My drill will pierce the heavens

Aug 14, 2016
I was thinking about different types of drills because of some work I'm doing. And thought, "What if we could change out the drills on the thumpers to do different things?" This is because different types of drills are better at different things. Like a wide shallow drill for quickly doing surface mining in a wide area, or a long bendable tube drill (like oilrigs) able to mine many different spots without moving, or using a sonic drill to easily break hard ground and rocks (personally I'll use a sonic drill over a laser just in case there things like gas pockets in the ground.). Because this is a sci-fi game we could go crazy with the different types of drills. I mean hell, you can just at some of the types of drill NASA uses and scale them up. lol

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
1626187065000.jpeg

Some say that to drill should go right a head
1626186550746.jpeg

They said speed was imperative with 2 drills are better than 1
1626186595594.jpeg

- Strategic key hole drilling with small drill and bot to navigate and see if it is worth to use the big drill
- Big drill big hole big rewards big chaos
- Drill speed faster or slower could this effect preserving certain resources going slower or faster
- Laser drill nice beam can see in the dark holes!
https://monroeengineering.com/blog/what-is-laser-drilling/

- Reaper Prototype 1 drills some could be found buried with good resources and others not working to salvage parts from them.
1626188640976.jpeg

- Bore drilling horizontal reveal tunnels make tunnels, escape tunnels! find things underneath!
1626190390884.gif

Aug 14, 2016
The ancient drill idea is good. What if we could find things like old space probes and drills that was thought lost or destroyed a long time ago. And Em-8er is an ice planet so there might be heat heat drills on it with drones inside of them for looking under the ice. Again given this is a sci-fi game we can size up some of the idea NASA and have the drills be large enough to hold people and small mechs.

Note that in one of the idea for the ice is that inside the drill itself would be an UAV (submarine done) so that when the drill gets to the other side of the ice if there is enough water there the head of the drill will open up and the UVA would swim out and explore the waters.

Meaning that besides finding old drills we could also find old drones and vehicles. Besides the idea of them having or finding resources for us. They could also be upgrades to our mechs or have little person light vehicle options for the humans when we are not in our omniframes. Sure the technology might be old next to the omniframes and stuff, but that doesn't mean they are not still useful and powerful. After all, deep space probes are built to last and tend to be engineered with backup systems and like. If one of the old systems had an A.I. core then maybe it could tell us more about the things it seen on the planet and how thing was before we showed up. It could even be part of some mission to help the A.I. get somewhere it couldn't get to before do to damage or help it find it's partner A.I. that went missing some time ago after something like an earthquake or powerful storm.

P.s.
The A.I. thing is something that NASA is working on. Giving landers, drones, and probes A.I. with give them ability to act quickly on their own to avoid danger and gather information and/or samples without the need of having to wait from orders from the NASA team do to the long lag time between planets. Even at the speed of light there is long lag time when given and getting info between planets. Although if we can find out how things like quantum entanglement really works and if it works in the way that we think it might work, then lag time would be a think of past as you could talk to people real time on the other side of the universe with no lag.

Last edited:

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
These are all good ideas to me. Customizing the way the THMPR behaves will add variety and make encounters even more fun. Joining another player THMPR event, you'll be surprised by their tricked out pal and get resources you didn't ever dare dream about finding with yours.