Nerdy Question

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
In SWTOR, if you jump while on an elevator platform going down, you fall to your death. IRL, however, jumping on an elevator obviously does not do that. There is a reason for the disparity: politics. Sort of.

According to Newton's laws of motion, every object on Earth falls at the exact same acceleration, 9.8 m/s/s. So, for instance, if something is falling to Earth at 10 m/s, in 1 second it will move at 19.8 m/s, and so on (I think. I failed high school physics, but the gist is accurate.) Therefore, if an elevator is going down at, say, 10 m/s/ and you jump up, it will take you a bit longer to touch the "ground" than it would if you were standing on solid ground.

There is a problem with this, however: Newton is flat-out wrong. Well, okay, not really. The basic premise is sort of solid, but there is a little something called Einstein's Theory of Relativity. You may have heard of it, but probably don't know what it is. The gist of it is that if you jump while in an elevator going down, it will actually take you the same amount of time to reach the floor as if you were on solid ground, because your jump movement is relative to the elevator, not the ground. Even if you were to jump while the elevator was stationary, and were still in midair when it started going down, it would still take you the same amount of time. There are other examples, but I don't care to go into them. Look them up if you like. Yet despite this, for some reason those in power like to believe in Newton's laws while rejecting Einstein's (hence SWTOR's and other games' newtonian-based physics engine). Like I said, politics. But I digress.

My question is this: Will Em8ER's physics be based on Newton or Einstein?

Skube

Firstclaimer
Hypedration
Jul 26, 2016
www.youtube.com
I don't think it matters lol, this is a video game what ever physics they'll code in will be the laws of the game.

There's no point in having realistic physics as you are piloting Giant Robots that are also Agile and fighting All kinds of Kaiju from Human to Godzilla sized all which are not possible with real world laws of physics.

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
Daggerfall is a good example of elevators in games. Saving on an elevator and reloading will result in the elevator platform probably not being in the same place. Allowing a platform to drop on you may allow you to phase completely through the platform, defying the laws of physics, but it also could send you to the Void where there is little hope of escape and a high chance of ancient liches coming to obliterate you.

In short, elevators are unreliable at best, and evil at most. Petition for no elevators in Em-8ER.

bengal

Death Reaper
Jul 27, 2016
In SWTOR, if you jump while on an elevator platform going down, you fall to your death. IRL, however, jumping on an elevator obviously does not do that. There is a reason for the disparity: politics. Sort of.

According to Newton's laws of motion, every object on Earth falls at the exact same acceleration, 9.8 m/s/s. So, for instance, if something is falling to Earth at 10 m/s, in 1 second it will move at 19.8 m/s, and so on (I think. I failed high school physics, but the gist is accurate.) Therefore, if an elevator is going down at, say, 10 m/s/ and you jump up, it will take you a bit longer to touch the "ground" than it would if you were standing on solid ground.

There is a problem with this, however: Newton is flat-out wrong. Well, okay, not really. The basic premise is sort of solid, but there is a little something called Einstein's Theory of Relativity. You may have heard of it, but probably don't know what it is. The gist of it is that if you jump while in an elevator going down, it will actually take you the same amount of time to reach the floor as if you were on solid ground, because your jump movement is relative to the elevator, not the ground. Even if you were to jump while the elevator was stationary, and were still in midair when it started going down, it would still take you the same amount of time. There are other examples, but I don't care to go into them. Look them up if you like. Yet despite this, for some reason those in power like to believe in Newton's laws while rejecting Einstein's (hence SWTOR's and other games' newtonian-based physics engine). Like I said, politics. But I digress.

My question is this: Will Em8ER's physics be based on Newton or Einstein?

Newton has no jurisdiction in video games though

Just saying

Aug 14, 2016
Although having some physics in the game would be nice to have because they work better with some of the things I want to do.
  1. Pick up and throw objects at enemies. (rocks, trees, throwing weapons like spears / javelins, and so on.)
  2. Picking up and throwing smaller or light mass enemies.
  3. Picking up and throwing friends as a combo ability. (Think how Colossus will sometimes pick throws Wolverine at enemies so he can close the gap faster and do more damage if it lands a hit while moving at that speed.)
  4. Using weapons with a lot of kinetic energy that can push enemies and object around. (Use a massive back mounted cannon that when I fire it I get pushed backwards a bit, if I'm not anchored to the ground, and if I hit an enemy with round itself it picks them up sends them flying too. Think like how in movies when people get shot they fly backwards, but only more realistically in this case.)
  5. When fighting in cave or some place where there are things overhead, I want to be able to fire at stuff and make them fall on enemies to crush them.