One the idea of weapon abilities

Aug 14, 2016
This thread is about abilities that are built into the weapon themselves as just part of how they work or could work based on the user. So I was thinking what could be some weapon abilities that could exist in Em-8er? And what are your thoughts on the idea of weapon based abilities that doesn't rely on type of omniframe you are in to use? And can you think up of other examples of this type of stuff that could work in a sci-fi game?

For example.
Some guns have recoil and others do not. And some guns have way more recoil than others do. But rather than the recoil being the bad thing some pilots who are using to fighting in outer space learned how to use the recoil of their guns as way to move around. This is something that groups like NASA has looked into and said it would work. There was even ideas for a type of ship that could use bombs as way to move around being pushed along the pressure wave the bomb makes when it goes off. This can be used as a more scientific way of explaining abilities like rocket jumping and cannon riding (seating on top of your gun and using it fly around like an flying motorbike) in games.

in some games I play cannon riding is always just a fun ability to use. You jump on top of your big gun and just fly around as long as you have ammo / energy to burn. It is good way to move around can also be used as an attack in some games, given that you are still firing your gun as you ride it, it is just pointed backwards. In same game cannon riding is also mixed with a close range AOE or melee attack at the end of the ability for when you run out of ammo / energy. For those people use it as way to get closer to enemies rather then escape from them.

I know that in Em-8er we have jump jets on your omniframes and we can use gliders. But we can't really fly. But if we could use things like the recoil of some types of guns while gliding we can just point the gun downwards to stay in the air longer to keep gliding or point the gun behind use to gain more speed while gliding. The reward is greater mobility and cost / risk is you are using up your guns ammo / energy to do it.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Could this be done for melee weapons too as an example in the olympics they have the pole vault.
If someone was using a pole arm type weapon that could be used for the purpose of vaulting over things and even to push off against the wall.

Imagine if the polearm could temporarily be planted down on the ground to do a spin and could even kick.

This could work well with a grappler hook too for example to attack to the polearm then spin enough times and release for the momentum to take you,

I like the shield throw and bash moves i'd guess the throw would need to be charged with energy to spin faster and hit more before returning back.

Deflecting certain projectiles with a melee weapon like this and it may require energy build up from strikes or from a power pool to use until it depleats

Aug 14, 2016
In a good number of games polearms are seen mostly as a kind of melee AOE weapon because of some of things you can so you polearms. Not only in combat but also for utility, such as movement. And the types of AOEs attacks that you can do with a polearm, be it spinning it around in your hands or spinning it around your body or planting it into ground so you can swing around it, are a lot.

Plus that idea of a "polearm" can be also be extended to include double ended swords by some people. Although personally I think they fall under their own type of weapon, I just don't know the name of it that type. But their are lots of examples of it in games and anime. And even in Star Wars.

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
Probably should either be a side effect for a particular weapon type in certain environs...or...abilities that only work with that type of weapon (i.e. move back/spin in zero-G when firing/throwing projectile weapons...or...bullet deflection ability that can be used if duel wielding melee weapons.)...just one person's opine though. :)

Aug 14, 2016
Having the passive abilities of some weapons change based on the environment is just logical to me. After all, you don't want to use weapons that make a lot of heat while you are inside of an ice cave deep underground/underice because you can make the ice melt making the cave unstable while also making water that could fill up the part of the cave that you are in. Or using things like polearms and long rifles in small spaces because you don't have a full range of movement (try swing around something like a broomstick around in narrow hallway with a low ceiling while holding it in the same way as you would a weapon in the middle of combat and a target showed up behind you.). And of course you don't want to use weapons that make flames or sparks while you are inside of an area full of flammable gases. I'm a fan of games that do take environmental effects into account when moving around and fighting.

On the topic of environmental effects. I really do hope that enemies are also effected by them too. I hate it when in games we players are effected by environmental hazards but the enemies are not, even when they really should be. Also I hope they can set off and be killed by their own traps too. Unless they are high tech traps that now the difference between friend and foe, but those traps should also be able to be tricked. Example, taking the thing the trap is using to ID the enemies with so when you get near it - it sees you as friend too. In first first Deus EX game for PC years ago, I use to love hacking all the systems in the game so all the computers and robots seen me as friend so I can walk into enemies camps and bases.

Anyway back on topic. Some weapons could have odd effects that happen randomly based on what they are made off and how they are used. For example sword made of a shinny metal could just randomly blind enemies while you are attacking because it is shinning things like sunlight in their eyes (A tactic I sometimes used when I was kid fighting in school or on the streets. I would use my wristwatch to bounce light into some people's eyes just before an attack.). Or have it so that sound of some weapons different enemies find annoying and so will try to avoid you get away from the sound or swam you to try and stop the sound. If there are bug-like enemies in the game it might be a good idea not to make this type of sound around the grain bee-like enemies because it sounds like one of their natural enemies and will swarm anything that makes that sound.

Aug 13, 2021
funny sex jokes
There was once a blind man who had so fine a sense of touch that,
when any animal was put into his hands, he could tell what it was merely by
the feel of it. One day the cub of a wolf was put into his hands, and he was asked
what it was. He felt it for some time, and then said, "Indeed, I am not sure whether it is a wolf's cub or a fox's:
but this I know -- it would never do to trust it in a sheepfold."

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
funny sex jokes
There was once a blind man who had so fine a sense of touch that,
when any animal was put into his hands, he could tell what it was merely by
the feel of it. One day the cub of a wolf was put into his hands, and he was asked
what it was. He felt it for some time, and then said, "Indeed, I am not sure whether it is a wolf's cub or a fox's:
but this I know -- it would never do to trust it in a sheepfold."
This would go great in this thread its pure S-file material
https://forums.em8er.com/threads/s-files.1154/