Limitations on Carrying Melee and Ranged Weapons + Animation

There's something I'm not sure of, here. And I might be forgetting a post from the devs that already cleared this up, but. I know lighter frames will be able to dual-wield melee, and medium frames will be able to dual-wield ranged-weapons.

Should every frame, regardless of type and build have a default melee weapon and if so should there be two variants? One would have to be held, especially if it is two-handed. The other type could be wrist-mounted and it would either extend or if it would be energy-based, then it could simply be projected to be space-efficient. In the latter's case, it could easily allow for a separate primary and secondary ranged weapon to be carried.

However, if a ranged-weapon would be wrist-mounted, like an Electron's shock-rail, then it would be neat if the weapon didn't disappear when we'd swap our secondary ranged weapon. Just because...it would look weird, from a third-person animation if a gun in our mech's hands or on his arm would just keep disappearing. It wouldn't be too big, anyway, especially if it would fold-up. It would make it easier and faster for certain builds to swap weapons. Perhaps it could be up to the players preference if they'd want a hand-held or a wrist-mounted version of a particular weapon. Or some weapons could only be one or the other type and using them would either slow down or speed up weapon swapping.

And if I'd have dual-blades, both of which would be mounted on/projected from my wrist, then would I be still allowed to hold a primary and a secondary ranged-weapon or would that be too much? Would having dual melee-weapons take up enough of our frame's carrying capacity, it slots, or enough of its energy, that we would only be allowed a single ranged weapon? So, one could sacrifice a secondary ranged weapon to dual wield melee weapons, if they want their build to be geared towards melee combat. Or they could carry a primary and secondary ranged weapon, but with a single melee weapon that may or may not be limited in size. So, maybe heavier frames could still carry larger, two-handed melee weapons, with two ranged ones, while medium and lighter frames would only be allowed smaller melee weapons, one-handed blades and whatever blunt weapons there might be.

I just feel like having a strong primary (e.g.: Sniper Rifle, Rail-Gun...etc.). having a secondary of any kind AND dual wielding two melee blades would be overkill. Especially, if I eventually want a TAIL in there, at some point. :D

Tyceus

Firstclaimer
Jun 22, 2017
Denmark
I think all frames should at least have a default melee weapon, or the possibility of having one, i also agree that there should be two variants, maybe a heavy melee weapon and a light melee weapon as you described above.

i agree, if a ranged weapon was wrist mounted, unless it's like a weapon that folds out when in use, would look weird if it just ''poofs'' gone when switching weapon,

i think that if one would want to dual-wield blades it should replace the primary weapon but still leave the player with a secondary.
for the heavier frames i like the idea of them being able to be more of an arsenal, though at the cost of speed? or maybe carry capacity.

this is just my quick thoughts on it :)
+for a TaiL

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
MELEE IS STANDARD FOR EVERY FRAME. GOTTA PARRY AND FEND OFF THOSE MUTATED RABBITS.

I'M TOO INTERESTED WHAT MELEE TOYS WE WILL HAVE.
WRIST MOUNTED BLADES TO TURN MIDGETS WITH TOURETTE INTO BADASS SHREDDERS.

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
A melee weapon should be standard for every frame, even if it's a kick or a rifle butt. Holding a sword and a gun at the same time, the buttons for aiming and/or blocking might get confusing.

For wrist-mounted weapons, say you're carrying anything bigger than a pistol, that you'd be holding the grip with your non-dominant hand. So you could take it with your non-dominant hand by the front grip, then strike with your dominant hand with limited effectiveness. I can't really see how that would go in animation though.

Warframe does this reasonably well unless you strike while holding your primary or secondary, but I can't say I've had my concentration break because my shotgun has disappeared and now I'm holding a two-handed sword.

A melee weapon should be standard for every frame, even if it's a kick or a rifle butt. Holding a sword and a gun at the same time, the buttons for aiming and/or blocking might get confusing.

For wrist-mounted weapons, say you're carrying anything bigger than a pistol, that you'd be holding the grip with your non-dominant hand. So you could take it with your non-dominant hand by the front grip, then strike with your dominant hand with limited effectiveness. I can't really see how that would go in animation though.

Warframe does this reasonably well unless you strike while holding your primary or secondary, but I can't say I've had my concentration break because my shotgun has disappeared and now I'm holding a two-handed sword.
Also, we really need to re-imagine how weapons would look in the hands or on the wrists of our omni-frames. This might not translate well, but...

What I mean is, a pistol-like configuration (a weapon that would basically behave like a pistol), would actually look kind of ridiculous, if it was just a giant pistol in an omni-frame's hand. We can hold pistols in our own human hands, but a scaled-up model of that would just look weird. So, weapons should pretty much retain a certain look, depending on how it would be modded, but just holding scaled-up models of pistols, shotguns or even sniper rifles, would look weird. Imagine a pistol from a game like Warframe or Defiance or Destiny 2, some basic sci-fi, high-tech, streamlined, smooth pistol, then select it in Photoshop, stretch it, scale it up to the proportions of the omni-frame and, I dunno, THAT would just look weird.

These potentially awkward designs/visuals mightbe solved by making ranged-weapons wrist-mounted only, so they wouldn't even have triggers (didn't need to have triggers) to pull with our frame's fingers, but their fire-rate, damage, clip-size, range...etc. would determine their role and, in a way, the class they would fit into, with overlaps, here and there, with other classes, because of the diversity of modifications, potentially.

I dunno...I'm not sure about this. But, holding giant-sized pistols and other type of weapons just looks weird to me. Not bad. I mean the posters with the frames, there, holding the guns, look cool, but still, they also give me a weird feeling. It gives a sense of power of course, like, a human-sized Desert Eagle packs a punch. A shotgun, too. A sniper rifle thunders. And, now, imagine those weapons BIGGER and in the hands of mechs. And yet...it also feels weird.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
what if pets could carry for example your pistols while you just focus on using the melee etc.

pros
- Can slash away not worrying much on shooting
- Its effective when your melee hits are aimed well and so does the shot of the pet
- gives you more focus on making a main weapon stronger
- frees up the slot
- can command pet not to shoot if needed

cons
- Pets with pistols will give away your position to enemies greatly
- pets tend to have a lower capacity for ammo/energy but could mod for that to improve
- pistols could be attached with a suppressor to reduce the detection but could also reduce the dmg
- pets may need maintenance especially with more higher usage

Last edited:

Krhys

Commander
Jul 26, 2016
Really struggling to understand why a triframe with two perfectly good hands can only wield one melee weapon? Don't tell that in the far flung future space magicks has those sort of limitations??? Even I can hit someone with a stick in each hand at once (not that I condone that sort of thing) and I'm not even frame assisted...

Confused.com..........................

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
what if on the mech

or

hmm

what about a belt that the pilot wear to boost the mech using just their hands and feet for combat
so it becomes a martial art mech!

Last edited: