Omniframe Hard Driver Mode - NEW art

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Okay, thanks to your feedback, we are adding an optional "Hard Driver" visual mode to the Omniframe's design.(thank you, @Tommaso Renieri )!

Default look is still open cockpit. You have to enable "hard driver" mode. this is a visual option to display your frame. It's not a gameplay feature. You go to Game Settings -> Options -> Omniframe Hard Driver [defaut(off), on, auto]

For those pilots that wish to be fully enclosed, you can toggle a hard shell to cover your character, or have it set to appear (somehow, fx wise) automatically if you are in combat mode and de-rez while not in combat. It's fully under your control.

Please let us know what you think!

Last edited:

Astro

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
That was very nice of you, and the design is great, but now the "whiners" will think if they can bitch loud enough and for long enough, they'll get what they want.

To play devil's advocate:
If we are in that mode and we get EMP'ed and our systems go down, then the user better suffocate to death in the suit due to the oxygen filtration system going down, and your screen better go pitch black because the systems for seeing out of the suit will be down and how could the user possibly see out of it if he's completely enclosed? :D

Last edited:

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
Please note, the DEFAULT is still open cockpit. This mode is for those who enable it.
I was totally fine with open style but I must admit the new hard driver options is just so dang sweet.
The idea of seeing it auto close when I enter combat. woo... I gotta use it. You and @Tommaso Renieri friggin nailed it. I think a lot of people are going to love it.

Thunderstrike

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Aug 29, 2016
That was very nice of you, and the design is great, but now the "whiners" will think if they can bitch loud enough and for long enough, they'll get what they want.

If we are in that mode and we get EMP'ed and our systems go down, then the user better suffocate to death in the suit due to the oxygen filtration system going down, and it better be pitch black because the systems for seeing out of the suit will be down and how could the user possibly see out of it if he's completely enclosed? (whiner logic) :D
Come on, we don't need to create an us vs them mentality.

Anyway, I liked the new model at first, but I dunno, could probably do with more consistency with the style of the Omniframe. Positioning the side armor at a smaller angle could help, and the armor around the pilot's head region looks like Halo: Reach's Spartan armor.

At any rate, I'm going to be using the standard style so it doesn't bother me ;)

ApisLove

Firstclaimer
Aug 30, 2016
If we are in that mode and we get EMP'ed and our systems go down, then the user better suffocate to death in the suit due to the oxygen filtration system going down, and it better be pitch black because the systems for seeing out of the suit will be down and how could the user possibly see out of it if he's completely enclosed? (whiner logic)
Perhaps a manual lock and some crank (or something that gives mechanical advantage) to open. It wouldn't be the default means of opening, of course. Perhaps it could take extra time to open manually, which would leave player vulnerable because they can't focus on anything else until it's open.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
Some folks may jump to such conclusions but the truth remains the same.
The ember team will listen to feedback and offer options when possible but ultimately it will come down to what the team itself thinks is best. It's as simple as that. And we are all (Dev team and community) better off for it.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Well, people know I don't go on a whim. This was a small change that does not compromise the original intent, and is defaulted to OFF. So people coming into the game will see it as we envisioned it. You would have to enable this mode manually.

Astro

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Some folks may jump to such conclusions but the truth remains the same.
The ember team will listen to feedback and offer options when possible but ultimately it will come down to what the team itself thinks is best. It's as simple as that. And we are all (Dev team and community) better off for it.
Well, I'm glad to hear that. I'm just nipping in the bud ;), only good intentions here.

The truth also remains the same, in that people complained loud and for long enough that the Ember team spent time and effort making this revision to please them.

I fear people like to push the envelope to try and get more and more of what they want to see.

But in the end, I do trust the current Ember team won't go down that slippery path.

Congrats @Tommaso Renieri

Tommaso Renieri

Ember Dev
Jul 26, 2016
Okay, thanks to your feedback, we are adding an optional "Hard Driver" mode to the Omniframe's design.(thank you, @Tommaso Renieri )!

Default look is still open cockpit. You have to enable "hard driver" mode.

For those pilots that wish to be fully enclosed, you can toggle a hard shell to cover your character, or have it set to rez automatically if you are in combat mode and de-rez while not in combat. It's fully under your control.

Please let us know what you think!

Hi Guys!, I'm glad you like the solution. To help the undertanding the character position inside the gloves, live from here, a fast sketch for you :) Sorry for the bad presentation :D
gloves.jpg

Tommaso Renieri

Ember Dev
Jul 26, 2016
Well, I'm glad to hear that. I'm just nipping in the bud ;), only good intentions here.

The truth also remains the same, in that people complained loud and for long enough that the Ember team spent time and effort making this revision to please them.

I fear people like to push the envelope to try and get more and more of what they want to see.

But in the end, I do trust the current Ember team won't go down that slippery path.

Congrats @Tommaso Renieri
Thanks Astro!

Status
Not open for further replies.