On Movement and Mobility

Beemann

Jul 29, 2016
Got an email and saw it as an invitation to rant at Grummz and co. again :)

Y'all messed up movement last time. The closest you got was hoversprinting and gliding, but there were issues with both

The issue with hoversprinting was that it wasn't a transparent mechanic for new players and needed to be fleshed out more. This is because it was a bug, but the fact remains that it could have been a great gameplay system

The issue with gliding is that it can't be anything other than a travel mechanic without considerable work being done on it. People loved that shit though, because it's a fast, smooth method of travel.

Conversion of either of these systems is relatively straightforward from a rules standpoint. Make hoversprinting clearer to users and possible to do at a basic level, but make optimal jumps more rewarding. For gliding you'd probably have to have an always available glider and use punchier jump jets as a launcher, maybe even afterburner it.

The benefit to adding a system like this is that you expand the skillsets players can work on and add some "down time" gameplay. You'll allow people to have more fun going from A to B and you'll expand the depth of combat. I doubt anyone can sincerely say that the highlight of their day was sprinting in a straight line from A to B, but as someone who has spent 300 hours in Reflex and probably about the same amount in CPM since I bailed on FireFall, I can definitely say that I've had days where the highlight was nailing a jump or trick I couldn't pull off before

Anyone else as concerned about movement as I am? Got any alternatives for a nice, rewarding skill-based movement mechanic that would fit the concept?

Edit: Now with proper terminology

Last edited:

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
Warframe has a different type of movement that you can link together. Titanfall hadn't mobility well also. A nice middle ground is what they are shooting for I hope. The FF bunnie hop was a bit much.

Beemann

Jul 29, 2016
What is jetboosting? Are you referring to hoversprinting?
Yeah it's been.. what like 3 years? Couldn't remember what the agreed upon name was in the end. Might've mixed it up with a different game's weird bug. My bad in any case. Regardless ither way it could have been a proper game system if they had wanted it to be.

Warframe has a different type of movement that you can link together. Titanfall hadn't mobility well also. A nice middle ground is what they are shooting for I hope. The FF bunnie hop was a bit much.
TF actually has full bhop. Stim+wallrun and then you keep that speed with classic QuakeWorld style bhops. Warframe has a movement system that works well for its maps, but it would be RSI inducing in an open map. The trick though is to have a system that works for long distances but isnt totally useless in combat. That's where the sweet spot is

put dodge rolls with no cooldown that is what i think is the most epic
You might feel differently after dodgerolling in a straight line for 10 minutes at a time to save on travel time. Now if you could launch yourself off of stuff with that dodge roll and pump your jets to keep momentum that might be more of a thing, but it would look absolutely ridiculous

Red

Jul 26, 2016
This is something that i hope so much that they get right, movement can make the game so much more interesting while at the same time making pvp annoying (good think mark said they dont even plan on adding it atm). Not that i want the movement to be similar to this but for example, warframe a game known hugely for it's fast paced movement and combat at it's base it's just your average TPS but when they added parkour 2.0 the game became something much better for a lot of people.

TLDR; movement is fun pls get right