Ok, this makes me angry...

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
www.youtube.com
"Having tested this tech for over a year, they feel like it’s now ready to be implemented, the idea being rather than just beaming videos to them in the middle of a game, players would be able to view an ad then, when servers detected the commercial had been viewed in its entirety, “release rewards to the player.”"
It's such a mobile game thing to do. This will inevitably come to PC games too, especially with always-online games. God knows that Windows 11 will bring with it as well. Can't wait to watch a Wish.com ad just so I can open Word accidentally.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Ark Liege
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I avoid as much adverts as possible and only watch adverts that are funny or interest me because of the product. Generally adverts are poop although this advert is interesting and wastes only 11 seconds of someone's life \o/

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Although...lets say in "Home" there were a couple of wall/billboard style tiles that had some modern rolling adverts but you only really take major notice if you stay and watch them. That advert money in this case would go direct to Crixa Labs and would be another way of funding Em.8ER (or other Crixa Labs projects). Typically I'm one to roll right thru adverts or curse the heck outta them interrupting whatever I'm watching...but...if it's non-intrusive and can help fund Em.8ER I'm up to discussing that.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Montana, US
It has to be intrusive though in order to have a selling point.

Look at FB, on the right there are ads, not a big deal honestly. Web based wouldn't offend me even if annoying.

*edit*
Commercials played at louder volumes due to statistics saying people stepped away from the TV during breaks in the shows. How long did that take to make it illegal? Now streaming is doing the same thing because the law doesn't apply to the internet, only cable TV.

But even if it is a count down with an option to initiate the ad, that is still interrupting fast paced action. Distractions from immersion is deal breaking to me.

I don't think Em-8ER will go there, but EA already looking to implement this is damning to the gaming industry. I mean, imagine Star Citizen doing this. Ahhh....sad day.