Oni Shouten's Oldie but Goodie Hideout Suggestion

Is this a good idea?

• Probably not a good idea....

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sep 12, 2016
I don't know how this might end up or how it would work in the final make. However I wanted to give it a go. I usually use voice/mic for the suggestions as it's easier for me to voice my stuff than it is to type it down. I guess this is a start!

The suggestion I wanted to do is a simple, old, but still good idea. Everyone loves to socialize and loves playing with other people. In fact it's a given since MMO's are well MMOs, you make friends and lots of them. However, some of us choose a few good friends to hang out with and most of the time spend hours by ourselves because we just need a bit of personal space. Speaking from experience I have with games I kind of like having places I can have that alone time to relax and take a load off. More often hang out with friends I know and trust to just chit chat with. Like a hideout sort of. Basically I'll explain what this would in tell the best way I know how.

First off I know this idea has been floating around the forums so it's not the first time it's been there and it probably won't be the last. I'm just hoping to help it along. Second off I do play other games with hideouts, homesteads, and single player instances that have the same set up. I do try to avoid copyright but at the same time ideas do pop off it from time to time. Now onto the idea.

The idea of a hideout is to hang out with a few friends on the friends list and even hold personal meetings. The hideout is a fun idea because like most hideouts are the can be decorated with all kinds of objects and some games even allow crafting, fishing, and farming among other things. Well what if the same thing could pop up here? Let me share a few of the ideas mainly of what might happen in the hideout idea.

Decorations for Starters!: What is a hide out without decorations. Well it isn't one! I love to decorate and express myself in a game and what better way to do that than to maybe I don't know put something you built like a gun or a part of a Mech you destroyed "unintentionally" as a trophy on the wall. Hell some hideouts have their own houses with being able to build on the land with enough room for a small garden. Kind of like having my own little mansion in my own instance with a white picket fence and some roses to smell in the mornin.

Speaking of Gardens: Now being in a mech world how in the hell can we have gardens? Well what ever scientific magic made our suits heaven forbid could make an odd plant or two. Considering I haven't been in a mech world for a long time I'm thinking maybe this plants could give some sort of material such as scrap metal or even fuel if need be that you could retrieve daily or even every few days to get the items you need. Perhaps even some decorations that you could mine from like a crack in the floor or an oil vein on the wall to make the game a bit more interactive.

I feel Lonely Sometimes...: Yes your friends come to visit but sometimes visiting isn't enough for some people. In fact the silence and loneliness can drive even a sane person nuts. Solution to this mysterious problem is a pet. I love pets and I know a lot of players have them. Sometimes the pets brings games to life even if they stay in one spot snoozing most times. What if the animal you have also gives you materials? I always find myself asking if a pet can be utilized like in combat or if I can harvest from them. Hell even a robotic cow you can milk oil from would be a rather somewhat hilarious conversation piece.

With that comes Leveling: I have put a lot of thought into leveling hideouts. Hell what would be the fun in hideouts if you didn't put a bit of work to appreciate it? Well I find it the nicest and much invigorating when I have to work for it just a tiny bit but not so over worked it becomes a chore. Well I think with the hide out should come leveling. Some hideouts/homesteads I know have a separate system for leveling up the hideout such as daily questing, gathering materials, or even paying a fee for certificates. You start out with a small hideout and as it levels or you get certificates you can expand a part of it or even the whole thing depending.

Then there's Convenience: Convenience is something that seems to go hand in hand with the MMOs. How much are you willing to do for a bit of convenience. I myself have gone pretty far in some MMOs more than I should've probably (Story for a later date....any who). What do I mean? Say there's an NPC you can never bloody find. By the time you find them you realize you don't have what you need or lack funds and you become frustrated. Well look no further because what if you could hire a NPC to be in your hideout for a small fee? The idea is to have say scrap metal or some other currency then take it to an NPC that deals with your hideout (usually that npc who helps you with your hideout business is in main towns). You pay a small fee to hire a NPC that's like the one you need. Now for a few hours, days, or even a month in game or real time you have it.

What about Crafting?: Yes I saved the best for last. I'm a stickler for crafting. In fact I spend more time crafting, picking herbs/flowers, and farming plants/animals all day than actual combat. I come from a background of crafters and farming. I won't lie when I say I don't really do combat. I was thinking since I know modules, armor, guns, etc. might be a thing so why not make it easier on the player and allowing them to quickly craft what is needed and perhaps store what they don't need by a simple transfer to the hideout and back to the last location they were in like a personal bank. The idea is that while one friend has crafting stations for their own skills you have different crafting stations for your own set of crafting skills. Just a thought.

Now this is all I have for the moment. I know very well it takes a lot of dedication and hard work for this to work. Just by reading this you may consider this a good idea. Only time will tell if it'll take off. For the moment I'm just glad to share my idea and for whomever took the time to read this. I always appreciate things like that. So until then I will have to see you later lollipops!

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
TL : DR but i know what all you said was about and already suggested it to grummz once, got the answer maybe, if it goes well.
So i'll just put a perhaps there

inb4 every1

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth, USA, East Coast
discord.gg
Those are some really COOL ideas! Some are much like what I had in mind smooshing together several features from two different games.

I like how Champions Online uses night clubs as their social "hubs" - a place where players can make their character /dance, they can afk, or they can socialize with other people in the game. I also like the idea of hideouts. I use the ones in the kid's game Wizard101; everyone gets a dormitory room at the start, in its own instance, to decorate, call their own, and are able to invite friends in to show off their hard work. Players are also able to upgrade later to different styled hideouts that are in their own instance. However, it IS limited in that it's really only for decoration and to store extra items.

Now, a homestead that is actually functional in the game for your character and on its own? That would be cool!
:cool:

Phyrak

Death Reaper
Sep 11, 2016
Sounds like the personal home instance of guild wars 2

This is actually really good

Both private and public crafting
Pets too are a good edition to such an area as to make it feel more alive

TankHunter678

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I want to point out that hideouts can easily be an area where you are outside the omniframe thus the omniframe ceases to be a concern for a indoor/greenhouse garden environment.

Also I do not think "leveling" should be a thing for hideouts, investment sure in increasing its size and available services but there should be no "level 1" hideout, "level 2" hideout, etc. Investments should simply come at the cost of a good chunk of resources. If someone wants to power farm resources for their hideout let them go right ahead. Don't force them to go on jobs to get "hideout xp" to unlock a "certificate" to add something to their hideout. After all how is it really a hideout if the planetary government has to do paperwork and inspections for it?

Daynen

Aug 3, 2016
I want to point out that hideouts can easily be an area where you are outside the omniframe thus the omniframe ceases to be a concern for a indoor/greenhouse garden environment.

Also I do not think "leveling" should be a thing for hideouts, investment sure in increasing its size and available services but there should be no "level 1" hideout, "level 2" hideout, etc. Investments should simply come at the cost of a good chunk of resources. If someone wants to power farm resources for their hideout let them go right ahead. Don't force them to go on jobs to get "hideout xp" to unlock a "certificate" to add something to their hideout. After all how is it really a hideout if the planetary government has to do paperwork and inspections for it?
This. Personal space in an MMO should come at a premium; that premium should not be arbitrary points counting toward an arbitrary number. It should be investments made regularly, even requiring an upkeep cost, honestly. Especially considering how tengential they'd be to the core gameplay, they should be something you choose to maintain or give up at some point.

That said, I'm not against the idea of personal instances existing, so long as they don't create more problems than they solve.

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
Since we already have player built bases, this seems almost redundant (and yes, I understand the difference between instanced housing and player built structures in the field, I'm suggesting that these structures could serve the purpose you refer to.)