Omniframe Movement feedback Thread

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
Hey there!
Since the latest mini update went live we have noticed there is some feedback on the Omniframes movement. In order to keep things organized, we are opening this thread to collect your thoughts. So write them down where we can see them.

Please Note: The camera is not adjusted at all yet and all animations are temporary and sped up.

Terricon4

Base Commander
Base Commander
Yay for moving mechs in multiplayer. Though I do feel the spines are way to stiff. Make it look like the upper body is rigid, rather than flexible like a humanoid type can be, and can really limit the range of motions you you can get on a humanoid like mech with a more flexible design.
Flexible back plates are one of the parts that I really liked about the concepts of the omniframes originally, and was a part I'd focused on in the animation tests I did with that fan art one I made previously.

Well, just a part that cought my attention.
Otherwise the animations are a little fast seeming, like it could carry a bit more weight in its arms/shoulders/wings as its moving, either by letting them swing a little more gradually, or by having more movement in the wings even when "locked idle" even if just a little to help show the forces and movement acting on them.

Aug 14, 2016
Hey there!
Since the latest mini update went live we have noticed there is some feedback on the Omniframes movement. In order to keep things organized, we are opening this thread to collect your thoughts. So write them down where we can see them.

Please Note: The camera is not adjusted at all yet and all animations are temporary and sped up.
For 3ed person camera:
I feel you give a sense of freedom and control the camera should zoom out a bit while you are moving fast to give you more time to react to things and when you stop or moving slowly it'll zoom back in like normal. The key is making people feel like they are in control is the field of view so I might take some testing to get the feel just right for how fast the camera should move in and out as well as how turning speed. But I feel it is in a good spot for now.

For the movement:
I like it for the most part but it does look a little stiff and rigid in the midsection. I know that is where the pilot and cage is so you don't want to much inward movement in that area. But having things like overlapping armor plats on the area that move and as you twist and turn could help remove that rigid feel while also adding a layer of protection for the pilot.

Yay for moving mechs in multiplayer. Though I do feel the spines are way to stiff. Make it look like the upper body is rigid, rather than flexible like a humanoid type can be, and can really limit the range of motions you you can get on a humanoid like mech with a more flexible design.
Flexible back plates are one of the parts that I really liked about the concepts of the omniframes originally, and was a part I'd focused on in the animation tests I did with that fan art one I made previously.

Well, just a part that cought my attention.
Otherwise the animations are a little fast seeming, like it could carry a bit more weight in its arms/shoulders/wings as its moving, either by letting them swing a little more gradually, or by having more movement in the wings even when "locked idle" even if just a little to help show the forces and movement acting on them.
For hover sprinting low to the ground:
I like the fact that you can use the wings and jets to hover sprint low to the ground. It is part of my melee combat style in other games to use that both as a means to get closer to enemies while dodging attacks and as a way to escape from large AOEs and homing attacks. But I would like to see more examples of this movement type other than forwards. Can you hover sprint backwards or hover strafe sideways? How much freedom of movement do we have with it? For example a common melee sprint movement combo to close the gap to enemies is to quickly strafe from side to side in a zigzag pattern dodge attacks and make it harder for lock-on weapons to track you while also charging full speed at them. If you can make that basic movement combo feel good you'll be on the right trick to give melee focused players something to enjoy.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Wondering could the omniframe do a roll?

I like how the omniframe runs and jumps!
Camera view could switch from left to right over the shoulder perhaps?

Could there be a more of a sprint stance before running fast?

Harven

Commander
Jul 28, 2016
Probably for me... I think it feels too light? I cant feel the weight of the omniframe, maybe because everything moves fluidly, nothing is bouncing as if gravity was affecting it, or I dont know I dont animate xd, but I can say it feels light, it doesnt feel as if it was heavy. Maybe before starting to walk or before stopping, some animation could also be added (I guess its harder so maybe in the future).

Honestly for me, the animation looks pretty sick, i really like it, but it doesnt look very belivable on this omniframe. I guess if it was a lighter/skinnier looking frame, for a lighter class (assault?firefall), it would fit alot better, but because this one is so bulky, perhaps a little bit of movement punishment should be added, to compensaste the looks and ¿probably? role of this omniframe. I love mobility, I kind of dont really like how cumbersome and bulky mechs feel in games, i normally dont even like mech games (em8er seems the be the exception so far) a big reason why is the mobility, so ita pretty cool Em8er is aiming for a more flexible and quick style, but I also think if it feels just a little bit slower, it will not bother me (atleast), and maybe even feel nicer because it feels realistic and fitting-

So yes loved everything I saw, and the animation was amazing, but maybe is not 100% fitting for this omniframe? I think if I had seen the animation on a lighter omniframe, I wouldnt have had any feedback

Edit: i realized there is a beggining animation and end animation for running, completely missed that before, and it falls in the same feedback from above, it doesnt show too much the weight that this omniframe look’s show

Last edited:

Sorrow2u

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
So i like what i see just like every one befor me but i have more of a sugestion , can u guys put some lights on OF that will indicate its shield/hp? Im thinking some thing like in deadspace. And some kind of colorblind settings wold be cool

Aug 5, 2017
UK
I really like the animation and pathing dynamics of the omni frame so far...BUT, I'm hoping the duration of the hover abilities will be determined by *some* real time physics - mass - weight x gravity vs. energy expenditure !? - (yeah, im not brilliant on science!)

Oct 3, 2018
I figured the "skim mode" would be Armored core 4 style, sliding heals to ground. It makes sense based on their weight.

The Front flip in that one video seems REALLY out of place, these are ton+ war machines. As Terricon4 said, they need to look more weighty. Right now they just move like really tall genji's.

The frames need to feel satisfying, like the mass is meaningful. If the animations are too weightless the player won't feel like they have any power, ESPECIALLY against something like kaiju.

If a player feels strong they don't actually need to be strong to enjoy the game.

The more impactful the animations are, the more the feel is conveyed, the happier the operator will be with it.

I like the units aesthetically though.