My thoughts on Mounts

Yuhaku

Deepscanner
Sep 3, 2018
Firstly I will say I wouldn't mind it if we were able to collectively pull resources into animal taming so that we could use a select few of the wild life at the upper end of winning the war as battle ready pets which can help players who may want to go solo.

1. Mounts initially had me forget what the game is about, had to check the site again to be reminded it's mech vs kaiju (war simulator I recall from art demo). I have read a couple others voice their dislike for the idea but although I'm not a fan of it I can see the appeal & eventual cash shop of mounts helping fund the game, which is good!
2. Mounts will clearly be either immortal or have no downside to being killed effectively making it a bad idea to not have a mount as you can die & lose a fair bit of resources with virtually everything else we use. Mounts will be used in a way that reduces the challenge of the game drastically.
3. Mounts as pets while in omniframe. I think it starts to devalue vehicles due to being out at the same time. I mean will we have to have a tether to carry our tank along? what about our air ship that we can use to fight? imagine losing resources as a heavy because your tank behind you was destroyed faster than you could do anything.
4. Mounts, to me, starts to give the vibe of a completely different game that isn't a "war simulator." I think we need a more in depth understanding of what EM8ER is/will become because I'm becoming confused & concerned that there will be many broken promises unless EM8ER is the next best thing when I thought this was just a game for the fans of FireFall.

I don't hate the idea, nor that they will be apart of the game. They just feel a little off. I was expecting to see more info on vehicles before anything like mounts, maybe even find out if vehicles will have abilities too.
Thank you for your time.

Sep 2, 2017
I don´t think this thing of mounts fits on this game, at least for me, I probably would not be here if mounts were part of the initial descripton of this project, also, I see it as a dangerous deviation from the initial idea, that could lead to a unwanted behaviour pattern, like stating something then change it and then change again, and again....

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I like vehicles especially motorbike but also like those transport with more carrying capacity.

Pets can be specialized some have good sense of sight or smell for detection, others can carry more load etc.

-vehicle/mounts

Could we upgrade certain things on them or teach it to do a specific thing within their skill tree.
Perhaps they have their own slots for specialization meaning the transport/pet can help you and act as a transport too.

I dont see the issue here just alternatives why couldn't a pet be a vehicle or a mountable there could be a collection of vehicle types as well as mountable's that could be interesting for which ever your after.

Jan 26, 2017
Portugal
I don´t think this thing of mounts fits on this game, at least for me, I probably would not be here if mounts were part of the initial descripton of this project, also, I see it as a dangerous deviation from the initial idea, that could lead to a unwanted behaviour pattern, like stating something then change it and then change again, and again....
This is a very valid concern that I'm also worried about, and it's not like it hasn't happened before...

VRK9

Sep 15, 2017
Portugal
I liked the idea of mounts and pets features, and as i said in another topic, that if we are in a syfy world that doesn't meant that everything should be robotic and futuristic and put away all natural and cheapier solutions, that doesn't make sense in a realistic view (and that's why we are having a lot of problems with climatic changes).

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
Firstly I will say I wouldn't mind it if we were able to collectively pull resources into animal taming so that we could use a select few of the wild life at the upper end of winning the war as battle ready pets which can help players who may want to go solo.
I like this idea of pet taming and if introduced I believe pet taming should not use the standard mined resources on Em.8ER. IMO something like this should be a mini-game of sorts where you're using wildlife/plant based items for it (raw/prepared parts from other wildlife/plants). Battle ready? i don't know. Functions other than cosmetic? Pick up loot/resources nearby for the player sounds like a good one to me.

1., 4., and ending statement
I understand that some peeps will not like this as they will consider it immersion breaking and not initially announced. Immersion concern: the wildlife mount being used can move around a zone not yet terraformed without issue or explanation other than "video game". Fix: perhaps add some cosmetic changes to the mount depending on terraformed level of the zone? Not initially announced concern: you're going to be concerned through the entire development of Em.8ER. Fix: none really. We're watching the game develop from an extremely early point than is normal for a game's community mostly due to funding reasons. We're being allowed to see, and give feedback, on any number of development ideas for Em.8ER along the way to launch which is very unusual for any game. Giving that feedback, as you are now, is very helpful to the Dev Team. Thank you for doing so! Funding concern: The Wyntyr Wolf mount (see what I did there) is basically a cosmetic change that allows further use of a system the Dev Team has to code already (bikes). I believe it's a good use of resources (time/money) and marketing (folks who aren't keen on mech/kaiju only art assets) to pull in those on the fence more so than those who just plain don't care for that genre.

Mounts are confirmed to be another movement option other than walking/running/gliding/jump jets/etc. with combat functionality(s) being hinted at. Pets are confirmed to be cosmetic only with other functionality(s) being a possibility. IMO these points seem a bit premature at this time as there are no actual pets or mounts in the game builds and the Dev Team hasn't put out anything more specific than the above.

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
This is the exact reason I don't think they should have started selling them so early :/
Interesting. Is there anything else you don't believe Crixa should be selling at this time? Also, when do you believe it would be acceptable for the Dev Team to begin selling mounts (and/or anything else)?

Jan 26, 2017
Portugal
Interesting. Is there anything else you don't believe Crixa should be selling at this time? Also, when do you believe it would be acceptable for the Dev Team to begin selling mounts (and/or anything else)?
This is all personal, mind you, but IMO selling cosmetics, mounts, etc, is all meaningless if the game they're supposed to feature in doesn't exist yet. Nothing guarantees that Em8ER will be funded at the kickstarter (and trust me, I really want it to succeed) and then all the cosmetics the subs paid for were for naught. Of course, this is always a concern when it comes to crowdfunded games, but the indiegogo packs had access to the dev builds, they had 3d printer files, they had other types of actually tangible rewards (which is why I contributed).

What I would like to see as a reward for the subscription is perhaps a weekly devlog (even if there isn't much to show, I would be extremely interested in seeing progress, even if all that was done was tweaking an animation) or some sort of inside look at the developers' side. I loved the videos Grummz would post regularly and I wouldn't mind if they were behind the subscription paywall.

I just want more tangible rewards because as it stands, cosmetics mean nothing because the game doesn't exist (yet).

Last edited:

Harven

Commander
Jul 28, 2016
I havent read all the comments just the main one so Im sorry. But now that we are on this topic Id like to give my opinion on mounta. Its very simple actually

i am glad of the implementation of mounts. a little bit of a connection with nature is always appreciated, specially when it is mixed with technology. For some reason it creates a big satisfaction to many of us. Living animals being ridden just adds to that fantasy element Firefallused to have, mixed with technology.

I dont know why I appreciated so much the Mammoths and the Dinos of Firefall were scarce but they always gave a beautiful feeling inside me. Exploring firefall was always enjoyable. No matter how many times I visited the same areas, every other open world of anyother game I play quickly gets boring, but never with firefall.

Soyes, Im in love with the idea of mounts. I hope is done nicely. Too much tech can get tiring, and I do think organic mounts (lol) can bring a little bit of difersity and cool looking aesthethics if done properly

Marakurt

Forerunner
Feb 7, 2019
I believe riding animals are not needed here at all! Motorcycles in full will blow enough !!! This is a technogenic game of future technologies in the harsh world of Em8ER. Here you can introduce small pets that will blow bonuses, as an example there was a parrot in my Firefall (he gave a bonus to increase damage in the area and I still don’t remember any)

Marakurt

Forerunner
Feb 7, 2019
I believe riding animals are not needed here at all! Motorcycles in full will blow enough !!! This is a technogenic game of future technologies in the harsh world of Em8ER. Here you can introduce small pets that will blow bonuses, as an example there was a parrot in my Firefall (he gave a bonus to increase damage in the area and I still don’t remember any)
Снимок.JPG

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
To mount or not to mount that is the question?

Well lets have the mounts and the techy stuff tada done everyone is happy i am happy you happy happy happy ??? Happy :p

IMO selling cosmetics, mounts, etc, is all meaningless if the game they're supposed to feature in doesn't exist yet.
Hmm i guess but they wouldn't just go hey lets add this mount skin and not make it, must be in the to do list under other things to do before first things to do!

The Wyntyr Wolf mount (see what I did there) is basically a cosmetic change that allows further use of a system the Dev Team has to code already (bikes)
I think this would be a system with great variety, when could we see this in action i hope sometime this year?

Aug 14, 2016
MY WORRIES IS PEOPLE GONNA B*TCH SO HARD THAT THEY WANT COMBAT MOUNTS
WHILE OUR BADASS BIKES AIN'T GETTING A SINGLE GUN ON IT!
Just add anchor points to vehicles let payers have the ability attach and detach weapons to them that they can use while riding on it. Larger vehicles can have more anchor points based on how much it is able to safely carry.

With that in mind. Please let make attach as long spear-like weapon my bike so I can ram enemies at full speed to see how many of them I can skewers at once.

Jan 26, 2017
Portugal
Hmm i guess but they wouldn't just go hey lets add this mount skin and not make it,
If the game isn't funded, that's exactly what would happen.

Hundreds of games are put up on Kickstarter and only a small fraction make it to full funding.
And even the ones that make it to funding aren't guaranteed to be anything like what was promised (Mighty No. 9)
Am I saying that's what's gonna happen to Em8ER? No. Do I WANT Em8ER to fail? Absolutely not. I bought a pack myself, I want this game to succeed.
What I'm saying is that there's absolutely no guarantee Em8ER will make it past the Kickstarter, and as such it's too early to sell things that will not be tangible until the full release of the game

I'm not gonna pay 7,50$ a month (especially since I'm between jobs and education right now) for a subscription service that gives me nothing -right now-. I already paid for a pack on the Indiegogo campaign in good faith, and I even subbed for December and January during the 1$ promo.
I don't condemn anyone who does buy the sub, your money your choice, and I thank you for supporting Em8ER (hyped to see that Heavy Frame), but it's not something I'm comfortable doing myself. I've seen too many horror stories to blindly give a game too much money.

Again, I'm not doubting Grummz and the team, and if any of you read this, I congratulate you on your success and I hope it continues to grow. All I've said applies to me, personally.

Last edited:

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Just add anchor points to vehicles let payers have the ability attach and detach weapons to them that they can use while riding on it. Larger vehicles can have more anchor points based on how much it is able to safely carry.

With that in mind. Please let make attach as long spear-like weapon my bike so I can ram enemies at full speed to see how many of them I can skewers at once.
I am sorry guys, I really am but...

PREPARE FOR RAMMING SPEED!!!

...Also insert spear length jokes here