My Ember Vision (incl. Pictures)

Hi,

since i really liked Firefall for its original Resource gathering, Crafting and Hero customization gameplay i have high hopes for Ember, here is my input about how i would approach the core gameplay mechanics.

First i want to talk about Resources, i think 4 or maybe 5 different ones should be enough, the interesting part is their rarity. For my design i chose 7 different raritys ranging from common to transcendent, here is how it could be structured:

Each rarity has 100 subsets ranging from 1 - 100, you can check them out by clicking the according number.

That way you basically have 700 shades of rarity for each type of Resource. The following picture shows how rare each resource could be, how much they improve the items base stats and how much additional "customize points" you get during the crafting process, i will explain crafting later.

Next i combined the idea of different battleframe classes and the gear constraints (Mass, Power, CPU). Now you only have one single Character whose role depends on what items you equip, each item has a Tier ranging from T0 to T5. For your 3 main Items (Primary Weapon/Damage, Plating/Defense, JumpJets/Movement) you can spend six Tier points, so you have to decide on which area you want your Hero to shine, here are some example setups:

The max Tier for your secondary weapon is linked to your primary weapons Tier. Higher Tier equipment should have a more advanced/bulky look. Of course you should be able to predefine Equipment sets to change your Loadout/playstyle anytime you want. This is how a T1 Plating could differ to a T4 one:

Besides finding your unique playstyle through Item Tiers, you should be able to customize your gear a lot during the crafting process. So when you craft an item, you get a certain amount of "customize points" to boost the items attributes in a way you like. The amount of customize points depends on the selected Tier, rarity and the resource batches you slotted in.

The customize options should be scaled in a way that maxing one attribute always requires all your available points, doing so having 1000 points available of course has a greater effect then maxing the same stat with only 500 points available.
The following pic shows the crafting of a T.H.M.P.R.. While the Tier and rarity set the Difficulty, Capacity and HP you can customize the type of monsters the THMPR attracts.

Maybe he could also have a Weapon Arm Module slot where you can put in a crafted THMPR weapon to make him help you fight the monsters, it could be some kind of freezing device, electro shocker, flamethrower or just a shield to improve his durability.

Some more key things: your Gear should not break, it breaks the love towards your equipment, there are thousands of ways to create a fun resource sink (thought out research system, resource shop for cosmetics ...). The basic resources should be the only crafting ingredients, adding more stuff like red5 did just blurs out the fun of finding and hunting the rare resources. No marketplace please!! its a long-term-fun destroyer. The UI design should be very minimal and solely focused on the beauty of the resources and the diverse items.

Ok any thoughts on this ?

For completion here are some more light designs i tried:

Matthias

Last edited:

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
For my design i chose 7 different raritys ranging from common to transcendent, here is how it could be structured:
-
Each rarity has 100 subsets ranging from 1 - 100, you can check them out by clicking the according number.
-
That way you basically have 700 hundred shades of rarity for each type of Resource.
I really like a lot of what youre suggesting here. Though I am of the opinion that great variety of builds and deep customization can be achieved without the need for so many resource rarities.

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
I personally want something in the ballpark of 4 or 5 rarities, and a good number of materials.

I miss the 8 or so various crystite hybrid materials we had early on in the CBT.

Not to mention it feels better finding that rare material with that interesting name thats really good for what you need (like conductivity for crafting some part) rather then a higher number.

Also, with more resource types the individual resource types could have different effects on a craft, some can be more conductive, others provide more tensile strength, etc etc.

MuzikFreq

Jul 28, 2016
Not a big fan of general materials having rarity ratings and such since it turns into a forever grind to find the best.
Basic materials imho are best with flat stat progression on the different materials.

ex.
Metal
Gas
Organic
Mineral

-----------
Armor plating
Optics
Servos
ect.

----------
Core Element

I really like a lot of what youre suggesting here. Though I am of the opinion that great variety of builds and deep customization can be achieved without the need for so many resource rarities.
I think he doesn't mean with the "700 resource rarities" 700 separate rarities but 7 rarities with each 100 qualities. I think also to "stack" it, meaning you can craft a top rarity weapon out of the lowest quality and some higher quality (like 90% 1-10 and 10% 15-50) and it would scale up the quality of the crafted item the higher all the resources are.

thanks, personally i liked the 1000 qualitys in the original firefall but yes i agree i think even with just 7 raritys without subsets a deep crafting system could be possible

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
big numbers... why do we always fall in that particulat pitfall? what do you need the last decimal for? what can 100 qualities do that 10 can't besides clutter inventories?

edit couse i missed 35% of the op, man use spoilers, it's hard to read the way it is

MuzikFreq

Jul 28, 2016
big numbers... why do we always fall in that particulat pitfall? what do you need the last decimal for? what can 100 qualities do that 10 can't besides clutter inventories?

edit couse i missed 35% of the op, man use spoilers, it's hard to read the way it is
Allows those who like to play with number play with them... I can but don't want to. I'm lazy and like WoW's meterials and crafting system. Simple and straight forward. None of that "Need to get max level of said mineral or my gear aint perfect"

Fryepod

Jul 26, 2016
Hudson Valley, NY
Love it, pretty much what i imagine i'd want me resources/inventory to operate.
The concepts of it being put into practice though, i kind of have to agree with the above. Big numbers scare me because they always get bigger haha.
Number inflation is never good. Like the current Firefall. xD

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I would prefer to get rid of ALL rarities, after all carbon is carbon and titanium is titanium etc. What is really being talked about is purity of a material, which is related to the refining process *not* with what is pulled out of the ground. Levels and rarities are really mostly useful for vertical progression anyways, which I really do not want to see any of in Ember. Still gonna have to stick with 1 frame, 1 weapon and use modules to alter effects. (modules for abilities to change their effects too? hmmm)

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
Allows those who like to play with number play with them... I can but don't want to. I'm lazy and like WoW's meterials and crafting system. Simple and straight forward. None of that "Need to get max level of said mineral or my gear aint perfect"
over his proposed sistem being able to tweak the last decimal allows changes of the order of the 1%-0.1% if i understood the charts right, no one need THAT level of fine control, at that point is just clutter.

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
over his proposed sistem being able to tweak the last decimal allows changes of the order of the 1%-0.1% if i understood the charts right, no one need THAT level of fine control, at that point is just clutter.
You do make a fine point.
Any change would have to be large enough to notice it when playing the game (thus give you an incentive to reach it) but not give you some OP item/gear/ability/plum smuggler shorts.