Playing the Em8er Demo

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
platinamelodia#3907 made a good point about playing the demo i'd also like to play with others sadly unable to type ingame but if added the demo on steam as a non-steam game then could use the steam chat.

Have added this in the steam Em8er group too
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/em8er

I am interested to play in the Eu, pacific and Us server depending on when we can make it but sometimes might not because life things happens!

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
Probably aren't going to see the chatbox until the demo that showcases the player hub space station. iirc this social demo is the next one.

During the announcement of the player hub Grummz specified that the Feli skin will be useable, the chatbox will exist, and there will be zero gun-play. This social demo will be free to play to everyone, including non-backers.

I expect subsequent demo builds will have the chatbox.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Not sure if this was mentioned, each time wanted to change to a different server location i'd have to close the demo completely and reopen to see the option for server location.

Is there a way to change the server location while ingame or to have the option to go to the login screen and change instead of closing the demo completely?

Could make it convenient to test/play and switch to other server location.

Another thing with the resources we obtain, is this eventually going to be global so that resources are carried to other server locations or is it going to be separate?

Noticed that when i was collecting resources had certain things in the Eu server but completely different in the pacific/Us server.

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Another thing sometimes when collecting resources it was tricky to make out the number of the quality of that resource.

Perhaps something like this can be easier to see, if they are in the same direction also distance indication with colour perhaps?
resources.jpg

If the resources could be alphabetical order A-Z so that all e.g Cardonite are in one area.
An example could be if you have Cardonite and at first it is just one Cardonite in the red highlight.
when you first see this it could be something like

Cardonite | Quality (198 - 606) | Amount (Total 192)

After you click the Cardonite this could expand showing the other quality of Cardonite and individual amount for each.

table.jpg

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
In the demo the coral shell that looks like 3 stuck together could be known as Shell central

We have to stop the tsihu from taking over Shell central otherwise they will use all the shells to create a super sound blast that would break our meks and also eat them :eek:

Not really but i had to make it very dramatic so that it would be intense!

We managed to defend the Shell in the US server, we will need more HELP, there is much more shells if you go inside them they are good shaded spots.

In the future i imagine shells will have big spirals and you can slide inside them, and into our underground network. We have top secret discussions inside and you can only go inside if you know the secret words!

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Does anyone know what all these settings mean all i want to do is play at 1080p as smooth as a marbled floor and all that.

What is resolution scale do i need it what should i set it too, it is 70 at the moment.

My overall quality is medium so the others is medium

Do i need negative / positive mouse acceleration?

What is the fov setting both are the same for me 1st and 3rd person

Unable to untick mouse smoothing is it needed?

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
Hey Panda, hope this helps.

• What is resolution scale do i need it what should i set it too, it is 70 at the moment.
  • My overall quality is medium so the others is medium
  • Do i need negative / positive mouse acceleration?
  • What is the fov setting both are the same for me 1st and 3rd person
  • Unable to untick mouse smoothing is it needed?
~ Resolution
Resolution Scale should be set at 100 for best quality, or lower for better performance. The game will render at resolutionScale%, then upscale to fit in a 1080p window. Lower values will result in a blurrier game, so you want this at 100, even if you have to sacrifice other settings.

Depending on the 'Overall Quality' you select, it will set itself to a specific scale.
- At Low -> 50
- At Medium -> 71
- At High -> 87
- At Epic -> 100

~ Graphic Settings
Overall Quality changes all settings under that menu to the setting you select. Setting it to Medium will set everything else to Medium. If you can't run everything at Epic, best change the settings individually to find what best suits you. It will change to Custom. Ensure you Apply and Accept the new settings, and if nothing changes, you may need to change your resolution to something else, Apply and go back.

~ On mouse acceleration and smoothing.
Short answer: No. You don't need either of these enabled, but I recommend playing around with them in case you find they're useful to you.

Positive mouse acceleration = the slower you move your mouse, the faster your view turns.
Negative mouse acceleration = the faster you move your mouse, the slower your view turns.
You can't disable mouse smoothing unless you change it manually in the GameUserSettings.ini file under %appdata%, and even then I'm not convinced it actually disables it permanently.
This is down to personal preference, but on at 1080p I found the following settings to be serviceable.

3rd Person Sensitivity -- 1.07431
1st Person Sensitivity -- 1.88905

Negative Accel Off
Positive Accel On
+ Accel Start -- 3.36505
+ Accel End -- 4.69694
+ Accel Multiplier -- 1.04272
Mouse Smoothing On (since it can't be disabled)

3rd Person Hori -- 105
3rd Person Vert -- 72.5
1st Person Hori -- 105
1st Person Vert -- 72.5
FOV Scaling -- Vert-
Camera Y Offset -- 151

Bear in mind, you'll likely need to alter this based on your mouse. My mouse is a Cougar 700M at 3200DPI.

~ Field of View
FOV is again user-dependant. Most FPP/TPP games run between 80-100 FOV, up to 110. It can come down to personal preference, as lower FOVs may feel claustrophobic and at higher FOV you'll experience a fish-eye effect. Stick around 90 for the best experience and tweak up towards 110, see what works for you. You'll likely have different FOVs between 1st and 3rd person.
A higher FOV will use more system resources as you graphics card must render more on screen.
Please don't set it too low or too high. Em-8ER goes from 0-180, and more extreme FOVs are unplayable.

~ Other Stuff
Windowed Fullscreen and Fullscreen should also help the game run a little better.
You can also consult the program that comes with your graphics card. I personally use an AMD Vega 64, so I use the Radeon Adrenalin software. There are settings within these programs that could benefit you.

A good suggestion for the build feedback threads would be an "Auto" option. I believe the game is meant to do this (since the Ember M2 Art Demo did), but I always end up with everything on the highest setting and the game shows lower settings in the menus.

If there's anything wrong here, feel free to correct me. I can also take screenshots of different settings if you need.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I am not sure if it can handle epic so was staying on medium setting.
Plus graphics cards are soo expensive at this weird time didnt want to poop it.

Here is my spec

Graphics: NvidiaGtx 1070
Cpu: i7 8700k
Ram: 16gb
SSD: 256gb
HD: 512gb
Mouse: logitech g9 laser

Questions!

a) If there is a 1 setting that helps when there is huge battles and chaos etc would you choose high over epic setting or just stick with medium?

Low looks good even without the extra things like shadow and foliage etc i am sort of torn between medium and high and yet do not want to lose performance.

b) my interwebs speed is roughly 35-40mb speed for download and my upload is about 7-9mb
will it be ok to stream and play?

c) My settings wont change it is stuck on medium its tricky to change settings in the overall settings tried individually and it works for some but shadow stays at medium. I wish there was a default button to revert all to normal settings.

My textures are now on high instead of medium that changed i have yet to change the other settings yet because chores time gets in the way :eek:

Oh the question how do i change settings so they are changed without it going back to the previous setting?

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
Plus graphics cards are soo expensive at this weird time didnt want to poop it.
I was looking at a 6900XT, they're $2,800AUD/$2,150USD for a good one over here. Maybe if I give up my food, protein, house, electricity, etc... Gaming is expensive man.
a) If there is a 1 setting that helps when there is huge battles and chaos etc would you choose high over epic setting or just stick with medium?

b) my interwebs speed is roughly 35-40mb speed for download and my upload is about 7-9mb
will it be ok to stream and play?

c) My settings wont change it is stuck on medium its tricky to change settings in the overall settings tried individually and it works for some but shadow stays at medium. I wish there was a default button to revert all to normal settings.

d) Oh the question how do i change settings so they are changed without it going back to the previous setting?
a) I get 100 FPS currently on the demo at 3440*1440 on Epic, but in battles I can drop as low as 40. With the new DLSS and FidelityFX, and optimizations made by Crixa and Epic, it should only improve. If I wanted more frames, I'd drop shadows or post-processing lower, maybe foliage even (since each piece of foliage would have shadows on higher settings). Anti-aliasing could be lowered to Medium and you would get used to it pretty quick.
That, or lower the resolution. The game still looks good in lower resolutions.

b) You'll have to try and stream and see how it goes. Your upload speed should be fine if nothing else is running in the background (and would probably still be fine if you were playing an online game), but it can come down to your ISP.
For playing Em-8ER, you won't have an issue, especially if you're near one of the servers.

c) The Overall Settings will change the settings below to whatever you select. Better to select an option from Overall Settings, then change the individual ones up and down as per your liking. If you need to reset everything back to "Default", just select an option from Overall Settings like before.

d) Change settings without going back to the previous setting? When you change it, click 'Apply'. If nothing changes, try 'Accept'. It should update immediately either way.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I was looking at a 6900XT, they're $2,800AUD/$2,150USD for a good one over here. Maybe if I give up my food, protein, house, electricity, etc... Gaming is expensive man.

a) I get 100 FPS currently on the demo at 3440*1440 on Epic, but in battles I can drop as low as 40. With the new DLSS and FidelityFX, and optimizations made by Crixa and Epic, it should only improve. If I wanted more frames, I'd drop shadows or post-processing lower, maybe foliage even (since each piece of foliage would have shadows on higher settings). Anti-aliasing could be lowered to Medium and you would get used to it pretty quick.
That, or lower the resolution. The game still looks good in lower resolutions.

b) You'll have to try and stream and see how it goes. Your upload speed should be fine if nothing else is running in the background (and would probably still be fine if you were playing an online game), but it can come down to your ISP.
For playing Em-8ER, you won't have an issue, especially if you're near one of the servers.

c) The Overall Settings will change the settings below to whatever you select. Better to select an option from Overall Settings, then change the individual ones up and down as per your liking. If you need to reset everything back to "Default", just select an option from Overall Settings like before.

d) Change settings without going back to the previous setting? When you change it, click 'Apply'. If nothing changes, try 'Accept'. It should update immediately either way.
Shish prices maybe it comes down by next year hmm

This is my settings at the moment
display setting.jpg

display.jpg
I think it looks good, even though i see abit of jaggered foliage most look really nice.

shell central.jpg
Shell central aka coral shell hangout is still safe!

Dlss is disabled for me don't think my graphics card supports that :(
I'll be looking into a new build in the future if i ever save up i'll need your thoughts then i'll let my cousin or friend build it for me hopefully :D

Another thanks to you and Valaetoshiru for taking time to go through the setup.

Btw the tsihu are much faster than previous wasn't expecting that burst of speed i am fearing that they will adapt and be more unpredictable !!!!!