Moral compass about “conquering” new worlds!

VRK9

Sep 15, 2017
Portugal
This thread is all about my own opinions, so everyone is invited to share your thoughts, and please keep it civil. I would love to hear the devs opinions, especially Mr. Grummz.
I just apologize in advance because English is not my native language and I used google translator to help me with some words and expressions. Wall of text incoming…

Real Life and conspiracy theories:
In real life, our world is getting “smaller”, we have an increasing amount of population and a decreasing amount of food and water available because global warming, pollution… And since “healing” the planet is “out of the question” (what is being saved does not compare to what is being destroyed) because it will take a lot of economy and people efforts, and most of them don’t want to do that (especially those that have more “power” to do something), it’s way cheaper to go to another planet and doing everything again. And this divide people opinions in 2 ways: those who want that, and the others who want to save this planet and avoid that, or by changing the way we live or other ways.

Value of life:
Humanity during its history had “conquer” our world. When Europeans “discovered” Africa, they thought that Africans were not humans and didn’t had a soul, so they killed or enslaved then in order to get their lands. Later when they “discovered” America, they killed or expelled Indians for the same reasons (enslaving was starting to get out of fashion, and Europeans had a lot of African slaves). But fortunately, a lot of people changed and don’t want to do that again (at least with other humans, unfortunately that don’t apply to animals for a lot of people nowadays or AI).
But then we find another problem that will divide people in more opinions: that is life on other planets. Many scientists think that if we find another type of life on other planets, even if they are unicellular and primitive, we shouldn’t interfere and left it alone (with that planet too). Others think that we need other planets for our survival, and even if that means interfere or/and destroy those life forms.

And then we dive in the conspiracy theories.
One of my teachers said one time, that if the governments around the world know that the Earth will be destroyed by a meteor, they will not tell to public and will probably silence those who can tell that; so the public will only know when they see that meteor with their eyes in the sky. All that to avoid chaos, panic… and maintain the order.
In the last few years, I’ve seen a lot of reports of Mars having life; only for a few weeks later, someone denying that. So, is it true or false? What could be the consequences if it has life?
To the public, it could have a lot of consequences; many of the bigger religions currently defend that the humanity is “the chosen ones”, and Earth the only planet with life in the universe, with “the only thing bigger than humankind” being God. So, those religions will have a lot to explain if there is life on other planets, especially if we find a more advanced specie than us; because that could bring chaos among people, panic, confusion…
In an economic way, other planet means land, land means resources, money, power… so, if we know that there is life on Mars or other planets, the scientists and the public that defend life of all kinds and at all costs could delay or even prevent the “conquest” of those planets.
So, it’s possible that if some “entities” (economic, religious, governments…) know that there is life on Mars, they will do everything they can to prevent public to know, while they find ways to study and destroy those lifeforms to “safely conquer” those planets. Another problem with that way means that humankind will become parasites of planets (and also means that if another intelligent specie appears with an army to attack us, it’s more probable that they will do that to stop us and protect their homes and families from us, than to eat us or stealing our lands and resources, the exact opposite of what most movies and series about aliens show us).
(Other problems with our current way of life is that social differences will become bigger and larger, what could mean that futuristic movies and series like “Elysium” (where the top of the social pyramid will live on luxury space stations or another planets, while the bottom will stay on Earth in huge wastelands and junkyard) aren’t far way of a possible truth.)

In short, what will separate us from a lot of possible and questionable futures, are the choices that we make today as a specie.

Em8er vs Firefall: (Correct me if I’m wrong.)
The bigger difference in both games (in moral compass, in my opinion) is that the roles from players and enemies are reversed.
In Firefall, players where the accord, an army on board of Archlight when it crashed, that have the mission to protect their people and planet from an alien invasion by The Chosen, who want to terraform Earth destroying/converting all their native life. In Em8er, players are the alien invaders and the tsi-hu the defenders of their planet, that want to prevent the players of terraforming their planet and destroying all their native life (since humans can’t tolerate Em8er’s atmosphere without protection that could mean that their native life will die after terraforming).

Questions about Em8er human moral compass:
Do gatestriders have some kind of rules to prevent them of terraforming planets with life forms? Or planets are only pay checks to them?
If gatestriders have rules, do they have someone or something to enforce/verify/inspect them? Is it possible that some gatestriders groups can break those rules just to be paid? If yes, did it ever happened? If yes again, was that discovered?
Could there be some human groups that are against the gatestriders because the possibility of them to destroy life in the name of profit (or because it already happened)? Even inside the gatestriders or/and some gatestriders groups?
And in the Em8er case, since the gatestriders are desperate, could players (in the game) be the villains by using force to terraform the planet (because breaking gatestrider rules about life on planets, if they exist and apply on Em8er), while the tsi-hu are the heroes that defend it?

Book Suggestion to inspire Mr. Grummz:
Cosmos (by Carl Sagan).

What do you think?

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
My view on it is

Someone pooped earth was it the tsi-hu maybe?

We find Em8er and live here, and there is the tsihu/kaiju are they bad well i heard they get mad like the hulk.

With the different biomes it was made possible to co-exsist so we thought!!!
Then there are these bounty hunter/mercenaries who live in another biome but they can sometimes
appear to venture off to other biomes and causes problems.

The tsihu/kaiju want it all they are seen as good defending their planet but really they could of been the one that started the chain of events!.

So perhaps the reapers have found out why and its because the all seeing evil tsihu knew that the reapers are the dealiest of threat to the tsihu/kaiju exsistance. For that reason they are hostile towards the reapers and those allied with them.

The tsihu made the kaiju slaves and the reapers have kept a biome of the non-combatant kaiju's free from their grasp. It can't always be the case because the Baddies get ever so greedy and want more power of the kaiju.

The reapers then vowed to protect the biome filled with the innocent kaiju's living in their natural habitat think of them as jungle creatures in their own world.
Like any place not all creatures are going to seem friendly you have to talk to kaiju keeper cal who had a brother called al who used to sell fish on earth not sure where al is i think he is in another biome perhaps?

Then i see a biome with underwater facility it is like the Atlantis city but there you have to watch out for different threats like big kaiju squids and the mermaidmans and mermaids live there they have been living there for sometime no one knew that until a thumpr fell in and was fixed by one of the mermaiders.

There is a biome where the night is always there and the light never appear. Something or someone has drained the light from the enviroment letting those creepy and stranger sinister evil thingies creep and crawl into this biomes.

Some go there to sleep but you wont know who is hibernating or sleeping until it wakes up and tickles your tummy then your in big trouble !!!!!!!!!!

well thats just some thoughts on em8er world perhaps i am completely wrong but i like my thoughts !

Does anyone else have questions about the philosophy of Gatestriders and Reapers?
Yes where the gatesriders reapers or the reapers gatesriders and did they do anything else a part from gate riding?

How many of them were vegetarian as a panda i am invested in bamboo but it seems with the technology i can find some futuristic tofu!

VRK9

Sep 15, 2017
Portugal
From the vision book, tsi-hu aren't defending their planet "directly", they just attack everything and everyone who can bring them from their time loop, where they think that they still are in war against other tsi-hu faction.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Don't think too much about it. I guarantee you will have a better time.
We have much to think to think of a great game this game must exsist soon for all.

I had a dream that we could hop out of our meks and high five each other then go back in the meks!
there was more to the dream than that but that part stood out most for me.

Thanks, i was curious if Players play as good guys or bad guys.
I think we are the good guys but what if we were led by a corrupt leader and that in turn made us the baddies :O hmm

I am going to lean we are the goodies because that's just good feels.