Keybinds

Wintersiege

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Hebron, ND USA
Just a quick something that I really hope happens with Ember is being able to keybind to your mousewheel up/down and click. So many games on the market have these binds hardcoded, usually to camera zoom, with no way to change them. I know World of Warcraft and several other games do allow you to change your camera zoom to other buttons so you gain access to 3 additinal keybinds essentiall for 1 finger placement.

I am also aware that gaming mice are more and more common and/or affordable but really nothing can compete with having the ability to bind 3 actions with 1 finger placement like your mousewheel gives you. Anyway, I do hope something as simple as this doesnt get overlooked during development like so many other games.

Beemann

Jul 29, 2016
Firefall actually had some decent HUD and Keybind customization options, so I'd expect to see the same in Ember. To be quite frank, any modern FPS worth its salt ought to have full keybinding, adjustable FOV and crosshair customization

Jul 26, 2016
  • any game that isn't garbage has Keybindings at all.
  • any good game, has Keybindings that are flexible and let you use single buttons for everything OR use combinations (like Shift + Letter or w/e) and all buttons that exist (Scroll Click, Mousewheel, Forward/Backward aka Mouse3/4 or Mouse 4/5 depending on if you count the right or wrong way).
  • any great game, has the previous but also lets you bind more than one button/combination to the same thing at the same time.

any godlike game would write it's own low level input support so that it could recognize accessory buttons as their own unique buttons.
no game will ever do that though. nobody is going to write custom drivers just for their own game. and i don't actually expect anyone too. just annoyed that Microsoft still hasn't done it.

Jul 26, 2016
Microsoft is a bunch of incompetent sods who's sole purpose is to take over the financial world with a monolithic OS.
i only mention Windows and Microsoft as a colloquial reference, it's the same across all Operating Systems. nobody supports accessory buttons.

Col. Kernel

Deepscanner
Jul 28, 2016
i only mention Windows and Microsoft as a colloquial reference, it's the same across all Operating Systems. nobody supports accessory buttons.
I know. But in reality shouldn't that be the job of the hardware manufacturer, to build a driver that connects to the built in hooks in the OS and supplies the needs of the specific hardware?

Jul 26, 2016
I know. But in reality shouldn't that be the job of the hardware manufacturer, to build a driver that connects to the built in hooks in the OS and supplies the needs of the specific hardware?
the Hardware Manufacturer isn't going to write custom Input Drivers for all Operating Systems and ship them with their products for you to copy paste into the appropriate location on your computer, to support Accessory Buttons.

they'd support anything that was supported elsewhere. *shrugs*

Oh, I don't how many times I had to roll my eyes when I saw someone in the chat asking which key is for a certain action or window. I could only respond with "You map the keys!" or "You can remap keys in the options." I couldn't respond with the exact answer, naming the default keys, because I don't use them.

And yes, mapping controls to five-button mouse is a must. I usually have sprint and crouch there. Wheel or middle-mouses button click for free-view (in case of FF), or perspective change. Wheel up/down for weapon switch.

What I liked about FireFall is that unlike with my games (many that weren't even PC-ports), when you remap controls, in tutorial and tip messages, it shows the remapped key and doesn't keep showing the defaults. I would say that it is understandably a minor issue, but to be honest, it isn't. It's quite a bit annoying when something like this is missing from a game.

Last edited: