Isn't VR a tid bit overhyped?

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
I recall grummz saying something about VR support for ember (if i'm wrong forgive me and move it to offtopic) , so, also for my own agenda, i decided to look in it a bit and i was utterly disappointed as it seems to me that there is little support for shooter games like firefall is and probably ember will be, we've got 4 "major" vr devices if you can call them that, htc vive from valve, oculus rift wich i believe ultimately comes from microsoft, samsung gear vr and google cardboard.

Htc vive: this is the best one if you look at it from a quality standpoint and the controllers look nice and adaptive, excluding the fact that at 799$ and 899€ (By the way when did the us/eur exchange reverse? shouldn't it be, like, the opposite?) it's extremely proibitive but that is only part of the problem, the main con is that when you look at it from a logistical prospective is a nightmare of epical proportions.
It requires, i kid you not, that you have a free ROOM of 21 square meters, this automatically excludes anyone living in small apartments and people with families and/or stable relations, imagine telling your non-gamer partner that you need a completely empty room to play games..... No thanks valve, i might spare the 1k bucks but i'm not sacrificing my girlfriend to you.

Oculus rift: this one looks somewhat nice too still in the high quality realm, the price is still proibitive at 600$ but i'm faithfull than in 3 years it will fall somewhat, anyways there's a catch here, you're either using a couple of split motion controllers that look as anti-ergonomic as i've ever seen and you still need to track both joysticks and motion control or a standard xbox one, motion control is handled similiarly to the wii from what i've seen so you're either playing standing, blind with motion controllers or sitting and gesturing from a chair
There's the problem right there as you are NOT integrating this with pc keyboard+mouse or even standard controller play, it's just impossible as the controllers don't have the volume and weight to be used to track a gun with even remote accuracy even with police style pistol&flashlight holding tecnique and even if you somewhat manage people will not do it becouse holding your arms straight forward for 30+ minutes is called "isometric exercise" and not gaming not to add that it's EXTREMELY tiring, so what do you do? you ditch motion control and use a controller or just move back to the keyboard+mouse and loose a great part of the experience.

Samsung gear vr: out of the alternatives this is perhaps the most disappointing and what i would call the worst. it's google cardboard with slightly better lens and using oculus rift software adapted to android, why would anyone spend 100$ on this i simply do not know, i just don't.

Google cardboard: This is cheap, everything about it is cheap level. the quality is lower than the first two alternatives but it's more aviable, also the software and the stuff devs need are both free, visual quality is mostly phone related but with an high end phone i've heard that there's not such a massive difference between this and oculus rift.
While it does add a performance barrier due to using both phone and computer it does get somewhat nullified as more and more advanced phones come out, one thing to keep in consideration is that it has the best motion control.
But it has no motion control you'll say. And it's true. That just means you can hook whatever alternative motion controller will inevitably come out in the future as vr becomes more devenloped or you can already use a wii controller (they can be hooked on pc and are accurate to an extent in my personal experience, i wouldn't play a shooter with it but then i wouldn't play it with an xbox contoller either and it's just as inaccurate) it's a bit homebrew but then this looks much cooler and comfortable than this to me anyways.
i wouldn't recommand it over oculus for quality but it seems that it's the most viable one in terms of space required and consideration for human phisiology.

At the end my personal opinion is that vr is somewhat of a bust and i wouldn't waste money on it at this stage, probably releasing a screen streamer app optimized for the game for android/iphone later on that allows to track camera view throught the smartphone's gyroscope would be the most cost effective options specially given that you can already play in "semi-VR" even unsupported games already https://www.reddit.com/r/GoogleCardboard/comments/3tk0k2/playing_fallout_4_with_google_cardboard/

I sincerely hope that he really said something about it after i took the time to write all this XD i'd like to hear other's people opinons either way

Btw i did try to not make it look too wall of texty but it was a miserable failure, also i just discovered that this forum apparently doesn't make links blue automatically if you use the [ url=XXXX ] [ /url] thingy so i colored them with bbcode

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2016
At the moment I'd say it's a bit overblown but at the same time this is how technology is progressed through innovation, trial and error.

In the future you may see the things in sci-fi shows a reality, like hand waved hologram UI's, etc you know?

Personal computers were a start, and look at today, we have that tech inside small smartphone devices.

I'm just saying that VR could pave a path into some new territory.

Another use for VR is e-learning. You can teach people how to use heavy duty equipment, fly planes, etc. without the danger to equipment damage in real life scenario. I worked with a company starting into VR and gaming uses for learning/training.

PlzBanMe

The furry mod
Staff member
Ember Moderator
Jul 27, 2016
If you have never tried VR you can't really call it a waste. I have personally used HTC vive and it is amazing. The space used can be limited to smaller spaces but yes it pretty much takes up most of the room. It is no means a bust just yet because for the first time the tech really there and ready to support a full experience. VR are games are going to need to be built completely different than most modern games. There are enough manufacturers to driver each company into competing for buyers. Over the next few years they will get cheaper.

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
I'm just saying that VR could pave a path into some new territory.
Another use for VR is e-learning. You can teach people how to use heavy duty equipment, fly planes, etc. without the danger to equipment damage in real life scenario. I worked with a company starting into VR and gaming uses for learning/training.
i don't necessailry disagree with that, it's just that the gaming aspect of the thing looks really exaggerated and full of oversights concerning things that have nothing to do with the actual VR tech, years of study and hundreds of designers working on ergonomics and you come to me with oculus controllers? It's just disappointing.
If you have never tried VR you can't really call it a waste. I have personally used HTC vive and it is amazing. The space used can be limited to smaller spaces but yes it pretty much takes up most of the room. It is no means a bust just yet because for the first time the tech really there and ready to support a full experience. There are enough manufacturers to driver each company into competing for buyers. Over the next few years they will get cheaper.
i did try it in an exposition and yes, i've never said that the quality is bad, actually i think it's the best one atm, just as i came home and was about to buy it i and realized that i simply did not have the space where to put it unless i moved in the garden or kicked people out of my house and i was massively disappointed.

PlzBanMe

The furry mod
Staff member
Ember Moderator
Jul 27, 2016
i don't necessailry disagree with that, it's just that the gaming aspect of the thing looks really exaggerated and full of oversights concerning things that have nothing to do with the actual VR tech, years of study and hundreds of designers working on ergonomics and you come to me with oculus controllers? It's just disappointing.
The hand control add to the experience. With Vive it give the ability to reach out and touch the world. It just draws you in so much more. This is VR for gaming and using a controller would really just take you out of it. At that point you are just watching the world with over priced 3d glasses. HTC offer the fullest experience with room VR.

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
The hand control add to the experience. With Vive it give the ability to reach out and touch the world. It just draws you in so much more. This is VR for gaming and using a controller would really just take you out of it. At that point you are just watching the world with over priced 3d glasses. HTC offer the fullest experience with room VR.
My point exactly, the problem is HTC vive and oculus is that not really compatible with first/third person games, specially shooters as it's designed to give you a space where you can reach out and touch stuff and there isn't the support for fast movement and weapon aiming.
You cannot aim for extended periods of time with hand controls, the only real option is to adopt a pistol grip stance with the hand controllers but even then the accuracy is scarce and your arms will still tire fast, a custom controller with a stock might help you a bit but even then it's still tiring.
If you're looking for army training it's good but for a game? i'm not sure, and then you go back to your argument about overpriced 3d glasses

PlzBanMe

The furry mod
Staff member
Ember Moderator
Jul 27, 2016
My point exactly, the problem is HTC vive and oculus is that not really compatible with first/third person games, specially shooters as it's designed to give you a space where you can reach out and touch stuff and there isn't the support for fast movement and weapon aiming.
You cannot aim for extended periods of time with hand controls, the only real option is to adopt a pistol grip stance with the hand controllers but even then the accuracy is scarce and your arms will still tire fast, a custom controller with a stock might help you a bit but even then it's still tiring.
If you're looking for army training it's good but for a game? i'm not sure, and then you go back to your argument about overpriced 3d glasses
I personally see VR differently than you. I have used it(I don't know if you have). I was making more of a cheapshot with the whole 3D glasses thing without room scale. For VR you want to go beyond modern games or try and enhance modern genres. Also not every genre can be moved to VR. VR will always be about first person views. VR will be about interaction with the world. It a new form of gaming. If you want to see this new world of gaming you get VR but not to enhance your current games. I will get one in time and most likely try and make a GOD game of sort. If you don't think it is worth it that is fine.

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
I will get one in time and most likely try and make a GOD game of sort. If you don't think it is worth it that is fine.
i made this thread thinking about making ember for VR, not questioning werether or not vr is suited to other games or new genres, if someone makes a vr version of something like From dust or spore (ubisoft i know, but i enjoyed them, specially since i decided to get rid of the launcher requirement) i'll be the first in line to get it.

PlzBanMe

The furry mod
Staff member
Ember Moderator
Jul 27, 2016
i made this thread thinking about making ember for VR, not questioning werether or not vr is suited to other games or new genres, if someone makes a vr version of something like From dust or spore (ubisoft i know, but i enjoyed them, specially since i decided to get rid of the launcher requirement) i'll be the first in line to get it.
I don't think it will work all that well for ember. More gimmick at that point than anything else. Just slapping it on most likely won't be the best for the game or the tech.

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
If VR is to be introduced, I think a major concern would be motion sickness. People who don't normally get motion sickness can still get it depending on how the game is made. I don't think Kern will be able to solve the issues with motion sickness without limiting some important options. I'm sure VR is great for games that are designed for VR, but I simply don't think a Firefall-like game would work well with VR, especially if we get to use lots of movement.

Jul 26, 2016
My opinion on VR with a game like Ember... First, build a game that works and has interest. Then once that is established and bills are being paid, then maybe begin working on VR. Developing a game for VR before the actual game is built and working, seems like a big waste of time and resources.

Jul 26, 2016
Personal VR is limiting but VR theme parks or large scale operations on the other hand gets around these problems.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2016/5/5/11597482/the-void-virtual-reality-magician-tracy-hickman

the problem is the cost and getting people to come back.
The company behind "the void" have opened up a short experience in NYC recently based on Ghostbusters. There is some tracking issues since they aren't using the same gear as the stuff they got in their main facility. But it's still far better experience than even the most expensive personal VR system. Expensive and short though.

Jul 26, 2016
Canada
I'll put in my $0.02 as a Vive owner.

First off, VR is really hard to describe without trying it. It's great to talk about what works and what doesn't but actually seeing it for yourself is the only way to really understand what the big deal is.

Room scale is amazing, actually being able to wander around and interact with your environment adds a lot more over just looking (controller/mouse and keyboard.) The Vive also does sitting/standing if you don't have the space to do room scale (you can play all the Rift games with Revive for example) but you are missing out on the full potential of the system. That said the Rift controllers are supposed to be good and are supposed to arrive sometime in Q4/17 but will cost an unknown amount. It looks like most of the Rift titles are going to be ~270° standing experiences although room scale is supported.

The problem (other than needing space) becomes locomotion, moving the camera other than under direct player control is a recipe for motion sickness. There are a few different locomotion methods devs are using, various types of teleport being the most common. There is also a few games using a blurred sprint, some games use twin-stick but it makes some people uncomfortable. Then there are games like Unseen Diplomacy that warp your playspace enough to fool you into walking around in circles without feeling like it.

1st (or 3rd) person shooters need careful design for VR, I'd imagine it would be really hard to design a game for both conventional and VR at the same time. You can check out Hover Junkers, Raw Data or Battle Dome as examples of the current VR shooters. It's a good idea to keep in mind that VR is still young, there are no AAA titles yet and devs are still experimenting with what works and what doesn't.

My view of the best use of VR for Ember as it stands now is a VR spectator mode like Valve just released for DOTA 2.

Sandsnake

Deepscanner
Jul 28, 2016
Wasn't there a kickstarter for something called the Omni? Thought that was designed to alleviate most of these issues...

Jul 26, 2016
Canada
You are thinking of the Virtuix Omni. It's an omni-directional treadmill. It's another neat solution but it's not the end all either. There is something nice about being able to duck and dodge and roll around on the floor like an idiot sometimes.

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
I haven't tried any of the VR yet but people said 3D gaming was overhyped as well. For a racing game, I thought it was great but gave me a headache after about 30min. For a shooter is was fun as well. If they don't do VR then I'd like to see some 3D option supported. I have the system for VR (minus the new GTX 1080) so if it eventually gets it I will be ready.

Jul 26, 2016
It does look to be a neat exercise tool though.
Just imagine that.... going to a local gym and instead of using a treadmil, you are using a VR thingy to play games while getting fit.