New Em-8er Build: Visual Overhaul! 7/7/2022 (Build v1.0 , v1.2, and v1.2.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
Gatestriders!
What's better than looking up to see a beautiful vision of the sky? Why, having that sky be spread over the corpses of your defeated Tsihu enemies of course!

In other words, the latest update to the demo is up RIGHT NOW for backers of the appropriate level and above.
Hop in, have fun, even break it if you can. Whatever you do, and whatever you find just make sure to leave us some feedback right here, right now.

The devs are watching, and so am I!

Skube

Firstclaimer
Hypedration
Jul 26, 2016
www.youtube.com
The new visuals look great I feel like I'm actually on a different planet.

A few bugs I found:

-The first time I got in I spawned in the ground

-Deepstryking from a really high altitude may cause you to crash through the map

-Deploying the T.H.M.P.R on an angle (Like if node is on an area with a small bump) causes the thmuper to spin on the ground without deploying but the encounter starts and if you get close to it you get killed as if the thumper crashed on you.

-Deepstryking inside the base causes you to be in an infinite fall while being stuck in place

-The Thumper would sometimes drill a really big hole in which your whole frame can fall through

-Don't know if a bug but the knee biters prioritize the player over the thumper (they don't seem to attack the thumper at all)

-Mouse settings are weird. Every time I log into the the build the mouse sensitivity is super low until I open the settings and hit Apply. After I do it Mouse Smoothing is On and doesn't turn off no matter what I do.

Last edited:

farias

Ark Liege
Aug 17, 2020
Brazil
Ok guys, I have to say that even in this early stage the game is already very fun to play. The thumper encounter is challenging, with enemies coming from all sides, obstacles to avoid, and you can already understand that it needs coordination to cover all sides and keep an eye on the knee biters to keep the thumper alive. I also like the sound cues when enemies are spawning, because it helps to be aware of the directions they are coming. But I wish we had some indicator of the thumper's health and a timer for the encounter, it would help a lot with the situational awareness.

These are the bugs I found while playing the demo:
  1. After using the Deepstrike ability I got stuck in the hole that was created. Maybe it's the same as the second bug reported by Skube.
  2. A few times I got stuck in the giant crystals that spawn when the thumper encounter starts, one time I was just running around and the crystal dropped from the sky and trapped me, and I also got stuck when I fell between two crystal pieces while jumping on top of the thing.
  3. During the beginning of the first thumper encounter, i think the Tsi-hu were ignoring me, the knee biters kept attacking but the Tsi-hu took some time to start attacking me, I think it happened for about 1 minute, and my ping was stable around 100ms~110ms at the time.
  4. It was possible to call 2 thumpers very close together, which caused some confusion as to which one to defend. And maybe causing other bugs like lag, unstable ping, and also the thumper encounter not finishing properly.
  5. Ping was fluctuating a lot for me,maybe because of the 2 thumpers active in close proximity, it was between 30ms and 240ms, and in some moments I had a problem with lag of about 10 seconds, where I could move around the map and shoot normally, but the other players and enemies were frozen. I didn't worry too much about it because I know the server is in North America and I'm in South America, and also the problem only hapenned when the 2 thumpers were active and there were at least 15 people playing.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
- Not in the white box is certainly more immersive to the players and looks great.
- Performance boost notice i can get around 130ish -144fps which i didn't get before consistantly!
- In 3rd person when you press H the camera side changes to right shoulder view when jet packing or sprinting and after you stop goes back to left shoulder view.

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
This is more of a suggestion but could potentially add bugs if introduced. IMO the white boxing having been cleaned up for a better looking continuing build is great! With that said the Kneebiters still being blocks is a bit odd in my opine. Perhaps a placeholder bug or something from the marketplace could be tossed on those since it would be a placeholder as with all the other assets in the build and get rid of the bouncing blocks...lol. I think that would help with the look/feel of the builds as they continue forward.

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
[SOLVED]

Problem:

When trying to run the demo from 2022-07-07, I got:

Code:
The following component(s) are required to run this program:

DirectX Runtime
This was reproduced using a fresh install of Windows 11. Other than installing some Steam games, I had not done anything specific.

Solution:

I downloaded and installed the DirectX offline installer:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=8109

DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)
2021-02-20

When launching, I was given a warning that I should update my driver.

I am using an NVIDIA GeForce 1030 with whatever Windows 11 gave me.

I downloaded the driver from here:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/190552/en-us/

GEFORCE GAME READY DRIVER

Version: 516.59 WHQL
Release Date: 2022.6.28
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit, Windows 11
Language: English (US)
File Size: 784.7 MB

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
Q (thrust) is annoying:

- Jump
- point up
- Q (thrust)
- I am expecting space (jump/thrust) to cancel the movement
- I am expecting gliding (shift) to cancel the thrust

I like that the biters don't go after the thumper, because I can lure them around. If different frames could handle that situation their own way, it could be very fun.

Some enemies stood on top of the rocks and do nothing. What do I call those rocks?

I don't like that I have to press 1 to change guns. I keep using a missile or gliding then reflectively pressing 1, switching to the wrong gun and only learn what I am holding when I shoot it.

I find the energy concept of the cannon dumb. I shoot with it and don't see any of the reticle stuff. I'm playing the game and my attention is out in the field not at the overlay. I never notice any energy concept and keep getting confused that I can't play the game any more. Don't have guns stop working; that's not fun. The plasma is not a cooldown, it is a weapon. Instead, change the color and shape of the blasts. It's the same idea where rifle changes sounds.

Scanning lets me find things, but that will eventually elapse and I have to scan again.. except it will find new minerals in different places.

I had a firing lockup. After pressing e (deepstryke), it only let me left-click once per bullet and holding it down didn't work for a while. I think I was holding left mouse button during the landing.

I tabbed out during the login process and I spawned inside the ground. I'm showing the falling / flailing animation constantly.

----

I get 60 fps predictably on low settings on my GeForce 1030. I'd need to do more testing with many other players.

The default mouse settings are perfect.

There used to be other graphics settings where I could REALLY turn the settings down. It made the game hilariously blocky. I could then optionally turn my character resolution up, which was interesting. This type of gameplay was awesome to look at because it reminded me a lot of a PlayStation 2. Bring this functionality back! Hide it in some other panel.

Updating my graphics drivers and not rebooting was a bad idea, because some things are jerky. I'll do some re-testing later.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2017
After a couple of minutes, these are the bugs I encountered:
  1. When I died, I spawned under the base and then fell to the bottom of the map.
  2. I deepstriked at the bottom of the map and that made a bubble of space that I could walk around in but couldn't get out. When I deepstriked again inside the bubble, it caused the character to be falling forever without moving (stuck, still inside the bubble).
  3. The left Alt key both puts away your weapon and zooms in.
  4. I went to the tallest area at the edge of the map and then glided to be above a lower area while using my Q to stay as close to the map ceiling as possible. Then I deepstriked and it caused a text box to open saying "Fatal error." However the game itself was still functioning and I could still move and everything. When I went to the Esc menu to click on "Okay" in the text box then the game closed.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
- I am expecting space (jump/thrust) to cancel the movement
- I am expecting gliding (shift) to cancel the thrust
That would be good so we are able to do something different especially if it was pressed by accident.

don't like that I have to press 1 to change guns. I keep using a missile or gliding then reflectively pressing 1, switching to the wrong gun and only learn what I am holding when I shoot it.
I had more issues with number 2 the lock on was a little slow.
What could be good is a different sound when switching to another weapon also a little icon that shows the weapon currently equipped.

I find the energy concept of the cannon dumb. I shoot with it and don't see any of the reticle stuff. I'm playing the game and my attention is out in the field not at the overlay. I never notice any energy concept and keep getting confused that I can't play the game any more. Don't have guns stop working; that's not fun. The plasma is not a cooldown, it is a weapon. Instead, change the color and shape of the blasts. It's the same idea where rifle changes sounds.
An alternate reticle or added info would make it much better for the plasma cannon.
That way we are better able to judge the arc of the trajectory to get those shots in.

The plasma cannon is an energy weapon so i am not sure why we cannot release all the shots in one go

5 shots until energy is depleted
What i am not certain of is why there is a small pause to shoot the next plasma shot hmm
Could it be a safety measure to prevent the plasma cannon from overheat/explode?

Initial shot recharge takes about 5 seconds
For the full 5 shots around 22 seconds

Recharge could be 3 seconds per shot?

Scanning lets me find things, but that will eventually elapse and I have to scan again.. except it will find new minerals in different places.
Yes i scanned and the first saw 2 types of resources and my second scan near the same area was only 1 type that was different.

Just like the crater holes made by the ability deep strike i'd imagine the resources could be depleted to a point and then gradually regenerated since the layers under the ground is constantly shifting or flowing at various rates.

The new scan could reveal the new resource spot which is either near to the last spot or further away.
What would be interesting is to show the % of the resource e.g. 35% availability etc

There used to be other graphics settings where I could REALLY turn the settings down. It made the game hilariously blocky. I could then optionally turn my character resolution up, which was interesting. This type of gameplay was awesome to look at because it reminded me a lot of a PlayStation 2. Bring this functionality back! Hide it in some other panel.
I'd like to see this too!

Updating my graphics drivers and not rebooting was a bad idea, because some things are jerky. I'll do some re-testing later.

I needed to reboot to fix my odd laggy system. It's strange because CPU / etc usage was fine. So that was a graphics driver issue for a while.

Rebooting did not influence game FPS, which is also strange.
Do you find that windows 10 or windows 11 makes any difference between the 2?
Also could a clean install of the demo help?

These particular 2 lazy knee biters are playing in the ground and moving up and down
while the rest moved as usual as knee biters do!
kneestuckers.jpg

P

punkbuzter#6186

Here's my collective report:

Personal input:
I would very much like a smaller font in the game settings menu.
And if possible, make L-ALT detach mouse from crosshair so one can navigate the menus and chatbox on screen.

New finds...

# Small stars in the skybox are strobing.
# Medium Frame during "glide" appears crooked/bendt as if it's simulating a Right turn.
# While gliding, character inside appears bent over, as if he/she's looking down and backwards.
# What appears to be small patches of shadows on the ground appears/disappears 2-3 meters infront of the character. (shader problem?)

# Some of the static clouds above the lower layers appears duplicated (for density?).
# Dotted/striped graphical glitch appears even in screenshots when turning camera too fast, more of that down below.

Old finds still remaining...

# ":tongue_stuck_out:" still appears in chat box instead of a smiley when writing -> :p
(colon and P)

# 3rd person camera always goes into default position when hovering and sprinting regardless of offset settings.
(Default appears to be +128, setting this to -90 makes no difference when conditions above are meet, user settings ignored)

# 3rd person Horizontal/Vertical sensitivity sliders appears wack, set it to 0, your max is "1", slide it to 1 and max is "2". Weird things starts to happen when you set it lower than 1.
(Having to slide it back and forth is tedious, not to mention the overkill of being able to set it to 3.34351 as an example of too much detail in numbers. Who makes a 0.00001 change?
isn't just 3.34 accurate enough?)

# 1st person Mouse Look Settings same story.
(Let me give you an example... Set it to 0.00128, Apply, Accept, Close. Go back into Gameplay Settings and drag the slider to the Right.
I had to drag that slider 9 times to hit a value above "1", and 1 is already way to fast for comfort, yet this slider goes aaall the way to 5, I dare you to try 5!

# Speaking of 5, as insane as this value is, weird graphical glitches appears on screen while the sensitivity is that high, an example is attached below.
PS: That is not taken with a phone, it was literally printscreened with ShareX.

Attachments

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Thank you for the feedback. We've deployed a new build that should fix the spawning issue and THMPR recall issue among others. As per Harry:

Fixed:
  • all mouse sensitivity settings not applying on start
  • mouse sensitivity clamping to 0 to 1 range, with no effect beyond 1
  • Deepstrike falling through floor
  • Deepstrike speed not being capped
  • Deepstrike more reliably forming Deepstrikes and velocity smoothly carrying omniframe into the bottom of the newly formed crater
  • inconsistency in Deepstrike vfx and crater size between client, server, and simulated proxies
  • reworked Deepstrike floor detection
  • thumpr lifetime reduced to 6 minutes from 30 minutes
  • cleaned up thumpr state transitions
  • thumpr not playing landing animation due to montage attempting to play while still in the air removed bad player starts
  • shoulder cam not being flipped in most movement modes when switching shoulders
  • added additional repulsion to falling debris
  • reduced thumpr mining crater size because they are deceptively deep and easy to fall down into
Thanks and keep it coming! New build is now available for download.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Deepstrike falling through floor
Still happening on EU & Pacific server, attempted deep strike near where the base / dropship is.
toomuchdeepstike.jpg

Fps smoothing min and max isn't saved and resets each time.

tsihuportal.jpg
Tsihu stuck on the other side of the portal

In 1st person mode could there be a 1st person glide?

Last edited:

farias

Ark Liege
Aug 17, 2020
Brazil
Hello again!
After playing the new build I still got some bugs but this time they are different depending on the server I use. For example, the deepstrike bug still occurs in the US server, but seems to have been fixed in the Pacific server. Maybe the fixes were deployed to some servers but not to others.

US server bugs:
  1. Deepstrike bug is not fixed, when it's triggered from low altitude it make us hover and stutter above the hole, and from high altitude it sometimes don't even create the hole and leaves me stuck below the ground.
  2. When calling a thumper I'm logged out automatically (same as reported by joshua), and after i login again while the thumper is still active I'm logged out if I try to get close to where the thumper is supposed to be.

Pacific server bug:
  1. The tsi-hu and knee biters don't spawn during the thumper encounter.
Edit:
Now I have some recordings of these bugs if you guys need it.

Last edited:

Leetshield

Deepscanner
Jan 26, 2017
Gatestriders!
What's better than looking up to see a beautiful vision of the sky? Why, having that sky be spread over the corpses of your defeated Tsihu enemies of course!

In other words, the latest update to the demo is up RIGHT NOW for backers of the appropriate level and above.
Hop in, have fun, even break it if you can. Whatever you do, and whatever you find just make sure to leave us some feedback right here, right now.

The devs are watching, and so am I!
ok 6 years in and this is where we are.

1. You need to be upfront with the people supporting this development. The way I see it, there seems to be a lot of time and money spent for very little gain. I for one would like to see how much money has been dropped on this development thus far.

Demo related points (i'm only going to comment on bad points):

2. Frame movement doesn't feel right, and the accompanying sound effects make me want to just stand still. Look at the frame movement in Anthem for comparison.
3. Gun recoil is meh, I have a mech suit with all this power and ability but it cant do a half decent job of reducing gun recoil.. I prefer a 2nd mouse button aim when pressed, back out when released style.
4. Enemy movement is just shockingly bad.
5. Placing Thumper in first person mode doesn't seem to work.
6. cant tell when i've changed weapon (2nd weapon is pure trash btw)
7. I dont understand the point of scanning for a resources if the thumper mech just wanders off. The scanning in FF was so much better with contour lines indicating deposits and quality

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
ok 6 years in and this is where we are.

1. You need to be upfront with the people supporting this development. The way I see it, there seems to be a lot of time and money spent for very little gain. I for one would like to see how much money has been dropped on this development thus far.

Demo related points (i'm only going to comment on bad points):

2. Frame movement doesn't feel right, and the accompanying sound effects make me want to just stand still. Look at the frame movement in Anthem for comparison.
3. Gun recoil is meh, I have a mech suit with all this power and ability but it cant do a half decent job of reducing gun recoil.. I prefer a 2nd mouse button aim when pressed, back out when released style.
4. Enemy movement is just shockingly bad.
5. Placing Thumper in first person mode doesn't seem to work.
6. cant tell when i've changed weapon (2nd weapon is pure trash btw)
7. I dont understand the point of scanning for a resources if the thumper mech just wanders off. The scanning in FF was so much better with contour lines indicating deposits and quality
1) Transparency goes some way with trust although keeping some of the top trumps from competitors is also as important.

2) These are just place holders to give us an idea, i am sure when the true mechs are revealed with the super sounds would be much more impressive.

3) I'd imagine there could be mods to help reduce gun recoil and i think with the 2nd mouse button to aim is certainly a good idea. What i'd really like to see is different gun fire modes such as semi, burst and auto which we can set some way or switch when we need to.

4) They could certainly improve and also as an example if a tsihu was a higher rank or a lower rank could that make them behave more smart than a lower rank tsihu hmm

5) Yes its strange you can see the green out thumpr shape to deploy it down but just unable to place it down in 1st person. Then trying this again made the thumpr shape much more closer i'd suggest this to be a little further away.
tomatumper.jpg

6) Weapon icon or some unique sound could help and i don't know about trash it does clear out some trash very well with the advantage of its aoe. Its not as fast but then i keep thinking about mods and how great it could be!

7) I absolutely loved the contour lines yes this was much nicer to see, have you read the em8er medium with regards to the thumpr progression here is the link

https://medium.com/em-8er/personal-t-h-m-p-r-s-progression-b5994a042424

In the Eu server

Went into 1st person mode did a scan and then tried to jet pack and was unable to!
Even went into 3rd person and the issue was the same where did the jet pack energy vanish?

Doing a Deep strike low didn't end the action and i was left floating
floatyframe.jpg

Just wondering what if the knee biters could leap time to time when they want to close down on their opponent imagine a swarm of them leaping would look quite worrying :D

During a thumpr mission with odysseus#4317 noticed the tsihu retreating so fast it was as fast as a benny hill show and they vanished :S

Perhaps our mighty presence had scared some of them off?

Is there a way to close the chat box and open it when you need and also how do you scroll to previous messages?

Another thing when a thumpr is spawned close to cliff side the tsihu on the other side of the cliff just gather unless you go in their line of detection / sight.
lazytsihu.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.