Original Alpha Firefall vet checking in.

Mar 31, 2018
I'll make this short and sweet.

"I'm thinking this is gonna go down like Firefall went down. Change my mind."

Longer version: Many of the original FF vets will recognize my name from the very beginning when all we had was a login for a PVP map that (more often than not) would drop us all into "checkerboard land". I was a long time supporter and founder who as the development of Firefall progressed became more and more disenfranchised with the whole thing. I'm curious to see/know how this is going to pan out.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Welcome to Grummz domain. There is a thread where you will see just how many vets are around. Skepticism is safe. Patience is encouraged. But the value of squads forming and skimming out into the barrens for the action, is going to be more than gold. Everything is beta was the good stuff and except for the PvP, those elements and feel will be back. Are you ready! *queue Korn*

Mar 31, 2018
Interesting that there was another reply that wasn't exactly complimentary and now it's missing.
I'll just keep an eye out and see how this lan pans out.

Silv3r Shadow

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 29, 2016
An author can write a medieval book with wars and great characters, the author can make another book, but the story will be different, different setting, characters, but can still carry over the entertaining factor that captures you from the last book.

Longer version, ..snip..
cool story, welcome to the party we're all special ;)

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Hello vet i got no idea who you are but its my fault i forget names too easily :eek::oops::D

Enjoy the em8er ride its going to get more interesting!

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
Interesting that there was another reply that wasn't exactly complimentary and now it's missing.
I'll just keep an eye out and see how this lan pans out.
We don't delete messages just for being negative about the game, but sometimes people delete their own messages.
I can still see the deleted message though, and they certainly don't have any faith in the game. lol

At any rate, I think the other folks in the thread have already answered pretty well. I'm just glad you're going to keep an eye on us and see how it all plays out. Hopefully you'll like what we do. :)

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
I honestly can't blame anyone for being sceptical about Ember, especially due to how Firefall was handled. But I like to see it this way:
  • Firefall was free-to-play. I bought a pack that cost me about $30 AUD, and maybe another $30 AUD in Red Beans. In return, the game gave me 505 hours of playtime. 11c per hour.
  • I bought the DOOM 2016 Collector's Edition with the statue for $150 AUD. Currently 20 hours of gameplay. $7.50 an hour.
I put $600 AUD into Ember, and if it gets me even half the playtime of Firefall, it's a better playtime-to-cost ratio than DOOM 2016. And I'm okay with that.

Silv3r Shadow

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 29, 2016
You can finish most new released games between 6-8 hours on hardest difficulty (not including open works quest games like skyrim, GTA, fallout etc) which is only 2 night sessions and that's $80 gone. I prefer games that never end.
I find that the main companies like EA and Ubisoft only spend 2 years making them and push then out, they show the best features at E3 The Order 1886 which ended up you only killing a few creatures and walk around at a set walk speed for 2 hours (you kill people too but wasnt the main E3 highlight) with 5 hours of total gameplay

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Going back to PSX days, I spent 85% of my money on rpgs because I knew I would get 40 hours minimum of play out of them. Even the fun grindy ones like Suikoden games where I would level up to 60 and max gear/upgrade weapons of all the 70+ playable characters. So I fully agree with getting that playability for my buck. Sadly my steam account shows Dungeon Defenders 2 as my most played ....wish I had those hundreds of hours back.

I'm on the same boat as those who believe Em-8ER will give us those 1000 hours mark and be worth every penny invested. If it comes out slowly with content for a while, so be it. It will be quality releases.

Jun 22, 2017
I was CrowdControl in fire fall... you might remember me being streamed with some of the guests in pvp where my sniping was horrible as I just picked up sniping that day... strafing to the side and shooting a tree... but if ember is as fun as fire fall when it first came out, I would play it... along with PositiveControl, NegativeControl, and a few others from our group would jump in... all founders

EffusFury

Jan 20, 2018
I threw about $200 into FF over a 4 year period. I got my moneys worth (made a lot selling a few cosmetics too lol), I have no problem admitting that, but it was really disheartening to see thing pan out the way they did. It drove me absolutely bonkers every time the game was redesigned. Funnest aspect was thumping, fighting chosen, customizing my frame, and I liked the dungeons too. PvP just annoyed me because you really just had fun until you were matched against a sniper god.

Gordro

Omniframe Inventor
Jul 26, 2016
England
I played firefall right from beta through to close (with a holiday in the middle) I started out paying nothing, then going mental on founder stuff and all the bikes I could (pre-red bean)

The moment red beans came in I kind of dropped out of the game for 6 months or so, then came back and spent a few thousand pound without realising.

It wasn't apparent I was spending that kind of cash till Firefall closed and I found out that I had spare cash left over at the end of the week.

I REALLY hope Ember allows me to spend as much as I want and lets me negate my general crappyness and old age reflexes by throwing cash at things.

I'll make this short and sweet.

"I'm thinking this is gonna go down like Firefall went down. Change my mind."

Longer version: Many of the original FF vets will recognize my name from the very beginning when all we had was a login for a PVP map that (more often than not) would drop us all into "checkerboard land". I was a long time supporter and founder who as the development of Firefall progressed became more and more disenfranchised with the whole thing. I'm curious to see/know how this is going to pan out.
You sound familiar :cool:

Axianamos

Aug 1, 2016
I'm also a vet from those days. No one will recognize me because I never made a name for myself. But I was in the first 500. OCT at it's best. Played with and beat the crap out of phobos. Before dreadnought, back when medic had it's healing beam and I had to fight with my girlfriend to let me play during the 2 hours a week the game was available.

I have zero faith this game will be any different. I've messaged grummz much the same. He replied. Nice guy. But I'm hopeful. Not having any faith doesn't mean I don't want it to succeed. It just means I won't be dissapointed when it doesn't.

ChAzZ_NuT

Kaiju Slayer
Kaiju Slayer
Jan 22, 2017
I'm also a vet from those days. No one will recognize me because I never made a name for myself. But I was in the first 500. OCT at it's best. Played with and beat the crap out of phobos. Before dreadnought, back when medic had it's healing beam and I had to fight with my girlfriend to let me play during the 2 hours a week the game was available.

I have zero faith this game will be any different. I've messaged grummz much the same. He replied. Nice guy. But I'm hopeful. Not having any faith doesn't mean I don't want it to succeed. It just means I won't be dissapointed when it doesn't.
If it doesn’t * Let’s not pretend we know how the game will end up.

DrTuring

Apr 17, 2018
Just found Em8er today, looked into it a lot. I wasn't a vet of Firefall, but I did play during the glory days, and the gameplay, during Beta and even release, was always there. I don't doubt Ember when it comes to that, but finances and lack of funds coming in is what killed the game last time. My bet is that, with Ember's model of ground-roots funding over time and building a fan group before going full out, it will succeed a lot more than Firefall. Especially since Firefall's big problem at release was compromising on a lot of Beta's core ideas and gameplay to chase after the WoW audience, ironically making it less special, killing it. So unless Ember gets bought out like Red5 was, it's not likely to fall apart like Red5 did. That's my two cents, at least.