Listing high-ranking players for servers

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
I'm watching a stream talking about layers/shards and the MiMO concept.

One thing I'm interested in is having people with the higher packages in my.em8er.com listed as members on a server, such as the Ark Lieges and Omni Aces. This way when I decide to roll on a server, I know who "the ranking officers" are.

The same pre-login interface, when selecting the server to zone into, could also have a star next to names to indicate when one of them is online.

I feel this would nudge things a little more toward the community feeling, building upon the Ark Lieges being announced when they log in or switch zones.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Not sure how I feel about this, are you going to include a search feature? I will say one thing, there needs to be an opt-out or toggle switch in the settings to turn this off. Also what if every Ark Leige/Kaiju Slayer/Max Kahuna's ended up on a couple servers leaving the rest without.

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
Not sure how I feel about this, are you going to include a search feature?
Are there many Ark Lieges?

I will say one thing, there needs to be an opt-out or toggle switch in the settings to turn this off.
I agree. Like some sort of privacy setting.

Also what if every Ark Leige/Kaiju Slayer/Max Kahuna's ended up on a couple servers leaving the rest without.
I also wondered this. Personally I'd roll on one with few.

perhaps this should be based not on backer level, but player skill level.
I was musing to myself about a leaderboard for resources pulled from the environment (whether or not it's used for base contributions, value of items crafted, etc)

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
How would you quantify skill level in Em-8er, in a way that doesn't factor in time played. I ask this because in the above example, amount of resources pulled from the enviornment can be a factor of time spent, not how good you are. A friendless basement dwelling teenager can pull a lot of resources from the ground simply because of how much time they spend doing it, versus someone who is much better, but only plays once or twice a week. Also someone freshly starting would have a difficult time overcoming someone with 3 years of resource pulling.

EDIT: Also wouldn't everyone just play on whatever shard/server/instance @Ronyn is DEEPSTRIKing from?

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
How would you quantify skill level in Em-8er, in a way that doesn't factor in time played. I ask this because in the above example, amount of resources pulled from the enviornment can be a factor of time spent, not how good you are. A friendless basement dwelling teenager can pull a lot of resources from the ground simply because of how much time they spend doing it, versus someone who is much better, but only plays once or twice a week. Also someone freshly starting would have a difficult time overcoming someone with 3 years of resource pulling.

EDIT: Also wouldn't everyone just play on whatever shard/server/instance @Ronyn is DEEPSTRIKing from?
I think it would be related to successful base defenses and a combination of participation nd resources pulled per thump. Skilled players would have a high participation score, more base victories, and they wold be good at deep thumping.

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
How would you quantify skill level in Em-8er, in a way that doesn't factor in time played.
I didn't realise I was touching on leaderboarding concepts, but you bring up some interesting problems.

I would definitely avoid any concept of defining what "skill" is and focus on contributions. This leaves the time-participation problem. The solution to that would be to have tracking such as daily, weekly and monthly. Then the main page would have the top x from each category, compared.

This does get into a lot more nuances, psychology and it even hints at rewards.. all of which I think are too much work and set a kind of precedence or tone I personally wouldn't want.

I like considering the idea of competition to some degree, but would rather abandon any of these ideas rather than erode camaraderie. I think that's a far more important tone to reach for.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I like considering the idea of competition to some degree, but would rather abandon any of these ideas rather than erode camaraderie. I think that's a far more important tone to reach for.
So instead of individual ranks having team ranks they could be categorized by small team and big team

Ranks for teams surviving X amount of time in a designated zone

Ranks for teams who have Eliminated Boss/Bosses

Ranks for teams who become Legendary Crafters

Ranks for teams that Revive/heal most

Ranks for teams that fix the most

Ranks for Race teams who are the fastest

Ranks for Style points related to fashion event, style points earned to get more things to change look
from pilot/thumpr/omniframe.

etc etc

I think it would be related to successful base defenses and a combination of participation nd resources pulled per thump. Skilled players would have a high participation score, more base victories, and they wold be good at deep thumping.
What if someone crashed would this take into account how long someone was participating before crashing?

When defending would this take into account if someone was afk and letting their team mates carry even when they are in the radius of the defense zone?

Aug 5, 2017
UK
Hmmm..Have I miss-read this?! Are we talking about a paper-pencil 'Voluntary' system or a core mechanic in game?! - like power guilds or teams who have pre-requisite conditions before participating in a Zone event (Kaiju invasion/base raid/tower offensive) ? ...or am I being 'dumb' / 'confused' ? :p

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
a core mechanic in game?! - like power guilds or teams who have pre-requisite conditions before participating in a Zone event (Kaiju invasion/base raid/tower offensive)

Part of the game is my guess and no your not dumb because you have moustache and glasses so this automatically makes you intellectual :D

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Not sure that suggesting high tier milestone contributors being listed on initial server selection counts as a core mechanic. At least my take on the OP isn't an in game situation.

I was going to suggest perhaps that instead of individuals, Reaper teams who control the largest number of bases might be a good idea to display when choosing a server, assuming we actually end up choosing a server on character creation.