My idea for Fishing in Em8er

DHYohko

Ark Liege
Nov 6, 2018
This is based on the little bit that i've seen of FF XIV fishing and some of Marks thoughts on the matter, Long-ish post incoming.

General
Fishing is done by a players character (not a mech) and grants unique currencies/ materials/ rewards.

To get started players head to a Town on the shore, this allows them to build a Fishermans Tavern instead of a normal Tavern.

Inside there is a special fishing counter were the fishing npc is located. He handles the fishing event as well as being the seller/exchanger for the fishing rewards.

Rewards
The rewards are special materials that are needed for certain research nodes but the main rewards are beach themed outfits for the pilots, these are large in variety from 1-piece swimsuits and bermuda shorts to bikinis, hawaian shirts, sunglases, pareos, hats, Scuba Suits, etc. The important part of these outfits is that only the CORE version of the outfits is available to purchace/exchange. To upgrade it players must participate in more challenging fishing expeditions with the Peerless version needed numerous successful trips to Stormy Open oceans. These outfits come with unique meshes and/or colors to make them worth collecting.

Mechanics
This is something that Mark and the team need to decide but something that should definitely be included is player cooperation.

Following FF XIV at certain times during the day a ship leaves port to take players to the fishing event locations (probably instanced).

There are 4 types of zones and conditions:
Shallows, Reef, Open Ocean, Deep Ocean
and
Calm, Normal (need a better word), rough, stormy (only available in open ocean)

Zones are divided by easiest to hardest with conditions determining what special fish can be caught, the rougher the more valuable/rare the fish that can be caught but the more difficult it is. [ it might also be possible to float around on inflatables and boards in the Shallows and Reef areas for relaxing and rpíng. ]

In order to participate players must gather at the port at the allotted time to board the ship (a daily time table is posted inside the tavern), the time window is small so players must pay attention to not miss it.

Once on board players get a mini in-game cutscene that introduces them to one of the four unique captains, who it is depends on the zone that the boat is headed to. These captains will be wearing one of the many outfits that can be acquired from fishing. They will also talk and quip during the trip giving hints to players as to what fish are abundant, what lures to use, and what side of the boat they are at.

As players start fishing in the open ocean fish start getting really big and require multiple players to reel in. This maxes out in a raid style monster that requires the entire boat of players to coordinate there efforts in order to reel in the monster fish. All players that help in this massive endeavor are rewarded with the player that hooked the beast getting a little bit more.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I like the idea of the big fish what about on unstable surfaces such as a patch of ice and you have to stay on it as it wobbles!

What about fishing for fire fish they are usually found near the outskirts of ice fire island to get those fish you need to use freeze traps and time that right to reel them. Then put them in the special container before it flops all over the ice platform otherwise the platform gets smaller and then it could be over :eek:

I'd also like a drone fish where you can customise your drone fish to be female and spy on selected fish this could give you a good idea where to plan your next deep underwater fish mission.

P

punkbuzter#6186

I don't like fishing in MMO's, it works in singeplayer games.
In my experience a 3rd of the server population just AFK's for easy money that later cripples the playerdriven market. Not to mention people using MultiClient to cheat the system.
Why are you even AFK-farming instead of playing the game, i don't get it.

If fishing is to be a thing in Em8er I truely hope that fishing will be completely disconnected from the rest of the market, like its own little bubble that doesn't affect the rest of the game or its market.
just the mere introduction of fishing regardless of implementation opens up the door in a hundred different ways that fishing could turn into something bad or being abused.

But, your idea is not bad and could prevent a lot of abuse.

The whole fishing thing seems to be trendy. Nier Automata had it. Warframe has spear-fishing. Haven't played any Final Fantasies, but there you go. It's a nice little pass-time, and also it can be used for socializing AND it can be spiced up with different methods for fishing. Use high-tech, or go traditional. How each style would look and feel could give it some novelty, aside from its recreational effect.

I don't like fishing in MMO's, it works in singeplayer games.
In my experience a 3rd of the server population just AFK's for easy money that later cripples the playerdriven market. Not to mention people using MultiClient to cheat the system.
Why are you even AFK-farming instead of playing the game, i don't get it.

If fishing is to be a thing in Em8er I truely hope that fishing will be completely disconnected from the rest of the market, like its own little bubble that doesn't affect the rest of the game or its market.
just the mere introduction of fishing regardless of implementation opens up the door in a hundred different ways that fishing could turn into something bad or being abused.

But, your idea is not bad and could prevent a lot of abuse.
Yep, it shouldn't affect anything else. Perhaps you could eat your catch for some minor boost, like the pre-mission feast in Monster Hunter World. Or trade your fish for really minor CE or the commonest of scrap and spare parts. But, nothing that could really be exploited and could unbalance a market.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I did dislike fishing especially at night in warframe, however i loved the fishing constest in neverwinter in the winter event.

Sometimes these skeletons would appear and try to attack you stopping you from fishing which was a pain but it didnt do it all the time so if there were those who went afk well they would be bye bye :eek::D and respawn back at the starting point

Aug 14, 2016
I'm saying this while on break so I don't have much time. But if we are going to deep water fishing on an alien planet we can use some fish and other lifeforms from myths to get ideas for rare and/or legendary catches.

For example. Thanks to games like Final Fantasy and the like, most people know Bahamut as being a large power dragon. And this is true, in some real life myths Bahamut is a large dragon. But did you know that in another culture that also existed at the time they seen Bahamut as giant fish? That is right, going by who you asked the mythical Bahamut can be ether a giant dragon or a giant fish.

Because I'm short on time I'll just copy what the wiki says.

, Bahamoot (/bəˈhɑːmuːt/ bə-HAH-moot; Arabic: بهموت‎ Bahamūt, from Hebrew בְּהֵמוֹת "Behemoth") is a sea monster (gigantic fish, whale or sea serpent) that lies deep below, underpinning the support structure that holds up the earth, according to Zakariya al-Qazwini.
In this conception of the world, the earth is shouldered by an angel, who stands on a slab of gemstone, which is supported by the cosmic beast (ox) sometimes called Kuyutha'(/Kuyuthan)/Kiyuban/Kibuthan (most likely from a corruption or misrendering of Hebrew לִוְיָתָן "Leviathan"). The fish/whale Bahamut carries this bull on its back, and is suspended in water for its own stability.
Balhūt is a variant name found in some cosmographies. In the earliest sources, the name is Lutīyā, with Balhūt given as a byname and Bahamūt as a nickname.

P

punkbuzter#6186

I did dislike fishing especially at night in warframe, however i loved the fishing constest in neverwinter in the winter event.

Sometimes these skeletons would appear and try to attack you stopping you from fishing which was a pain but it didnt do it all the time so if there were those who went afk well they would be bye bye :eek::D and respawn back at the starting point
I like that idea, doesn't need to be much but at least something to keep players from AFK farming.

Aug 14, 2016
What if different "classes" was better at different styles of fishing? For example, snipers would be better at spotting fish from far away and so would use long range powerful spear guns and ship mounted harpoon guns to snip at the fish. If tanks have something like an energy shield that do something like bubble netting. Things like that. Have it so the the different abilities of the player characters can have an effect on the fishing itself.

For example in the game Mabinogi there are combat skills and abilities as well as life skills and abilities. But here is the thing related abilities can an well effect each other to make the other better. For example when leveling up blacksmithing or weaving you also gain Dexterity.

Your ability to work. The more Dexterity you have, the faster and better you can create items and the more bonuses you gain from Dexterity-dependent skills.
Dexterity (DEX) affects most ranged combat skills and many Life skills.

• Dexterity (Dex) affects the Damage of Bows, Crossbows, Control Bars, and Chain Blades. It also increases Balance and Injury Rates, Armor Pierce, the Success Rates of certain Life Skills and the damage of Mirage Missile's Mirage status effect.
  • Every 2.5 Dex adds +1 to Maximum Archery Damage; 3.5 Dex adds +1 to Minimum Archery Damage.
  • Every 3.5 Dex adds +1 to Maximum Control Bar Damage; +5 Dex adds +1 to Minimum Control Bar Damage.
  • Every 2.5 Dex adds +1 to Maximum Chain Slash Damage; 3.5 Dex adds +1 to Minimum Chain Slash Damage.
In other words by learning and training non-combat abilities you passively gain better control over some of your combat abilities. This also works the other way around too. But getting better as some combat abilities you also became better at related non-combat abilities.

Now, I am not saying that we need a level system nor a class system in Em-8er. But that passives our pilots have and the gear we have should have an effect on our ability to fish for things. Like medic frames would have sensors more in tuned to picking out things like life signs for when they do things like search and rescue. So even if the snipers can see the fish from farther away the medics be better able to scan all the fish at closer range highlighting the whole school of fish for everyone else.

P.S.
For people who don't know what bubble netting is.

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
What if different "classes" was better at different styles of fishing? For example, snipers would be better at spotting fish from far away and so would use long range powerful spear guns and ship mounted harpoon guns to snip at the fish. If tanks have something like an energy shield that do something like bubble netting. Things like that. Have it so the the different abilities of the player characters can have an effect on the fishing itself.
The question then becomes if i wanted to use a different skill say the tank one i'd have to swap to the tank or would the abilities for fishing be interchangable ?

I guess if we had the abilities just for the frames it would lock us to that frame and make them unique. Lets for a moment say the abilities could be swapped would this be restricted to all abilities or are there going to be universal abilities that could be ok for all frames and specific abilities just for specific frames?

In other words by learning and training non-combat abilities you passively gain better control over some of your combat abilities. This also works the other way around too. But getting better as some combat abilities you also became better at related non-combat abilities.
Interesting, lets say i am poop at a skill and did not want to do that training could there be alternative training that could affect the same abilities etc?

As an example there are a few training
A) Collecting Alien potatoes underground and making chips for Mekdonalds
B) Fishing for better fishes
C) Dancing and unlocking new dance moves

Out of these 3 they all will give the same gains just different ways if that is the case it could be less boring and provide players with a change.

Also in the example some have specific unlocks like the dancing unlocks new animation dancers or cheers and that the fishing one could unlock fish eye a fish drone bait and that making tops chips gives you Alpha potato rank and discount on items purchased from Mekdonalds

Aug 14, 2016
The way I see it. I don't want our pilots to be helpless when they are not in an omniframe. So In my mind pilots would have some gear that they can using while not in a frame that can still give them scaled down or limited versions of abilities they frames have. For example, snipers having like eye wear or a headset that let's them see better and farther (In real life people are making things like helmets and googles with HUDs built into them. Some of them also have small cameras and scanning lasers in them.) this would help them be effective snipers even outside of the omniframe. Or how the medic could have have bag or backpack full of medical scanners and mixers so they make different drugs on the spot to heal and/or buff friendlies or use them to make deadly poisons. Or at person in tanking omniframe having heavy armor and/or personal shield generator for when they are outside of the frame so they can still tank things. You get the idea.

Plus there is the whole biofeedback system the omniframes use. Meaning any natural skills and abilities the pilot has can be scaled up and made more powerful by the omniframe. Meaning that is the pilot was already good at melee or ranged combat before getting in the omniframe the frame itself will scale up those abilities to match its larger size. Because of that some actions become much faster and/or more powerful. Love it or hate it, but this is one of the ideas that things like Gumdum got right when they use biofeedback systems in some of the gundum models.

And when thinking about the light mass omniframes this is even more the case as they are basically just slightly larger exoskeletons. So their personal abilities and gear have even more of an effect on what they can do. It is like riding a bike vs driving in a car. While in the car what you are wearing and how you are seating doesn't really effect how fast the car goes or how will it turns. But when you are on a bike what you wear and how you sit on it effects everything from the speed to how well you take a turn.

Keeping all of this in mind is how I though up of having the gear and abilities the pilot have being of some use and having an effect on how we could fish. Giving different abilities and loadouts pros and cons for different styles of fishing. Plus given the abilities of what some real life fish and other sea animals can do. It might be a good idea to have different styles of fishing being more effective or less effective when dealing with them. For example, when it comes to fish that hunt in large groups using a spear gun might not be the most effective thing for taking out the group, but at the same time having a powerful spear gun might be the only way to break the armor of a single large powerful fish.

P.s. In real life some fish do have really powerful armor. Like this for example.

This goes into more info about the gar.

P.S.S.
There are many different types of biofeedback systems in real life and we don't need to just one type inside of an omniframe. Yes, you can just have the frame mirror and mimic your body's movements and give you feedback on those movements. But you can also have systems that scans the pilot's brain and give feedback on those thoughts. This is is how some mech pilots control all the weapons on their mech without the need to do things like pull a trigger (it is real handy when you are dealing with weapons mounted onto the mech's body or are inside of the body.).

Going by the Gundam example this is just one of many types of system that can exist. Here is an example of a biofeedback system in Gundam that links to the pilot's brain.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2016
donot add fishing, if ya wanna fish go play a fishing game. This game needs only thumping. thx
Did you forget the old meme from FireFall? Thumping for fish. Because there was an odd bug that let us set thumpers on up of water can get things like oil out of it. Because to the thumper water was solid object, lol.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
donot add fishing, if ya wanna fish go play a fishing game. This game needs only thumping. thx
Underwater fishing with energy nets i like it, we could then go back to the atlantis 2.0 of underwater city.
With underwater thumping yes i think the squids may cause us some problems with their blinding ink and tentacle slapping.

Did you forget the old meme from FireFall? Thumping for fish. Because there was an odd bug that let us set thumpers on up of water can get things like oil out of it. Because to the thumper water was solid object, lol.
Ah did not know that one :D

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
If there could be different ways of fishing this would make it more interesting such as

- Spear fishing (For surface or floating fishes)
- Still fishing (To fishes more deeper various fish type)
- Ice fishing (Drill to make a hole in the ice)
- volcanic fishing (More dangerous with a floating glowy lantern trap as bait, then zap with freeze shots so the trap can lock fish in otherwise trap cannot work because fish is too fast! )
- Fish net (Collecting more fishes or getting a bigger fish)
- Scuba Mek fishing (Deep dive fishing Mek for most extreme fishing progression, using vaccum to suck fish in fish tank and at the same time must avoid being bait because more fish in fish tank could attract bigger threats.)

Aug 14, 2016
Don't forget things like the illegal forms of fishing and how we could have missions to stop people from doing them.

Illegal fishing types.
Blast fishing - using bombs in the water to stun and kill a large number of fish at once.
Drift net fishing - putting large fishing nets on floats and letting it drift around to catch anything swims into it.

There are other types of illegal fishing but you get the point. One of the common things all the different forms of illegal fishing have in common is that catch and kill things that are not even targets of the ones who are fishing and/or do unnecessary damage to the ecosystem.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Don't forget things like the illegal forms of fishing and how we could have missions to stop people from doing them.

Illegal fishing types.
Blast fishing - using bombs in the water to stun and kill a large number of fish at once.
Drift net fishing - putting large fishing nets on floats and letting it drift around to catch anything swims into it.

There are other types of illegal fishing but you get the point. One of the common things all the different forms of illegal fishing have in common is that catch and kill things that are not even targets of the ones who are fishing and/or do unnecessary damage to the ecosystem.
The GCSF is on the case!