice world, like the moon Io, I needed snow and ice.

Texturing has come a long way since Firefall and WoW. Using a program called Substance Designer, you can procedurally create almost any texture you want. It can be any resolution, and sliders can control how much it looks new or worn, rough or smooth, or any number of factors.

This is a snow texture I made for the art demo. No photographs were used. Everything is synthesized from scratch, using the nodes and connections you see in the upper part of the screenshot.

I find the whole process fun and addicting. Looking forward to making some ice to go with the snow next.

mmmm looks like a nice piece of tofu

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
Best part is, if you change the colors, you will get a giant block of milk-chocolate.

...or dirt, if you prefer that.

that reminds me of a project I did back at college. I did a year and a half of game dev, and this was one of my favourite things to create:

edit: why won't it let me insert images?

edit 2:

got it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.