Please correct me if I'm wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jooba

Jul 27, 2016
Wasn't Mark Kern the reason Firefall fell apart after it's update changing the game from the skill tech trees to whatever came after? I was an avid supporter and a Founder before the update (can't remember version number) and I loved the game inside and out. I played for hours a day, and it brought back the sense of exploration and awe I had when I first started playing World of Warcraft back in 2005. It was THE game I wanted. I opened dozens of bug reports and was very active on the forums.

Over the ensuing months after that update, I remember seeing all over the forums the problems that upper management was causing, and ended up seeing that Mark Kern had been removed from the company. It was stated that he was the core of the issue of the changes, and after he left it did get better for a little while. Gameplay was fun again with new updates, the first release of the open Beta was fun, especially with the number of players that were logging in. Then The9 came in and everything went downhill again.

So my question is, why should I trust Mark Kern this time? It was stated he ruined the game I was so excited to have, and dumped money into in order to help development. Why would this game end up being different? Doesn't anyone remember what happened to Firefall all those years ago?

Jooba

Jul 27, 2016
I honestly don't care if Mark was the reason Firefall failed, not that I think he is the reason either. Firefall is dead, and nobody else is stepping up to make another - and I'll be damned if I don't at least try and support a spiritual successor to Firefall.
But shouldn't you at least trust someone who is capable of doing it? It's all over that he's the reason it failed. Why would you trust him again to make a similar (or any) game?

Sik San

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
But shouldn't you at least trust someone who is capable of doing it? It's all over that he's the reason it failed. Why would you trust him again to make a similar (or any) game?
http://crixa.io/2016/05/what-firefall-was-supposed-to-be/

"Of course, what shipped with Firefall was a compete redo of my original game (they spent six months undoing my game and implementing their own version prior to ship)." M. Kern (c)

Jooba

Jul 27, 2016
http://crixa.io/2016/05/what-firefall-was-supposed-to-be/

"Of course, what shipped with Firefall was a compete redo of my original game (they spent six months undoing my game and implementing their own version prior to ship)." M. Kern (c)
Ok? I'm not talking about prior to ship. I'm talking about Christmas 2013 when he was removed and all the way back to 2012, when I joined the closed beta. I'm not talking about what happened after he left, I'm talking about what he did while he was still there and how the game went off a cliff 3-5 months beforehand.

Jul 27, 2016
The only thing that I can fault Kern for is his stubbornly blind fixation with eSports. Other than that, what he was doing was amazing.

DeadDuck

Jul 27, 2016
The only thing that I can fault Mark for is when he brought The9 into the picture back in 2010: http://www.red5studios.com/2010/03/...sition-of-majority-interest-in-red-5-studios/

I certainly understand how the funds provided by The9 extended Firefall's TTL, but it also ensured its death. As current CEO, Mark Kern was absolutely involved in this, unquestionably.

Hindsight being 20/20, Mark Kern has already addressed this problem for Ember: it will not be free to play. So, the need for external support should be minimal here. So, while I fault him for having done it to FF, I support what he plans to do here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.