Hardware:
GPU: Nvidia 3080ti FE
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
MotherBoard: X570 ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO
PSU: EVGA 1000W
RAM: 32GB G.skill DDR4
SSD: Samsung 980pro
Display: 1440p 165hz GSync

While walking/running and looking around I get 80-90 fps on the new nanite demo on epic with dlss off, and 110-130 fps with dlss balanced on.

DHYohko

Ark Liege
Nov 6, 2018
Ryzen 5 3600
16 GB 3600 CL 16 ram
gtx 1050ti

medium presets + low shadows got me 40-50. Low graphics just too ugly to even recommend and everything looks blurry as well.
Just got a 3070ti, cranked settings up to high and other than a random dip to 58 around the nanite terrain when moving quickly seems like a solid 60

Zednel

Firstclaimer
Jul 27, 2016
Hungary
Ryzen 5 3600
16 GB RAM
RX 580 (4gb)
1080p full screen

I made a chart, writing down the FPS while doing four different things, in all four presets, with four resolution scales. (the last four purple columns are 120 fps cap, therefore their top is cut down)

fps.JPG

Last edited:

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
Ryzen 1800X
16GB RAM
VEGA 64 (Sapphire Nitro+
3440*1440

Running all settings on Epic, I could get 60-100FPS on the previous demo. In most areas, I get 30-40FPS, and near the nanite terrain I can drop to 10-20FPS.

It looks really good, but not so good I'd be willing to upgrade my computer. While I can get a marginal FPS increase by lowering the graphics settings, it looks horrendous. A $250 PC is not going to be able to run this with any competency, and adding the new frames, more enemies, fauna, flora, players with all manner of different skins and weapons, as well as all the shadows for these... not to mention this is a small area of nanite... will make it worse.

If it can be optimised. If it can still looks good on lower graphics settings. Great.

Overall Graphics Quality Screenshots
EPIC -----------------------------------

HIGH --------------------------------------

MEDIUM --------------------------------------

LOW ----------------------------------------------

I enjoy the lowered visibility when running around or gliding in the fog. Playing a THMPR encounter within the fog is a different experience than outside it, and I actually prefer it. My concern is getting lost in the deep fog areas where you can't even see the ground. A resource scan style ping, or a view mode that had sort of overlay where you could see the ground. enemies and players around you would be helpful. So would a minimap.

The new THMPR hit effect (that electric discharge) is a nice touch.

Hopefully it can be optimised further.

grayhammer#2116

Ark Liege
Ark Liege
Oct 28, 2021
System:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 - 10GB GDDR6X
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core
Ram: 64 DDR4 3200MHz Ram

This test is on all Epic Quality.

Test: Spawn Location
1. Looking at sky from spawn location 200-190fps

2. looking into the distance (Non-Fog side) 110-136fps movement is consistent fps. same with spamming abilities moving and shooting fps does jump up when looking down. 130-140fps. Moving to fog now.

Test: Flying to Location
1. Flying/gliding Is consistent 120-135fps dive bombing brings it up to 150-160. Looking straight up is a solid 200+ fps.

Test: Fog
1. Surprisingly fog doing little to impact and is bringing the fps up than I would think. 138-150 This is with standing still shooting moving and spamming abilities. Looking up is a solid 190-210fps

Test: Nanite Alpha Base
1. The base itself is giving me 97-104 fps, moving jumping and shooting 78-94fps.
2. Tested with a thumper once, and it gave me 71-94fps.

Conclusions and thoughts: Nanite Test
The Movement is rather fluid, and feels good. Using abilities is a bit jarring and gliding is a high I never thought I'd see again.

Fps drops when quickly snap turning by 20-30fps and when alt tabbing even in borderless window mode it will have a conniption and stutter step for a moment, bounces back rather quickly though.

The test is surprisingly stable for a Alpha test version, no crashes yet even when I intentionally go out of my way to cause them. Limiting ram to the system and application, placing the game on low priority and opening many applications or doing rendering in blender did nothing to stop this game.

No terrain clipping as the many times I've gone as high up as I can with thrusters and meteor/booster then slamming down into the base, terrain and mountains. thought I was going somewhere with slamming into the drop ship when I saw the terrain disappear for a moment but I was unable to replicate it.

Also the ground slide you do when hitting the ground or skidding it is satisfying.

TL&DR: FPS Good, Optimization want, Alpha much good looking of promising.

Ps. Monkey brain and lizard brain wrote the TLDR.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Noticed this effect. Some of the frame's colours appear on the ground and fade out when switching between first and third person. It appears while turning and gliding, but it's difficult to notice. Maybe related to the new lighting?
View attachment 5011
I had noticed this before and thought it could be glow insects that just appear maybe i am wrong :D

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
View attachment 5013

I launched a thmpr, went afk cuz life, and came back dead. I respawn and I am invalid name.
also tone down the bloom I guess?
View attachment 5014
this was at medium settings btw.
Thats the thing thumpr kick starts the event unless it could give the player the option to

E.g. could be pressing a button or using the radial menu to choose what option you want

- Press (button X) toStart thumping
- Press (button F) to Follow you
- Press (button B) to Defend Area / base
- Press (button R) toReturn to HQ

That way the event wont start until you / group are fully ready.

This does look quite bloomy as if you found a treasure!!

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
I tried logging on from work with both my main and alt and got the Invalid Name issue. Since both of them had the issue, I was able to glean a few things:
- You don't appear on the scoreboard, but do appear in the player count.
- You can still send an receive messages in chat with the correct name.
- Players see your name as Invalid Name.
- Everything else seems to work correctly.

One of them encountered the bug that spawns you with 0/30 rounds and won't allow you to reload. According to the log, the message is:
LogAbilitySystem: Warning: Can't activate LocalOnly or LocalPredicted ability Default__GA_AutoWeaponAbility_AssaultRifle_C when not local! Net Execution Policy is 0.

I recorded a video but the audio is all kinds of messed up, while also being in 1680*1050. If you need it, or the logs, please message me.

There's also a significant fire rate increase when firing after Overthrusting. It's the same as the boost you receive from sliding, but it stays consistent until you jumpjet or your frame hits anything.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Have notices these things probably been said already, but have not noticed it until today.

ping0.jpg
Ping appears to be 0 on all servers on the table but not below where it says player ping.

keybind menu.jpg
I cannot see the resource inventory here?

Also sometimes i am unable to scroll down the resource inventory to check on the resources i have collected but other times it works without any issue.

redin.jpg
redout.jpg Red is nice when there is not much light but outside it looks more pink same can be said for green too.

blueeffect.jpg
blueandredeffect.jpg
The plasma cannon fires a nice blue projectile effect and some red particles which i think is from the assault weapon.

redfire.jpg
redfireb.jpg
The assault rifle fires red/orange particle effects looks nice!

I am still having to input my smoothing fps min and max each time i login, as it does not seem to save yet unlike the other settings that are saved.

shouldercam.jpg
Switch camera shoulder still has the issue especially on this side when jet packing or sprinting.

thrusters.jpg
The thrusters look very cool just like in those mech anime's!

When is pacific server getting their pacific server, it looks the same as Eu server which i am getting similar ping?

NeoUSMCVet

Omega Founder
Jul 28, 2016
Colorado
(These are my thoughts since i myself work with UE5)

From a technical perspective I have a great understanding of how Nanite works under the hood. So i wont really hit on a performance perspective in terms of how little or great it is.

So that being said, I cannot rule out that Nanite is less performant in this first test due to the fact that it can be further optimized for better performance. From a testing standpoint it would be more effective to list the performance based on current hardware to the current optimizations of the nanite settings in this build.

In a much much larger world nanite will result in better performance if paired with world partition and its streaming proxies. However since we have the ability for aerial maneuvering creating a singular nanite mesh for the base landscape will result in higher performance as an always loaded asset while providing a visual representation of land. After which, using nanite meshes to create the details of world utilizing streaming proxies may help with future implementations of nanite.

[Feedback]

Some of the collisions on the Nanite meshes seem to sit too far off the mesh. The result is the character floating, this is most noticeable where larger rocks stick out. Not enough hulls or faces on the collision mesh to fit the sharp angles of the rocks.

The foot IK feels and looks (from client perspective) like the legs wont extend beyond a certain point. ( could be from the collision mesh stated above) This makes it feel like the characters standing on invisible flat surface in some areas.

From a performance standpoint, I hope that you consider adding support for AMD FSR, which is extremely simple to implement. As it runs separate from DLSS, and its not bound by a single framework it would benefit all graphics hardware and will also greatly affect performance in most cases.

It is difficult for me to provide any more critical feedback since the scale or small usage of Nanite meshes in the build is limited. My hope is for a second test build that includes a much broader usage of Nanite meshes as a mock terrain build. I also hope that you allow for the console to be used so that we can put up stats and metrics in our feedback. ( I did not attempt to add an input for the console in the ini files.)

R9 3900X
64GB 3200 CL 14
AMD 5700XT 8G
Played from 2TB 7200 HDD

Avg 25-35 FPS - EPIC
Avg 35-40 FPS - HIGH

NeoUSMCVet

Omega Founder
Jul 28, 2016
Colorado
System:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 - 10GB GDDR6X
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core
Ram: 64 DDR4 3200MHz Ram

This test is on all Epic Quality.

Test: Spawn Location

TL&DR: FPS Good, Optimization want, Alpha much good looking of promising.

Ps. Monkey brain and lizard brain wrote the TLDR.
One very important consideration to your overall experience is based on the hardware your currently using to test with.

Not everyone has access to a 3080 or even a 68-6900 graphics cards. In terms of testing and performance your system will most likely or if at all experience issues. Because of this fact, i recommend focusing on other areas of feedback rather than performance. Your current system puts you in the best possible position to identify gameplay, input, and other various actions that those whose performance suffers.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
One very important consideration to your overall experience is based on the hardware your currently using to test with.

Not everyone has access to a 3080 or even a 68-6900 graphics cards. In terms of testing and performance your system will most likely or if at all experience issues. Because of this fact, i recommend focusing on other areas of feedback rather than performance. Your current system puts you in the best possible position to identify gameplay, input, and other various actions that those whose performance suffers.
If we all want to get the best experience to them what would this require?

- Good monitor does it have to be a certain refresh rate ? ( i like playing on 1080p its fine for me)

- Do monitors with such as G-sync or free sync help the experience? ( i have no idea do not have those)

- Mouse (i have noticed my laser mouse is more responsive than my standard optical mouse)

- Keyboard (i just use a standard keyboard but some say gaming one's are more responsive i have no idea)

- Internet connection is it connected to Ethernet directly, is it wireless, is it cable, fibre, dial up, even satellite hmm and what is the nearest server to them? (ethernet is good just dont let the cat eat the wire!)

- what would be the best options for those with different internet connection if for example someone was using satellite are there ways to make it better?

- What computer spec with the lowest power consumption could run Em8er well?

- Would an ssd drive help than a normal hard drive is that just for the operating system and to help boot time etc?

- Is there any performance improvements with the choice of operating system e.g windows 10, windows 11, windows 7. linux etc?

- How much of an improvement would dlss and fsr help to improve our experience ?

what else do we need to consider?

NeoUSMCVet

Omega Founder
Jul 28, 2016
Colorado
If we all want to get the best experience to them what would this require?

- Good monitor does it have to be a certain refresh rate ? ( i like playing on 1080p its fine for me)

- Do monitors with such as G-sync or free sync help the experience? ( i have no idea do not have those)

- Mouse (i have noticed my laser mouse is more responsive than my standard optical mouse)

- Keyboard (i just use a standard keyboard but some say gaming one's are more responsive i have no idea)

- Internet connection is it connected to Ethernet directly, is it wireless, is it cable, fibre, dial up, even satellite hmm and what is the nearest server to them? (ethernet is good just dont let the cat eat the wire!)

- what would be the best options for those with different internet connection if for example someone was using satellite are there ways to make it better?

- What computer spec with the lowest power consumption could run Em8er well?

- Would an ssd drive help than a normal hard drive is that just for the operating system and to help boot time etc?

- Is there any performance improvements with the choice of operating system e.g windows 10, windows 11, windows 7. linux etc?

- How much of an improvement would dlss and fsr help to improve our experience ?

what else do we need to consider?
Something that would help considerably is access to the console. from the console we can pull up almost every metric you can think of, from input latency, to network latency, frame time, gpu buffering etc. We could put those specs into an excel sheet (or google sheet) and create graphs based on hardware. Pretty much create an entire profile worksheet for different combinations of hardware.

They used a shipping build for the UE5 demo, which disables the console by default, a Development build would be larger, but would give access to the console, its up to the dev team.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Something that would help considerably is access to the console. from the console we can pull up almost every metric you can think of, from input latency, to network latency, frame time, gpu buffering etc. We could put those specs into an excel sheet (or google sheet) and create graphs based on hardware. Pretty much create an entire profile worksheet for different combinations of hardware.

They used a shipping build for the UE5 demo, which disables the console by default, a Development build would be larger, but would give access to the console, its up to the dev team.
I wonder if this was done for security reason to disable the console.

It would be nice to have an option where you can either tick the option listed such as choose to optain full metric.

Second one, choose necessary metric for gaming, and a copy button to txt file to keep a copy for yourself, that could even be posted in forum or sent to dev's directly too.

Status
Not open for further replies.