Light Frame Dodge Ability

Aug 14, 2016
Because I use to play sports like American football, basketball, and a few other things when I was kid one of the easiest and simplest dodges to do is to just spin around. Turning your body around in just the right way at the right time makes it so it is harder for people to judge where you are going, it also lowers the odds of you getting hit, even if you are hit it lowers the amount of damage you would have otherwise got because it forces the hit to glance off you, and you can break the grip of holds and grapples. So adding a simple spin in place and spinning side step is work really well in small spaces and in melee range.

And in combat spinning around also helps with attacking too. As you can use the spin to build up speed and momentum for a punch or kick. Or as part of a counterattack using the enemy's own attack against them. In ranged combat spinning while you catch a thrown or fired object makes it so you don't take damage from it. And if you wanted too you can use the spin to throw the object back at the attack with more force than what you aimed at you by adding in more speed and/or momentum to it.

P.s. for the people who don't know what the spin dodge is in American football.

And this how you do the spin dodge in basketball

Last edited:

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
Spins would be an intriguing addition. I ponder how the game code would choose between an areal flip versus a grounded spin. Requiring the user to be airborne is a bit obvious but that would be an additional key press which may be too dextrous for players.

I will add that for sword fights, spinning is a great way to tell the opponent to thrust or simply throw any cut. During the spin there is time where your sword is not pointed at your opponent, it therefore can not guard/block/parry. The opponent would have to be off balance or asleep to miss that opportunity.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I ponder how the game code would choose between an areal flip versus a grounded spin
What if there was a spin button that could be bind or if the direction of the spin could be done with the mouse movement e.g.

In 1st person hold left mouse button and do a fast little swipe to turn and tap A or D to spin in that direction

In 3rd person it could be done the same i think

Would that mean if this was done and a weapon was equiped that the spin would let us use the weapon as we spin or just not work for that brief moment on some?

With melee weapons it would look very stylish however what about a projectile based weapon could a charge up shot be done so that if the left mouse button was held down and as soon as the movement was complete and able to see the cross hair turn a different colour to indicate a target lock?

I'd imagine in 1st person the spin movement would be shown with a bit of a blur effect perhaps ?

2 other simple dodges are crouching and prone position they can also be good for getting in smaller gaps too.

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
Heavy Frame = yeah right (take the hit or use that shield)
GO THROUGH IT

Wall-running is a very environment-dependant ability. Light omniframes having an almost Warframe-esque movement style would be neat, with decreased enemy accuracy based on speed and the type of movement would be interesting. Or rolling/flipping directly into a jumpjet for increased initial boost.

Aug 14, 2016
It is common for tank characters and classes to have things to pull agro onto themselves and hold the enemy's attention for while, like taunts. But why so few characters and classes in games use intimidation tactics that have DPS classes use fear to make enemies avoid you or pause for a moment in their attack?

Because I don't know about you all, but in real life I have used intimidation tactics in fights to make others avoid attacking me or give them a moments pause to make an opening for myself while they think about what do to next. After all, a large part of real life combat is a mental game. And even saying some random thing to make the other person unsure of if you are lying or not, or is they are falling into a trap, is time you can use to set up your next move. But that could just be me, as I got into a lot of fights in my younger days. Never underestimate the effectiveness of a person who can make other people do this.