• Genderless or Androgynous.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Changes based on my mood.

Votes: 23 40.4%

• Total voters

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
So I have to point out, your actual question is somewhat nebulous in nature. Are you asking which sex we choose for our Avatar (which seems to be how everyone is responding), or are you asking what Gender you the player personify while playing a multiplayer game. For humans at least sex is reasonably black or white. Your either Male, Female, or Neutral. Gender on the other hand is an entire gray scale and much more nebulous in nature.

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
So I have to point out, your actual question is somewhat nebulous in nature. Are you asking which sex we choose for our Avatar (which seems to be how everyone is responding), or are you asking what Gender you the player personify while playing a multiplayer game. For humans at least sex is reasonably black or white. Your either Male, Female, or Neutral. Gender on the other hand is an entire gray scale and much more nebulous in nature.
I don't really understand the neutral thing unless people are born without reproductive organs or are born with reproductive organs from both sexes, which is extremely rare.

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
I don't really understand the neutral thing unless people are born without reproductive organs or are born with reproductive organs from both sexes, which is extremely rare.
Ok no let's clear this up, you CANNOT be born without reproductive organs, there's more to it than just reproduction, for that to happen you'd have to be lacking both sexual cromosomes and wild as genetics can be you have to posses at least one X cromosome and it contains enough to give you female disfunctional sexual organs.
You CANNOT have BOTH fully functional sexual organs either becouse the Y chromosome contains genes that repress full female organ devenlopement, you can have males with XX but that's becouse the part that codifies male sexual devenlopement has crossed over to the X chromosome and even in that case it's still a male.
Long story short, male and female organs simply DON'T coexist, one or the other is invariably extremely athropized, so at the end you're either female or male, there's no neutrality unless you're a plant.

TL;DR you can be sterile, but you just can't be neutral, humans simply don't come out that way.

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Ok no let's clear this up, you CANNOT be born without reproductive organs, there's more to it than just reproduction, for that to happen you'd have to be lacking both sexual cromosomes and wild as genetics can be you have to posses at least one X cromosome and it contains enough to give you female disfunctional sexual organs.
You CANNOT have BOTH fully functional sexual organs either becouse the Y chromosome contains genes that repress full female organ devenlopement, you can have males with XX but that's becouse the part that codifies male sexual devenlopement has crossed over to the X chromosome and even in that case it's still a male.
Long story short, male and female organs simply DON'T coexist, one or the other is invariably extremely athropized, so at the end you're either female or male, there's no neutrality unless you're a plant.

TL;DR you can be sterile, but you just can't be neutral, humans simply don't come out that way.
Yeah, that's what I thought.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Actually I had a old friend who was born without any sexual organs (not counting breasts) at all, no ovaries, no uterus etc. But you are correct humans are either XX or XY for chromosomes.

Aug 14, 2016
Really that is not true. It is rare, but there cases where people are born with more than 2 sex chromosomes. The odds are low but their are people with things like XXY, XYY, XXYYY, and other combos.

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
Actually I had a old friend who was born without any sexual organs (not counting breasts) at all, no ovaries, no uterus etc. But you are correct humans are either XX or XY for chromosomes.
There you go, breasts count, (assuming you meant devenloped breasts) the hormons that cause that have different effects on males, anyways unless your friend isn't undergoing heavy medical hormontreatments since birth i'd go on a limb and say that there's something that's at least producing estrogen and testosterone
Really that is not true. It is rare, but there cases where people are born with more than 2 sex chromosomes. The odds are low but their are people with things like XXY, XYY, XXYYY, and other combos.
True, but even in those cases you're still not "neutral", the Y cromosome contains genes that repress female X genes so if you have any number of Y there (or hypotetically an X with Y derived genetic material obtained from crossing over) you have always a male.

Anyways i have completely derailed the thread, back on the true topic unless there's mechanical differences, like in PoE/Warframe, where you will at some point have to play both "genders" (i'm looking at you warframe) unless you want to lock yourself out of like a ton of gameplay (anyways characters in those games are too tiny/alien to matter imho, how can people apply gender to warframes i'll never figure out), i prefer to pick a male charachter, it's an immersion thing for me.

Aug 14, 2016
Talking about games where there is a difference in gameplay based on their gender.

In games like Mabinogi there are some bosses that only show up in dungeons if you play as male and some that only show up if you play as female. A good example being the sex demons succubi and incubi. In some dungeons, what boss you fight at the end is based on if you are in group or solo, and sometimes if you are a solo male or solo female. Even if gender doesn't effect most of the gameplay outside of what clothes and armor you can wear. There are a small number of things that affected by your gender, those special bosses are one. It is possible to knock off the clothes of some those bosses and where them. But their clothes are gender locked, so only females can wear succubus outfit and only males can wear incubus outfit, but as they only show up for the opposed gender it means you end up with clothes/armor you can't wear (unless you change you gender the next time you rebirth). So what ended up happening is that some people who farm those bosses for their gear to give to someone else as part of things like wedding proposals. lol
(I'm a person who got titles like "One who stripped a Siren" and "Who Seduced a Succubus" lol)

Also in Mabinogi there are abilities powered by the love between males and females. There are a like 2 abilities in the game where to even get the abilities you need to have a male and a female on the same time working together to get them. One is a magic shield ability that powered by the love and the other is the ability to hold hands with someone so you can let them fly with you in the air. Although after get the ability to fly it can be used with members of the same gender too.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2016
I only play female characters when I'm forced to, either by mechanics in the game (Diablo 2 Sorceress) or visual (Draenei in WoW).
Other than that...male all the way.

Rawgi

Deepstriker
Sep 9, 2016
CA,USA
I did notice many males playing as females in FireFall. Not sure why as i don't see any advantage in gameplay. Maybe some felt more freedom in being able to have a character in both/all genders?

ble003

Commander
Aug 7, 2016
I did notice many males playing as females in FireFall. Not sure why as i don't see any advantage in gameplay. Maybe some felt more freedom in being able to have a character in both/all genders?
possibly yes freedom, but the different gender models for each frame had different hitboxes. originally, the females were smaller; but i think i remember some dev posts about fixing them to have the same volume. i've also seen posts for duelling-tournaments where all competing avatars had to be male for for standardization.

Rawgi

Deepstriker
Sep 9, 2016
CA,USA
I think you are right. To get back on topic, I would play as male. Now straying to the games that require you to be a certain gender subject, was that bird-walking, or derailed? Just curious.

Aug 14, 2016
I think it is on topic, as some people pointed out there are some players who just refuse to play some characters or classes because of gender locking.

Personally, gender lock is not a deal breaker for me. Although ethnicity locking is a deal breaker. There some games that I refuse to play simply because there is not option to make dark-skinned Humans or you can still tell skin color for Humans was an after though just going by things like hair and voice options. Example, there is not hair options that would fit a normal black guy. But that is another topic.