New website launched: www.em8er.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightStroke

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
In early WoW design, we wanted to increase replay-ability by giving each class a unique mechanic. Warriors had stances, while other classes had other things. This way, when you tried another class, it was a fresh experience with new mechanics to learn.

I'm simply bringing this philosophy to Em-8ER, but on a small scale (we have 3 frametypes)
Any clues on what the mechanics for the other two frametypes would be >.>

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
The logo caught my eye has a nice barrel of a gun look or then again 3 ice cream scoops on a futuristic plate :)
You could add a section for apparel with the logo and other cool things in the future even artwork and toys made in 3d printer?

website is neat and tidy and the red sections highlighted made it stand out & wanted to know more!
Its unique i love it so far

signed up for the mailing list and waiting for more great stuff to happen

Fooni

Commander
Jul 26, 2016
Hello everyone!

We've launched the new, dedicated website for the game, www.em8er.com

The new site features a much more organized and spacious place to centralize information about the game. It should provide a much better spot to direct new/curious people when they want to find out more about Em-8ER.
The logo really reminds me of Chrono Trigger's clock C logo.
Tell me you are a fan of Chrono Trigger too?

Krhys

Commander
Jul 26, 2016
Sorry if it's just me being thick but I thought the original concept of the 'omniframe' was that our one frame was fully customisable into whatever role we wanted for it.

Now I see we have 3 variants, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of calling it the omniframe??? Light is pretty much recon and engi/biotech, Standard is like the assault and Heavy pretty much equals dread. I know the game is the spiritual successor to FF but is the current desgin not drifting a bit too close?

The site is pretty good though, wish there was a download link!!!

Jul 26, 2016
Sorry if it's just me being thick but I thought the original concept of the 'omniframe' was that our one frame was fully customisable into whatever role we wanted for it.

Now I see we have 3 variants, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of calling it the omniframe??? Light is pretty much recon and engi/biotech, Standard is like the assault and Heavy pretty much equals dread. I know the game is the spiritual successor to FF but is the current desgin not drifting a bit too close?

I think that was just so we have three different visual options. Kinda like bare minimum transmog system.

Although arguably having roles in combat aside from simply DPS wouldn't be a bad thing. So being able to distinguish by visual is always a good thing.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016

I can offer a bit of clarification on this. The original indiegogo campaign for the website had two statements about the Omniframe.
  • Build and customize your own "omniframe" suit and weapons system. Customize them to your unique needs and the role you want to fulfill.
  • Omniframe: To keep initial costs down, we will use one frame that can be advanced into several class variants. We still have classes, this is just to save on art resources in the first few milestones.
As you can see, the only reason for having just one frame body-type was to keep initial costs down, the only change here is that we went ahead and made some basic art assets for the other frame body-types sooner rather than later. Which, I am happy to say, was only possible because this amazing community has exceeded our funding goals at every turn. The earliest prototypes versions of Em-8er will still only have one body-type to play with, but the plan is to eventually have the three.

I understand that the word "Omni" in Omniframe suggests multi-use and/or multi-purpose at the very least. There is still quite a bit of variety of build within each frame-type, and the frames will be quite effective in many types of combat and traversal situations, but we never meant to imply that there would only ever be one frame that can do all things.

To the question of does this bring Em-8er closer to firefall's class breakdown, and more importantly, whether or not that would be a good thing? Well I would say that is a matter of perspective. Different people would want to see different parts of firefall reborn in Em-8er. Also, different games have broken classes down in different ways, some even with a light, medium and heavy set up. Either way, I hope you stick with us to see how the options for the Omniframe take shape. There are some rather cool ideas being considered behind the scenes. With your continued support, we hope we can keep on exceeding the goals we set out in front of us.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016

We managed to keep the cost down by having on frame type and 7 replaceable armor plates or sections, making it modular. (In Firefall, each frame was a custom one-off with its own from-scratch model and even animations. very costly) The frames are not really 3 fixed frames. One frame can be customized into many different roles, because its the player who decides what abilities to slot in that frametype and what weapons to use. There is a lot of flexibility here withing a frametype and the heavy is not limited to being "dread" for example.

Many wanted more frame variants. It was a frequent request in the beginning when people asked "why can't we have more than one frame?". We're happy that through the additional funding they provided, we were able accommodate that request that still keeps the budget low while increasing player flexibility. I know of few games that allow you to essentially create your own role like we do with these frametypes.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
We managed to keep the cost down by having on frame type and 7 replaceable armor plates or sections, making it modular. (In Firefall, each frame was a custom one-off with its own from-scratch model and even animations. very costly) The frames are not really 3 fixed frames. One frame can be customized into many different roles, because its the player who decides what abilities to slot in that frametype and what weapons to use. There is a lot of flexibility here withing a frametype and the heavy is not limited to being "dread" for example.

Many wanted more frame variants. It was a frequent request in the beginning when people asked "why can't we have more than one frame?". We're happy that through the additional funding they provided, we were able accommodate that request that still keeps the budget low while increasing player flexibility. I know of few games that allow you to essentially create your own role like we do with these frametypes.
SO SOMETHING LIKE 1 FRAME WITH 3 "SKILL" TREE THAT CAN ACTIVATE BACK AND FORTH? LIKE 'LIGHT', 'MEDIUM' AND 'HEAVY' TREE?

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US

Question on this part. I know there have been a couple posts over the months (by me too) referring to Armored Core type customization. A way to tie into firefall was the pre launch build constraints. You could over load the frame (regardless of class) easily if you tried 'best in slot' approach. Too much mass, too much energy etc.

Nothing nobody doesn't already know about that and tanking resources when crafting in firefall. But when you look at armored core you start to see the huge range of load outs. Back on track with my original question(s). If you had a light build but wanted one heavy shoulder mounted weapon, could you switch out for a smaller pistol type weapon for one hand to balance it? Then move on to servos and systems that would reduce flight speed but maintain ground speed in build while keeping a hopping play style for avoidance.

Or take the heavy setup. Have shoulder mounted heavy long range targetting but a Big O style piston melee hand with shotgun in the other. Lumbering movement with near zero flight but have systems built for a strong dash to close distance into the fray but no maneuverability while boosting. Any Armored Core veterans know exactly when mean with this.

Wish I could bring up the load outs to older Mech Warrior games but those options changed greatly based on the Mech.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I'm with @Krhys here in thinking that with multiple frames it sounds kinda silly to call it an Omniframe. unless we want technically say it's an Omni® Frame. Otherwise they should simply be <name> frame. Terminator frame, EvilKitty Frame or what have you. I do understand that you need to keep this game separate from Firefall, but "frame" seems fairly generic. Obviously that is simply my own opinion.

I do have one comment though that I would like to throw out there concerning multiple frames. Please please PLEASE don't make us "level up" each individual frame separately. It was one of the things that I really found absolutely infuriating about Firefall and was the reason I ended up with only one main and one alt frame.

Also as a side note, I see we are supposed to register our emails, but haven't we already done that? Or do we need to do it again...

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
Lumbering movement with near zero flight but have systems built for a strong dash to close distance into the fray but no maneuverability while boosting.
IF YOU RIP OFF THE WINGS. YEAH NO FLYING.

BUT I'M STARTING TO HATE THESE ARMORED CORE COMPARISON OR WHAT EVER YOU ALL ARE BRINGING IT UP.

AC ARE BIG ASS HEAVY METALS.

OMNIFRAME ARE BUILD WITH SOME F*CKING NANO-WHAT-THAT-SH*T-CALLED-AGAIN. THOSE SH*T ARE BRUTALLY LIGHT AND STUBBORN LIKE A BADASS MOTHAF*CKA. YOU COULD REKT A BUNKER WITH A BASEBALL BAT FROM THAT MATERIALS.

I DID ASKED OUR GREAT LORD GRUMMZIFER ABOUT THE WEIGHT DIFFERENCES. YEAH, GUESS IT DEPENDS WHAT CRAP YOU SLAP ON THAT FRAME. LIKE 10-50 KILO?

KBTKaiser

Commander
Ark Liege
Jul 31, 2016
Australia
From what I understand for the omniframes so far, you're still able to do silly things like tanking light omni or speedy heavy omni if one inclines to, but it doesn't mean that it's a good thing in a "meta" sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.