On movement

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
In discussion with @ChAzZ_NuT , he mentioned how strange the shield surfing concept is, and (to paraphrase/interpret) that it isn't very "heavy" of the heavy.

I'm not arguing for the removal of that, but for another, optional, movement style.

He described the heavy as being so heavy that it requires thrust to make it off the ground. It takes a moment to power up and take off; think of a space shuttle's rocket.

Additionally, it would require breaking thrust. This lends to the obvious "what if the heavy didn't break?", which becomes the obvious deepstryke. Maybe have that be the default and it does damage to both the frame and the area.

-

The second idea borrows from the Capcom game Ōkami. It is a large "open world game" (with the limitation of a PS/2). There is no fast travel / teleport; the player must run from place to place. Like other animal games, movement is extraordinarily important to get right. It has beautiful walk and run animations, but what is most impressive is it's dash.

The player can:

- Press the dash button and get a hint at it
- Hold a direction to run, and continue to hold. This is how players are pleasantly surprised at the mechanic.
- Dash and hold a direction to begin running immediately.

I can easily see a light frame go from running to deploying it's mount.

This would also be an excellent way to deploy "skim mode":

No Man's Sky had a bug they left in; the punch-thrust. With it, the punch mechanic's forward momentum becomes a multiplier to the thrust.

The medium has a dash/dodge mechanic which would fit well with the Okami dash-run or this No Man's Sky punch-thrust.

This would also be spectacular for light frames to get their speed (or height if they can go up a slope). Don't give them super jump powers (by default), make them work to get their initial verticality. (but maybe make it easier for them to stay up than with other frames, but also easier to knock down)

Light frames are reportedly to have wall-running ability, which might fit in well with this.

Aug 14, 2016
Given how this is a game mostly about people in armored suits and mecha, it only makes sense to think of the larger mechs in terms of things like vehicles in how they move. How mush energy does it take for them to move, how long does it take them to get up to full speed, and how long does it take them to stop? For example trains are really heavy and they use most of their energy when they start moving trying to get up to speed and when breaking to stop. Because of their mass most trains take a long time to get up to full speed and a long time to come to a full stop just do to things like momentum and inertia. This is why for some trains to come to a full stop at the station the engineer needs to put on the breaks miles before they get there.

The feel of a game can change wildly based on how the devs view things like mass, acceleration, momentum, and inertia. As games can seem more realistic or unbelievable just based on the movement and how it feels to move. Even if you was fighting in outer space massive objects should not be able to do things like turn on a dime unless they have thrusters powerful enough to combat all that momentum and inertia, on top of being made in such a way that can handle all the stress of doing such things. Because remember even things like fighter jets have limits on how fast they make turns or they risk hurting the pilot(s) and/or tiring themselves apart.

As for myself, I make it no secret that one of my top 10 games of all time are the Armored Core games. And part of the reason for that is the movement and in how different builds can move so different from each other. From the super light mass ones with over powered thrushes to let them out run rockets and missiles to the super heavy ones with armor so thick that they can barely move. Plus a lot of stuff the SoulsBorn types of games are known for was first used and tested out in the Armored Core games. Even the over powered Moon Sword that is hidden within the games.

Like having a parry system in a game with giant mechs with guns and missiles.

And how players can use thrusters and overboost in combination to pull off moves you couldn't do otherwise.

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu

On the sea too and what if the storms made surfing more interesting to see and use the air currents too.

Another thing is if something exploded such as a grenade, bomb, opponent even a mek and the shield surfer was above, they could get more momentum.

Then what about the shield size just like surfing e.g. a smaller shield is better for movement and easier to turn and a bigger shield is more stable but may be slower to turn.

Aug 14, 2016

On the sea too and what if the storms made surfing more interesting to see and use the air currents too.

Another thing is if something exploded such as a grenade, bomb, opponent even a mek and the shield surfer was above, they could get more momentum.

Then what about the shield size just like surfing e.g. a smaller shield is better for movement and easier to turn and a bigger shield is more stable but may be slower to turn.
Don't remind me of sky surfing because anime like this pop into my head. Yea, giant air surfing combat mechs.