Just checking in... Question on "war" implementation.

Aug 26, 2016
Hello all its been awhile since I really looked up em8ber. I remember linking my old FF account for reimbursement of old FF founders but haven't really heard much about this game since then. Reading the forums there seems to be a basic playable mock up that has only a bare minimum of features for testing. Seems like very foundational and early development stuff. With the current rate of developments it seems this wont be out for another 3-4 years.

I have read the literature for how the "war" concept supposed to be. It seems rather vague still, are there any more specifics on that front or is it still to early? I am most interested in that implementation cause that was one of my biggest gripes with old FF is the "chosen war" never happened it just kinda got forgotten.

I

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Hello, i am sure things will get updated and revealed especially for the kickstarter!
Not sure exactly when that is going to be and have a good feeling it wont hopefully wont be 3-500 years time.

What thoughts do you have about the war concept to add more in your view?

- I'd personally like to read certain details of the war in the novel too
- Small stories of our player character Rp that we could tie them to the war from different perspectives
- Details of the war unraveled in the game with artifacts, memos, lost recordings etc etc

Perhaps if it is vague for a reason then we can start to reveal the hidden truth as we go along discovering biomes, plot twists, because that way i'd be interested to find out as much as i could as my curiosity takes over.... could it lead us to more answers & even more dangers!

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
Hello all its been awhile since I really looked up em8ber. I remember linking my old FF account for reimbursement of old FF founders but haven't really heard much about this game since then. Reading the forums there seems to be a basic playable mock up that has only a bare minimum of features for testing. Seems like very foundational and early development stuff. With the current rate of developments it seems this wont be out for another 3-4 years.

I have read the literature for how the "war" concept supposed to be. It seems rather vague still, are there any more specifics on that front or is it still to early? I am most interested in that implementation cause that was one of my biggest gripes with old FF is the "chosen war" never happened it just kinda got forgotten.

I
There are 2 demo's available. If you are a backer where you get a copy of the game, then you have access to the most up to date demo. If you are a monthly subscriber, then you have access to the demo previous to the most up to date demo. The most up to date demo has been put in white box form to build hype for the updated art/graphics for the Omni-Frames, Terrain, and some mini monster that's supposed to be reminiscent of the Arahna of FF. The Kick Starter should be this year. The playable demo will show the THMPR encounter AND there will be a cinematic that will present the perpetual war aspect (to include Kaiju). Can't wait myself as I feel it's very soon for that KS announcement. Hopefully this info is helpful. Oh...lastly...it has been mentioned that the website will get an update to better show the war and Kaiju aspect of the game ahead of KS...supposedly...lol.

Aug 26, 2016
1. I would like to know the amount of player agency will be involved in exploring and finding new enemy land to conquer and terraform. At least at a conceptual level.

2. Will the push back be completely AI or will it have some human input to spice things up?

3. Will capturing and making new area available be in the players hands or will it just be planned "events" and piece mealed out to the server as "content". Example: players have a scouting platoon that are off deep into the non terraformed areas and find a base then report that info to rest of the player base in which a plan is then formed to attack said base. OR will it just be dev say hey this new base was discovered it gonna be your next target and open up that area for access?

4. Is there a command structure of some type planned? it is going to be completely up to the players?

5. Will the multiple servers be linked with the territory map or will each server have it own progress?

6. Will we need to worry about non combat function like supply chains, hospitals, repair garages, and communications to name a few?

7. How will the difficulty of taking new land scale will it take a like 2-3 people or will it require server wide cooperation?

Well those are probably the biggest questions about "war mechanics"

With the videos I have seen the combat itself looks like its coming along pretty well. It also seems like the base building concepts are also pretty interesting and solid.

Really liking the fact that many of these ideas are coming from an RTS background as well. I think those games have a much more "war" like atmosphere and will lend themselves to making a massive planetary war game fell like an actual war.

Aug 26, 2016
There are 2 demo's available. If you are a backer where you get a copy of the game, then you have access to the most up to date demo. If you are a monthly subscriber, then you have access to the demo previous to the most up to date demo. The most up to date demo has been put in white box form to build hype for the updated art/graphics for the Omni-Frames, Terrain, and some mini monster that's supposed to be reminiscent of the Arahna of FF. The Kick Starter should be this year. The playable demo will show the THMPR encounter AND there will be a cinematic that will present the perpetual war aspect (to include Kaiju). Can't wait myself as I feel it's very soon for that KS announcement. Hopefully this info is helpful. Oh...lastly...it has been mentioned that the website will get an update to better show the war and Kaiju aspect of the game ahead of KS...supposedly...lol.
I am not a backer, still not willing to give money to this project yet been burned before ya see. Although I don't mind contributing ideas and concepts. I have played many RTS games and FPS's as well so if I feel the need to share something I will. I am also well aware that "non-backer" ideas aren't given much weight in any game this early in development and I am fine with that.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I am not a backer, still not willing to give money to this project yet been burned before ya see. Although I don't mind contributing ideas and concepts.
Contribution of ideas and thoughts is always good too, and those who back it get nice things too.

I am also well aware that "non-backer" ideas aren't given much weight in any game this early in development and I am fine with that.
I'd hope all ideas would be looked at and taken into consideration whether or not it is used is another matter. Some could be used for the future or some may be kept as a lets think about that idea because we need to see how it develops with the core gameplay focus etc.

1. I would like to know the amount of player agency will be involved in exploring and finding new enemy land to conquer and terraform. At least at a conceptual level.
When you say agency is that the actual clan / group?

2. Will the push back be completely AI or will it have some human input to spice things up?
I do hope that it is both because some human to give it some unpredictability time to time.

3. Will capturing and making new area available be in the players hands or will it just be planned "events" and piece mealed out to the server as "content". Example: players have a scouting platoon that are off deep into the non terraformed areas and find a base then report that info to rest of the player base in which a plan is then formed to attack said base. OR will it just be dev say hey this new base was discovered it gonna be your next target and open up that area for access?
We could have a mixture some in our hands and other areas of target that may require more than a few of us. Planned events could be good and think we need to discover the area or at least the Dev's could mention some message that is a little cryptic such as

"Disturbance in the mountains, potential presence of others appears...find them before they find you"

Even though they may not be in the north side, could be a diversion so this would make things interesting. How can we be sure that the message was sent by a friendly, or a tsihu, a spy someone with an agenda to captialise on either tsihu and reapers out of the way!

4. Is there a command structure of some type planned? it is going to be completely up to the players?
Yes i think so we sure have to defend the command structure too!

5. Will the multiple servers be linked with the territory map or will each server have it own progress?
I hope we can carry over our progress to the other servers.
Would imagine that each server may have different progress because of the time zone otherwise someone who may just enter the game find that it has already ended but in the other server just began unless its all linked and everywhere is the same shrugs

6. Will we need to worry about non combat function like supply chains, hospitals, repair garages, and communications to name a few?
I think we have to consider those they would play a big part in the war effort otherwise we will have big kaiju problems! It made me think if those where offline because of tsihu destroying our research center etc then we would have to use older/lower tech until we can reclaim that.

Imagine if repair stations and packs where impaired by the result of this and the medics would be even more important etc

7. How will the difficulty of taking new land scale will it take a like 2-3 people or will it require server wide cooperation?
My guess is small areas could be taken with a few but other areas would need server wide coop because of either the sheer difficulty and even numbers of enemies.

Aug 26, 2016
Contribution of ideas and thoughts is always good too, and those who back it get nice things too.

I'd hope all ideas would be looked at and taken into consideration whether or not it is used is another matter. Some could be used for the future or some may be kept as a lets think about that idea because we need to see how it develops with the core gameplay focus etc.

When you say agency is that the actual clan / group?
Player agency in vague terms is the amount of change to content a player is allowed by his/her choices in a game.

Weather that be effecting story, effecting power levels, effecting any content in general. Players agency, is important in any and every game because it can heavily effect players desire to consume said content because they have "invested" their time and energy.

Character creation is a perfect example of giving a player agency in a game. I myself have spent hours in Black Deserts character creation tool because when I create a unique look I like, I get that feeling of satisfying investment. It is something I created in that world.

Take old Firefall for example. Pushing back the melding was a dev choice because it was the same space and same enemies and same rewards and when over the melding returned. The player didn't effect anything in gameso very little feeling of investment and very little player agency was given. Thumping however is a player choice when and where and to get what resources. It gives players that feeling of time well invested and it was there choice to take that action . That gives more player agency because it was entirely the players choice to drop defend and mine those resources.
Another example was taking or defending comm towers. Doing so changed the map slightly, and that semi permanent change would be another exaple of player agency.

So when I ask about player agency I am asking how much of this war will be created by player made choices vs how much will be made by dev choices. Which is why I put the caveat of "conceptually", cause I don't expect them to have all the details worked out at this stage.

These are basic simplified examples. Player agency can actually be quite complicated because not everyone has the same thoughts on what gives them that "investment" feeling. However the rule that will apply to all cases it that its "players choice" that effects the content.

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Thanks for explaining that, made it much clearer. :cool:

I think there will be more player agency eventually, and that would make the game alive and how are choices could affect the outcome of the war, such as locating strategic plot to build a base as an example