Omniframe Hard Driver Mode - NEW art

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty, $25 for orange paint, pls. JK. :)

We're going to be concentrating on getting the mockup running. Slimming the width of the frame really depends on how its starts to feel moving around and looking in a real 3rd person mockup.

Until then we could make art changes till the cows come home, but unless its affecting gameplay negatively at this point, we just don't know which changes are most important for our scare resources.
Oh, just so there are no misunderstandings, the second, slimmer version isn't meant to override the first one, @Grummz . :)

The slimmer version is how I imagine a modded frame will look like with the most basic, weight-reduction, mobility, light-plating...etc. mods.

Manwild

Deepscanner
Jul 29, 2016
I don't regret going open cockpit at all and disagree its a waste. It's the game I want to play, therefore I'll do a better job making it. I've just given an option for those who see it another way, and not an expensive option to produce.
Ok. If it's no trouble for you guy's, I'm in.
You still have an option to go permanent transparent shielding as well. Best of both ideas. Add shades of coloured hews and contrasts, while still seeing the pilot.

For those pilots that wish to be fully enclosed, you can toggle a hard shell to cover your character, or have it set to appear (somehow, fx wise) automatically if you are in combat mode and de-rez while not in combat. It's fully under your control.
If not to adopt last idea.
On Auto. This could be a great benefit to the whole matrix of the game as an early warning mechanism.
While in open frame, any damage you attain will raise shields, as a threat.

Normally in most games there's an early warning glow/flash screen appearing as you are fired upon as well, if you have headphones and music playing, it's the only sign of impeding danger for those not on auto.
Auto as Default?

LupeFuentes

Jul 26, 2016
North Carolina
I should point out that EM-8ER is outdoor warfare like Battlefield, with few interiors. That's the focus. I don't see there being any Ares mission type caves. Also, its very expensive to do interiors and such.
Though I am slightly saddened by that, I can completely understand it if it comes down to a cost saving reason, Therefore sadness gone?

Maginus

Aug 11, 2016
My first thought when I saw the frame was, wow that's a big frame or is it a frame. Kinda looks more like a mech.
I cam from Global Agenda and I loved that game but didn't have enough content, so I looked around for another game that had jet packs and I found firefall and I fell in love....till recently that is. I really hope Ember is going to be something I will love but I am worried it might move in the direction of mech's rather than suites after seeing the first frame. Crossing finger's

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I too loved global agenda and firefall when it was happening.. until it went deep into an alternate dimensional orifice :eek:
I'll have to admit that i am encouraged by the process and progress the ideas/feedback shapes how the game could be. With that said very excited by it all as a lot of us are, and we wont be disappointed because with the community putting their heads together it will be one special game just my thoughts

Krhys

Commander
Jul 26, 2016
Hopefully you'll read the rest of my posts next time, so you actually understand the point I was trying to get across.

So let me try again.

On a side note, your comparisons are ridiculous. Volume control? Please, nice try bud.

Here's a great comparison for you:

Oh, I want jumpjets on the Omniframe feet now too, not the back. So, really small Ember team, will you spend even more of your time making an option to put jumpjets on the feet instead of the back? I want the option. Spending more of your valuable time to put jumpjets on the feet instead so that I can be happy, clearly is the right thing to do. Right? Right. :D

Hopefully the slippery slope of trying to please everyone seems obvious.
When the art for the omniframe was first posted a lot of people commented on it some positive but quite a few negative but I don't believe anyone at this early stage actually expected it to change at all. That Grummz and his crew decided to throw in this option now was their choice. They decided to react to the feedback given and do something about it here and now. The team is very focused on their goals and while these forums are set up for feedback and ideas they are not under any pressure from 'whining' ppl to change anything.

Besides, who says we'll have both options available in any sort of demo or mockup straight off the bat? It's great to see that they are looking at customisations in an attempt to please more players out there at this stage but all it is currently is an adjustment to an already drawn up picture that I don't believe took the really small Ember team long to produce.

NightStroke

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
My only wish with the omniframe is that there are more lights/glowing parts added to the frame. Something firefall did well was combine bulk with reactor lights, something that looked absolutely gorgeous during the dark nights. Watch this video:
The contrast that the lights bring is absolutely beautiful and makes your character more visible during the night, especially with high-saturation colors for the lights.

This is what the hard-driver mode of the omnimek would look like in a dark night. I went with the hard driver mode for the sake of argument, since it has more lighted parts than the normal version.
omnimek lights.jpg
Not very exciting :/

Here is my edit with more lights and stuff :p I can attach a version without the darkness, so you can see what the lights would look like in the original lighting.
omnimek lightseditdark.jpg
Here is what the open-cockpit version would look like; The omnimek image i used for this one was higher quality so I worked on the head a little bit here as well.
omnimek without shell, light edit darkness.png
EDIT 2: Adjusted some lighting placement, got rid of most of the ring lights, and added some to the legs and wings

omnimek without shell, light edit2 darkness.png

Last edited:

Astro

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
When the art for the omniframe was first posted a lot of people commented on it some positive but quite a few negative but I don't believe anyone at this early stage actually expected it to change at all. That Grummz and his crew decided to throw in this option now was their choice. They decided to react to the feedback given and do something about it here and now. The team is very focused on their goals and while these forums are set up for feedback and ideas they are not under any pressure from 'whining' ppl to change anything.

Besides, who says we'll have both options available in any sort of demo or mockup straight off the bat? It's great to see that they are looking at customisations in an attempt to please more players out there at this stage but all it is currently is an adjustment to an already drawn up picture that I don't believe took the really small Ember team long to produce.
I'd love to go and accumulate all of the numerous quotes from a few certain people that spanned multiple threads, from the initial release of the original image to this one, especially one that I read that said they wouldn't fund the game because an open omniframe mek was just too unrealistic, but I no longer have the desire to try and explain to anyone the point I was trying to make.

Grummz and Ronyn already settled my concerns.

End of discussion.

Last edited:

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
My only wish with the omniframe is that there are more lights/glowing parts added to the frame. Something firefall did well was combine bulk with reactor lights, something that looked absolutely gorgeous during the dark nights. Watch this video:
The contrast that the lights bring is absolutely beautiful and makes your character more visible during the night, especially with high-saturation colors for the lights.

This is what the hard-driver mode of the omnimek would look like in a dark night. I went with the hard driver mode for the sake of argument, since it has more lighted parts than the normal version.
View attachment 371
Not very exciting :/

Here is my edit with more lights and stuff :p I can attach a version without the darkness, so you can see what the lights would look like in the original lighting.
View attachment 372
Here is what the open-cockpit version would look like; The omnimek image i used for this one was higher quality so I worked on the head a little bit here as well.
View attachment 373

I'm not big on orange, but this is sexy as hell looking. I like how you kept all the lights to the black only. Nice combo while leaving the orange as an accent.

Jul 28, 2016
Florida
www.facebook.com
I mean as they are designed they would provide little to no lift, and they stick out very wide to the sides.
If I remember correctly they weren't meant to provide "lift", but instead give a gliding ability? I understand where you're coming from and I like your ideas, but just thought I'd comment on that part :)

Also... sorry if this has already been answered... I have not had a chance to read the rest of the posts

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kahuna M.A.X.
Sep 6, 2016
So looking at things...I suddenly realize that those proverbial "wings" on the sides seem like they would be more trouble than they are worth. I mean as they are designed they would provide little to no lift,
✀ SNIP
Those appear to be "ballistic" wings, like on a bomb shell or a jet fighter's cannard wings.

perhaps we could pay homage to Firefall and use a forcefield type system that only appears when we are flying.
I always thought of those as "hardlight".

EDIT: or at least have them somehow collapsible/foldable/extendable so they are out of the way and not sticking out to the sides when you are walking.
We don't have any models yet, of course they artist won't be happy if the majority wants retractable flaps when he didn't include it, but we should sit back and wait a bit longer before we ask questions with the pitchfork.

View attachment 373
em8wing.png
My 2 cents

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
If I remember correctly they weren't meant to provide "lift", but instead give a gliding ability? I understand where you're coming from and I like your ideas, but just thought I'd comment on that part :)
Same thing, lift is the vertical component of aereodinamic force, gliding downwards is just what happens when the lift is less than the weight force, otherwise you have an altitude increase, everything depends on the thrust/weight ratio, what can make you glide can also make you fly with appropriately increased thrust, you don't really need wings either as technically you could fly with pure thrust but drag (the horizontal component of aereodynamic force) is essential to stabilize flight asset and that's what those wings are for i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.