Melee combat

Aug 14, 2016
Rocket punch is one option, but I like the idea of a piledriver. I would like to have a piledriver mounted on my armor or inside a shield or in inside a thrusting type weapon to give that extra force to push through things.

But I'll also be ok if the piledriver was built into the arms of the mecha. Big O, it's show time!

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
@Ronyn et al

An onmi-frame piloted by my femme would look something like this.

View attachment 411

@NightStroke The glowing parts could also serve as immersive feedback for sustained damage. The lights could either flicker, steadily blink or get dimmer the more damage certain parts (or the whole frame in general) sustains.
If the axe part was broader, IT WOULD LOOK BADASS. I like the dual wings.

BUT AREN'T WE OVER DOING THE MELEE HERE? xD

If the axe part was broader, IT WOULD LOOK BADASS. I like the dual wings.

BUT AREN'T WE OVER DOING THE MELEE HERE? xD
NOPE. :)

Don't wanna make it too broad. It's supposed to be a halberd, though. And I made the other version, removed what is normally the hook-part (since I've read those were used to pull people off horses) to make both ends have blades, for what I'd call a proper halberd.

I also made a dozen blade designs that could be easily turned into energy-variants, like I did with this one. Projected energy-weapons look better in a sci-fi setting than traditional blades, I think.

As for hammers... *shrug* I leave that to the hammer-people.

The only hammer I like is Hammerfall. :cool:

(Also, i recently discovered, at work, that having two small rubber-hammers and pounding away at stuff, like a drummer, makes for a good workout for my forearms and grip.)

Aug 14, 2016
Again. As a person who never blocks while in a fight (I'm a fire style melee fighter,) my only defence is to dodge and/or use counterattacks. And so I wound the ability to take my enemy's energy/force and turn it back on them. The stronger their attack is the more damage they end up doing to themselves when I send it back at them.

If you are a fan of The Seven Deadly Sins you'll know where I getting at. As Wraith is a fire style fighter too.

Full Counter
Full Counter enables its user to reflect attacks aimed at him back at the enemy, but with more than double the power; therefore, the stronger the opponent's powers are, the stronger the user's power becomes. However, there are also many drawbacks to Full Counter: the user cannot initiate any attacks themselves, and they would not be able to reflect attacks if the opponent does not allow them to read the nature and timing of their attacks.

Revenge Counter
Revenge Counter turns off the user's abilities so they can take all the damage. After they have taken enough damage, they can charges their melee weapon with power and strike the enemy with it all the power that was absorbed by them plus the extra power of the user. This is considered to be an ultimate attack and has an average survival rate of 0.2%.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Good lordy you guys are making this way too complicated. I'm with Marcus on this one..."Guns Guns and Moar Guns!". Seriously while Melee has it's place in combat it shouldn't be taking up your meck's hands to use it. Allow for melee designs to change the shape of your mech's melee weapon but it needs to be an extendable integrated component of the fist. Both hands are needed to hold that gun you are going to be wielding that gun with no recoil right? *facepaw* Melee should be an attack of opportunity not as a complete subset of combat, that is a lot of game design time and money for something that only a small portion of the population would be likely to use on a consistant basis.

I'm with @Torgue_Joey on this, stick with the omniblade design for our omniframe. If someone gets to close give them an explosive punch in the face with an extendable blade from your fist. POW! shields gone...

0V3RKILL

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Aug 5, 2016
You could still do that in 1.6, you just needed the powered servos melee weapon or whatever it was called. I wouldn't say the Engineer's punch attack was particularly realistic considering our pilots were supposed to be expert fighters. A roundhouse punch like that one is too predictable and easy to block or redirect.
k got it, you made it very clear you want to disagree. I liked it and it was awesome for me to hit people with the bud of my riffle. Felt realistic. I don't want to be able to box professionally.

Aug 2, 2016
To make it understandable, that middle segment is the Emitter, otherwise it would just be more like a lightsaber, kinda don't want that. Though I could change the emitter design. but something long that design would be nice for Melee combat, cause I think I'm on of the few that actually remember there's melee attack in more games.