Pilot items and play

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
For some reason I've always thought flare guns in games were cool though I have yet to really experience a game that meets my imagination's expectations. SWTOR and Dauntless have flare guns however I don't feel like the visual effect is easily spotted by players. In SWTOR players usually are not looking at the sky to see the flare and when I played Dauntless in the early open beta the particle effect did not exist long enough to really be admired. Furthermore with Dauntless the novelty of having a flare is really cheapened when everyone spams it.

Em8er can really utilize a flare gun especially since their stater ice landscape likely will not obstruct vision of the sky.

I would imagine that mech-less players will have some items available to them such as grenades and rocket launchers. It would be interesting to create some items that make being mech-less at least a little beneficial until they can escape or get a new mech.

Perhaps Em8er would be interested an item that only grounded pilots can use? A sort of EMP device to disrupt or close gateways that Kaiju use. The downside to this EMP-esque device is it also damages player mechs. Not to say this device is the only means to close gateways but it could be more effective at the expense of risk.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Flares have been discussed a couple times. I am confident there will be some kind of zone broadcast used by players. With Grummz liking night fights and wanting that intensity to be there, player flares would be seen easily. I also wonder, for cross zone broadcasts, if there will be an S.O.S. type ping and arrow on the H.U.D. like Rebel Galaxy or Privateer 2.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Em8er can really utilize a flare gun especially since their stater ice landscape likely will not obstruct vision of the sky.
Also another thought you know the batman signal they use with the big light and see the batman sign well what if it was portable and you could light up a signal so with the optional scroll say if you wanted to warn someone of e,g

Danger Avoid = red flare/ Red skull symbol
Request help = Yellow flare/ yellow hand symbol
Medical aid = Green flare/ green cross symbol
Protection/defense = Blue flare/ shield symbol
Repair = Orange flare/ orange spanner

My only concern is it could be abused so if it is done too many times there could be a cool down
to avoid that.

I also wonder, for cross zone broadcasts, if there will be an S.O.S. type ping and arrow on the H.U.D. like Rebel Galaxy or Privateer 2.
Cross zone broadcast would be neat!

Would this be holographic like dead space or through the visor of a helmet or just on the location of the screen?

maybe it could look different e.g

Pilot out of mech:

- Holographic hud in 3rd person

- Visor hud in 1st person

Could huds be toggled on and off and have the option to resize?

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
I will simply trust the dev team to devise an awesome non spammable way of doing it.

But Panda, dude....red skull to stay away/avoid? Man that ain't the Reaper way. To quote the movie Constantine "Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you."

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
A distress/onmiframe calldown flare, a PDW, medical and repair kit as well as a map would be the basic kit for every pilot. I love going full operator in Warframe, but given the environment, pilots would only have limited survival options on Ember outside of their omniframes. Enough damage output to kill a few tsi-hu if need be, but no chance against a large group unless you were sufficiently skilled and stocked with the right equipment.

Maybe a lightweight exosuit to allow the pilots to quickly manoeuvre and escape dangerous situations?

Aug 14, 2016
My G-suit will have a jet pack on my back, with retractable spikes/hooks in the feet and hands for doing things like climbing rocks and ice, and maybe jumping on the backs of large monsters to ride them like in a rodeo. The retractable spikes/hooks can be used in melee but I'll also have a marksman rifle for things like hunting and protection.

A personal radar and scanner that can be used to both to map out the area around me and look for useful objects or enemies, granted the range of my personal system will not have be anywhere near as large as the one on my omniframe just do to limitations on both size and power.

Emergency medic pack to heal myself or another person. And an repair kit that I can use to patch up my omniframe or other machines. The emergency repair kit can be used an endless amount of times just like any tool box, but you'll still need to find replacement parts for things if they are to damaged.

A number of different Smoke bombs and flares that can be used to send messages others who see them. For example green smoke can mean it is safe to land a ship there while red smoke can mean enemies in the area so use artillery or carpet bomb this spot. People who are part of recon untils will have kinds of flares and smoke than other people to help in combat.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Not to rain on ya'lls parade but... It has already been stated that humans will be massively overmatched outside of their omniframes, there won't be any viable combat without them. So having a ton of extra items for humans not in frames seems like a waste of dev resources. I would imagine if a frame is somehow destroyed before the human is killed the only thing the vast majority of players will be doing is running away and calling for a backup frame before they get killed in one or two shots.

Aug 14, 2016
Not to rain on ya'lls parade but... It has already been stated that humans will be massively overmatched outside of their omniframes, there won't be any viable combat without them. So having a ton of extra items for humans not in frames seems like a waste of dev resources. I would imagine if a frame is somehow destroyed before the human is killed the only thing the vast majority of players will be doing is running away and calling for a backup frame before they get killed in one or two shots.
True that still doesn't rule out me call in things like air strikes and painting targets for everyone while I'm waiting for a new mech to drop for me or while I wait for evac.

I'm not actually fighting myself, but acting as a supporter for other players and NPCs by giving them targeting information and/or enemy data (there is a gap in it's armor just under the right shoulder). Just because I'm not in a mech doesn't mean I'm useless to the team, and it doesn't mean I'm helpless if play like stealth reconnaissance.