Non-gun using builds / classes

Aug 14, 2016
This thread is mostly for fun about how can you make a pure melee class in a game with guns and still have them be a viable. The rules are easy.
  1. They have to be melee focused first and use melee weapons; counting fists, feet, and claws as weapons.
  2. Range attacks are allowed for as long as they are apart of a melee attack or use melee weapons. For example throwing spears are allowed.
  3. Having technology in the place of magic is allowed for as long as follows the rules and logic of the game world.
  4. Have fun, the rule of cool is allowed.
I'll start of the thread with one of my fav classes I like to play in some games. A type of spell sword warrior who uses flying swords to attack and defend rather than spells. We can replace the idea of magic with things like building the swords with hovering technology and magnets while pilot controls the swords like a drone. There many types of this kind of warrior ranging from someone who only controls one or two blades with a high level of control to someone who controls a hundred plus blades with less control all at once.

My personal fav is to make a character who uses 8 blades at once. Dual wielding a sword in each hand while having the three other blades floating behind them on each side almost in a the shape of wings. In close range these extra blades help to attack the enemy(s) as they can somewhat move autonomously (think more in terms of reflex rather than having minds of their own, they are an extension of the character's mind.). But the blades can also be thrown out and recalled over and over again. Allowing them to fight somewhat at long range. But because their control over the blades goes down the farther away they are from it puts limits on what they can do outside of throwing range. Although even if they miss the target on the throw or it is blocked they can allows recall the blade back to them giving them a chance to hit the target again from the back if they are able to line them up right.

Side note, for people who never hard of this type of character or class before in games I'll try to think of an better example of them. But for now the only example that is coming to mind is Penny from RWBY. Note, she is not controlling the swords with magic but is using super thin really strong stings like a puppet.

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
The three frame archetypes have a lot of potential for cool melee builds, even if they had to be distilled into Light = Brawler, Medium = Lancer and Heavy = Tank. With no melee options in the demos at the present, it'll be a feature to watch post-Kickstarter when more people come in and request it. Something more interesting that "press Q to melee" or Anthem's "hold down the mouse until one of you die" interceptor would be great.

Going off your idea about the floating swords, I like abilities to have trade-offs rather than cooldowns when it comes to melee. Maybe when activating this ability, your wings separate into multiple blades instead. You can't glide, but you can jumpjet around and still deal damage. When in melee range and with your wings on, they move to parry enemy attacks from behind, but you can't directly attack with them.
Sort of like a brawler frame, where if you want to deal a massive blow to the enemy, you have to reroute all system power to your fist. Once you hit, there's a brief few seconds where you can only run.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Having the ability to have more martial arts skill to use our mek body as the weapon

Grapple pull / throw or can time to do a kick or punch etc

Precision chopping for chef skills or getting the right cut of fish even freeing captured npc without harming etc

Shield bounce and throw could also have double shields for more bouncing

What if you could have some kind of bo that can extend out and as you move it around you can unleash a line and if locked onto the target can zap them with electricity the longer you use it the more energy is used from the mek meaning your shields could deplete.

https://youtu.be/-qljrF5BGpg
Also if you didnt want to use the electric move you can switch to a goo like substances like a cement to make the opponent move be restricted for a while or even stuck this is limited because needs resources to create special goo.

You could further increase goo capacity with a backpack!

Aug 14, 2016
When trying to think up a good example to show you a friend showed me a new game they are playing called Warm Snow. And the main character of the game kind of plays like one of builds I like to use. About 2mins into the this video this person starts to use the flying swords.

For a better understanding this this type of character and class tv tropes does a good job of it.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FlyingWeapon

Anyway, here is a rule of cool idea my friend came up with. A mecha with spikes all over it's armor and it can set itself on fire while also charging itself with electricity. Than it can just charge into enemies stabling them while also setting them on fire and stunning them while electrocuting them all at the same time. The joke was think Sonic the hedgehog if he was also covered in fire and lightning at the same time when charging into enemies.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Imagine a gadget or weapon that can make you turn into a ghost and get into areas your normal self couldn't.

If there are ghosts in this game that can take over npc's etc we need a ghost sucker and then we can put it inside the ghost machine who will keep it in a library like the iron man suits but with ghosts.

Then you can research a ghost and have an ability to go ghost form!

Aug 14, 2016
Imagine a gadget or weapon that can make you turn into a ghost and get into areas your normal self couldn't.

If there are ghosts in this game that can take over npc's etc we need a ghost sucker and then we can put it inside the ghost machine who will keep it in a library like the iron man suits but with ghosts.

Then you can research a ghost and have an ability to go ghost form!
I'm sorry, but the whole time I was reading this I was thinking of this in the back of my mind. lol