No tinkering and Elite Ranks please

Do you want Elite Ranks and Tinkering?

• Total voters

Vedemin

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Hello everyone!
There were 2 systems that ruined Firefall community after 1.6: Tinkering and Elite Ranks. They were expensive, grindy and gave players massive advantage over non-paying players. So in my opinion, tinkering and elite ranks should never see the light of day in Ember.

DemonSlayer873

Jul 27, 2016
Varna, Bulgaria
Thinkering is a typical chinese grind mechanic and unless mark sells ember to some chinese company we wont see it
Elite ranks just dont fit in a game with horizontal proggression but i'd love my extra exp to be converted into consumables and such. Elite ranks arent a bad idea red5's execution was however very poor
Edit: i wrote this right after i woke up i mean horizontal not vertical :oops:

Last edited:

Vedemin

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Thinkering is a typical chinese grind mechanic and unless mark sells ember to some chinese company we wont see it
Elite ranks just dont fit in a game with vertical proggression but i'd love my extra exp to be converted into consumables and such. Elite ranks arent a bad idea red5's execution was however very poor
Consumables and such is a good idea, just no more power please

Skerrick

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
No, at least not yet (if ever).
If ER/Tinkering or anything simlilar was proposed it would be further do the development track.
I'd also like to think it would be discussed here on the forums and possibly voted on before implementation.

Jul 28, 2016
Florida
www.facebook.com
Elite ranks just dont fit in a game with vertical proggression but i'd love my extra exp to be converted into consumables and such. Elite ranks arent a bad idea red5's execution was however very poor
This is IF ember comes to light... which honestly I would like to see what it'll bring. I see where we'll be exploring different planets on ships which makes a giant sandbox universe. It's caught my attention and seeing as how Mark has expressed his feelings for bringing the enemies to light makes me think that this WILL be created. Hopefully we'll be able to create things that'll help the "company" along with the 3D software?! It'd be interesting :)

Gordro

Omniframe Inventor
Jul 26, 2016
England
but i'd love my extra exp to be
Why would you have exp in a vertical progression system, once you have reached the end and begin the "gear grind" ala WoW it is useless? In fact why even bother with levels at all? If your progression is gear based, then forcing a player to "grind" to max in order to equip that gear seems like an enforced slowdown of gameplay

The trouble is that once you are at max level, either all gear is equal across the board, or there is some kind of better gear to aim for. a need to constantly fight to get the latest tier of equipment (just like WoW, but with guns) or improove what you currently have (ie tinkering or whatever) must therefore exist

I would have thourght that a horizontal system, aimed at perfecting your character, presumably unlimited in scope, would appeal more to players. An approach like Asherons Call would seem to fit the bill here, with a characters stats being improoved over time by "spending" experiance in a stat to increase it +1 (much like ER) each point in a stat costing more than the last point in that stat, but it is theoritically possible to reach the sky given enough time

Or even a hybrid approach which is what Firefall tried in 1.6.

From my personal experiance, the vast majority of problems that firefall faced when 1.6 was released (after all the pathetic bugs, obviosuly) was people unable to compete with those who had time on their hands.

Any system implemented will have the same issue, unless all players are equal at all times, in which case players will get board pretty soon and stop playing.

What I truly believe is that most players have not got the foggiest idea what they are talking about (or even want) and just parrot some catch phrases that a more vocal forum poster used

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Hello everyone!
There were 2 systems that ruined Firefall community after 1.6: Tinkering and Elite Ranks. They were expensive, grindy and gave players massive advantage over non-paying players. So in my opinion, tinkering and elite ranks should never see the light of day in Ember.
Not having made those system or even played them, I'll have to read this entire thread just to figure out what they are. :)

Gordro

Omniframe Inventor
Jul 26, 2016
England
Not having made those system or even played them, I'll have to read this entire thread just to figure out what they are. :)

ER - characters stat increase +1 per set amount of exp earned, no cap
TInering, improoving a piece of equipement +1 to a maximum of +9

Both horizontal and vertical in one go !!!

But the ER (elite ranks) failed because people like me, who had plenty of time on their hands, could get to 2k while average players were at 400 and tinkering because someone can just pull out their credit card and buy the raw materials to make the best in slot item.

P

PCMasterReece

ER - characters stat increase +1 per set amount of exp earned, no cap
TInering, improoving a piece of equipement +1 to a maximum of +9

Both horizontal and vertical in one go !!!

But the ER (elite ranks) failed because people like me, who had plenty of time on their hands, could get to 2k while average players were at 400 and tinkering because someone can just pull out their credit card and buy the raw materials to make the best in slot item.
Also with all the exploits in firefall (and them never getting properly fixed) you could very easily get hundreds of Elite Ranks without even trying.

Jul 28, 2016
I think Tinkering isn't bad if done right not much difference then crafting a better weapon. As for those saying its a unfair advantage for those that pay to play I've tinkered my weapons and have not payed to play yet since tinkering is done with in game credits which you don't need to pay for with RL money. Also Elite lvling is ok if it was better controlled. Seeing people make elite lvl 2000 on the first day its initiated is ridiculous. The biggest problem is those who just stand around AFK LEACHing XP from players that are doing mission/jobs/encounters to get those extremely high elite lvl. IMO if you don't do the work playing the game you shouldn't be able to get the XP credit

Jul 27, 2016
Georgia
Why not instead of getting direct benefits from max-level exp gain, that extra XP is put into a pool which gives +100% to other frames/specializations as long as it's filled?

I.E. If you have a maxed Rhino frame, you can use that frame and gain "x" amount of points into shared pool so when you play as a Tigerclaw, you get a % bonus boost that pulls from the "overflow XP Pool". Granted, if we're going horizontal, there probably won't be a need for something like that, but if there is an XP gain for specializations (weapon/frame/etc.) that would be a good way to not "waste" max level XP.

Gordro

Omniframe Inventor
Jul 26, 2016
England
Seeing people make elite lvl 2000 on the first day its initiated is ridiculous.
No one got ER 2k on the first day, in fact, by 1.7, almost 6 months after release there were very very few over 2k, we are talking under 10 people.

I DO know that for 6 months I was playing 12 hours a day (would have been more, but I did need to earn some cash occasionally to keep the Wife in Jimi Choos) and I was versed in jumping between shards and the playerbase was not so big that the higher ER didint know of each other (at least)

Maybe there were a lot of macro people out there who were never seen, but to all purposes, they didint exist because they were playing a single player game with no interaction with real people.

Misreporting doesent help any arguement, especially when the point to this thread is to talk about how a system in the future can be designed.

The single biggest failiure of ANY progressing system is that of jealousy that it creastes, but it MUST have an element of it in order to "hook" people.

Bit of a tight rope.