New Concepts, Alpha Prime, Aesthetics and old Aero

I was already thrilled to hear Aero's original, cute accent in that brief still-image trailer.

I also gather from that single image that the look of the game will be slightly different to that of FF, but still very much reminiscent of it. Which is good. I read complaints about the character models in FF, particularly the females ones, looking awful, which is not my experience.

Aesthetics matter a heck of a lot to me and was actually quite satisfied with the character creation, design and customization. What I found annoying, was the lack of ability (without an add-on or other stuff) for the player to preview cosmetic items that were on the market. And the RedBean store certainly didn't have all the available items, many of which were only listed on the market, but were missing from the store. That's one thing they need to change, so players can see all the customization option available and know exactly what they pay for, whether it'll be through in-game converted currency and especially if it'll be through real money.

Related to this, is another small thing in the game that bugged me and that was the avatars of NPCs, which looked awesome and unique (and in case of female characters, hot), but I was disappointed that their in-game models were different and sometimes didn't really look like the avatars, at all. I realize that in the greater scheme of things this is an infinitesimal quibble, but it adds to the immersion and feel of the game.

It was interesting to read about the original and intended story ark. The post itself gave me the impression that Red5 took more deliberation with the source-material than they should have and have departed from it, much to the detriment of the game. For a while, I did not even realize the game had an actual plot. Speaking of which, since FireFall, failing as it is, at the moment, already established the locations for the game, on Earth. I think it would be more interesting, given the slightly different look of Ember to have a separate story for it. The location for it, could be the maiden voyage's original destination, Alpha Prime. As I understand the story. The Melding could've affected that world (which would be similar to Earth), as well. And while the majority of the Accord and other other organizations and corporations from FF, and all the rest of humanity is busy taking back Earth, a slightly different narrative could be playing out elsewhere in the galaxy, on Alpha Prime, with a slightly different Accord, stranded with the portion of humanity, separated into factions, similarly to FF.

If the two Accords would ever make contact with each other, the ones back on Earth could go "Wow, their Thumpers are walking mechs!" as a sort of joke and reference to the old FF, and the relation to its spiritual successor.

Nakiato

Jul 26, 2016
Then, why does it look so similar, and why have Aero's voice in the trailer, then? It is misleading.
It's a spiritual successor. The reason Kern got the same voice actress is actually because on Twitter she publicaly admitted to how she had been trying to get a hold of R5 for months with no updates. Kern saw the post and started talking to her. They built a good relationship and now he hired her for voice work.

It's a spiritual successor. The reason Kern got the same voice actress is actually because on Twitter she publicaly admitted to how she had been trying to get a hold of R5 for months with no updates. Kern saw the post and started talking to her. They built a good relationship and now he hired her for voice work.
Oh, that's nice. I love her voice. Which is why I panicked, when, after 1,5 years away, I got back to Devil's Tusk and heard the place-holder voice-over, who wasn't bad, but it wasn't the original.

But, it shouldn't be a different universe. It shouldn't do a full-reset, as it were, just because Firefall went the wrong direction. Why not just have a shared origin story that forks to FF and Ember, especially if it even looks so similar. And it wouldn't or shouldn't cancel out Red5's Firefall, as if it never happened (although some might strongly prefer that).

It's quite a bit disappointing that it needs an entirely new universe.

However, if it'll have the same combat that Firefall had from the start, it will be good. I just hope that, it being based on a table-top RPG, that it won't play like WoW and turn-based, dice-rolling RPGs, like Neverwinter and whatever, because THAT (the standard that games like WoW set and one that sadly many developers always want to go back to and imitate) is not a good system.

That is what I instantly loved about Firefall (apart from the sci-fi setting) and games like Defiance and T.E.R.A., that they dared to depart from WoW-like elements. The combat, in particular is actually player-reflex based and as long as Ember keeps to such a system it could be a worthy game and successful spiritual successor.

Although, I recently experienced, with Act of Agression (a supposed spiritual successor to Act of War and it's expansion, one of the best RTS I've ever played) how spiritual successors, made by presumably the same set of developers, by the same company, can royally mess a successor up.

I just hope they keep what made Firefall good and bring it over to Ember. Even if what is "good" is entirely subjective.

It will be definitive a new universe. And its not BASED on Crixa but PLAYS in the crixa universe. And FF will stay alive in hidden eastereggs in ember xD

Also nice to see some1 from the RTS genre too (if im not mistaken). It's kinda underestimated and underloved :O (i played the hell out of the old Battle For Middle-earth games from EA and played even the mod of the Addon for the 2nd part of its (BFME 2: Rise of teh Withking/ROTW) called the Edain mod. I think BFME is the only EA game series that can be modded freely, and i think its mainly cause they lost the license for teh LOTR IP xDDDDD they are also unable to sell teh game, so pirating it is pretty leggit xD)

Last edited:

Nakiato

Jul 26, 2016
A spiritual successor is actually a "successor" that has no connections with the original except the style or people working on it. Kinda like how Allison Road was going to be a spiritual successor for PT. Allison Road wasn't being made by Konami.

The reason it's a spiritual successor is because The9 who owns Firefall, refuses to sell the IP (name and likeness) to anyone. So it has to be a new universe in order to not get sued.

It will be definitive a new universe. And its not BASED on Crixa but PLAYS in the crixa universe. And FF will stay alive in hidden eastereggs in ember xD

Also nice to see some1 from the RTS genre too (if im not mistaken). It's kinda underestimated and underloved :O (i played the hell out of the old Battle For Middle-earth games from EA and played even the mod of the Addon for the 2nd part of its (BFME 2: Rise of teh Withking/ROTW)
I used to dislike RTS, because I would always see a cinematic that looked awesome, but then see the game from an angled view and ugh. The first RTS I saw was...uh..Age of Empires II, I think...but the 1st I ever played was Red Alert 2. I love the C&C series. Played it all. A LOT. I want to pretend C&C 4 never happened, though. EA also seems to have a tendency to mangle series.

Keeping Aero's voice-actress is already a good nod to FF. Just hope it'll play similarly.

I do actually like a lot of the elements that many seem to disapprove of, like the tinkering and elite ranks. They just need balance and something, some counter-measure, should definitely be implemented against players who use some kind of exploit, mod or hack-ware to just AFK-around and gain XP without even doing anything to get to ridiculous ranks. We could propose some cap, but a lot of players, who got time on their hands and who probably play for days straight, without even sleeping, will continue to hold the advantage over those players who actually have e.g.: a job, if not necessarily a social-life, outside the internet.

A spiritual successor is actually a "successor" that has no connections with the original except the style or people working on it. Kinda like how Allison Road was going to be a spiritual successor for PT. Allison Road wasn't being made by Konami.

The reason it's a spiritual successor is because The9 who owns Firefall, refuses to sell the IP (name and likeness) to anyone. So it has to be a new universe in order to not get sued.
Yeah. Heard about that. Well, this "The9" group have some nerve.