Is it a shameless plug if it's in off topic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vedrit

Commander
Feb 6, 2017
Maybe, but I want to share my excitement about a project I've been working on for over a year now

I have the very ambitious goal of making my own sandbox multiplayer online role-playing game (massively is unimportant). Yeah, I know, there's a lot of those out there these days, but I'm making this first and foremost for me, because all those other games... they just don't have all the features and mechanics I want in a sandbox MORPG.

What is this game, you ask? I call it: The False World (There's a funny and slightly embarrassing story behind that)
What's it about? It's a medieval fantasy that takes place a few hundred years after the gods sundered the known world, as punishment for the wars that the inhabitants had been waging against each other. Governments have sprung up on the 3 continents that resulted from the Shattering, as the event is called, and the governments have apparently not learned from the past. Frictions and distrust is building, primarily due to contention over a chain of islands with fertile soil and mineral deposits rich with rare resources.

You can be anything you aspire to be. Take part in the government of one of the 3 main factions, or gather rare and exotic materials, or use them to craft powerful items, or trade items across the land or even across the sea, or be a mighty warrior out for riches or honor. Discover mysteries that were lost in the Shattering, build and control towns. The possibilities are incredible!
There won't be any pre-defined classes or roles, and everything is based on the skills your character learns, and develop skills through use and training.

For those curious, the development of this game is my wife (art, 3D models, etc) and myself (everything else) and progress has been going fairly well (Except for a few breaks here and there, and the lack of progress since October due to unstable living arrangements on my part)
I post monthly update videos (except for previously mentioned periods of time) on YouTube. You can see the first one here:

I hope I pique the interest of some people, because I LOVE to talk about my project. I've spent a decade thinking about what and how and why. QUIZ ME BRUH!

Edit: Here's the link to the document where I've written pieces of lore: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XDpROfSnbMA5940ExW8jNff2iyrrBBSWeUowabhCloc/edit?usp=sharing

This document is more on the technical side of things:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bS-KQoGFyD9jaZu9MVseD7c-UNIltMXEW71afv_amf0/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
This project will it have zombies in?

Also since this is a medieval fantasy i am wondering if there is some sort of strange blend of dragons and dinosaurs for rides
maybe throw in Pegasus too ?

Vedrit

Commander
Feb 6, 2017
This project will it have zombies in?
Um, of a sort... See, in the lore, the soul cannot be destroyed, but if the body can no longer sustain it - whether because of mortal injuries or the body is literally starved, etc - then the soul is forced to wander the world until their body is repaired. Sometimes, though, the original soul never returns to the body, and some other entity enters it and controls it. These entities aren't able to properly control the body, and so it is often a shambling, groaning figure. They are called the Risen. However, they are often quite violent against any living thing that is not also a Risen, be it animal, human, or elf.

Also since this is a medieval fantasy i am wondering if there is some sort of strange blend of dragons and dinosaurs for rides
maybe throw in Pegasus too ?
Dragons, yes. Dinosaurs? There's nothing medieval about them, so no. No dinosaurs.
My issue with Pegasus is like asking if Theseus or Apollo will be in the game. Pegasus is not a type of animal, like the dragon or a griffon. Pegasus is a god in Greek mythology. There is only one Pegasus.
So, negatory on Pegasus.

Vedrit

Commander
Feb 6, 2017
I hadn't really considered unicorns (or whether they sh*t rainbow muffins) but seeing how I don't much care for them, they may not be put in.

Vedrit

Commander
Feb 6, 2017
CAN I START MY OWN TRUMPAIGN AND TAKE OVER ONE OF THOSE FACTION. TILL SOMEONE ASSASSINATE ME OR THROW OVER MY THRONE?
Each faction has their own process for selecting leadership. One country holds elections, one holds a tournament, and the last selects from seniority.
But yes, you could take over and rule until someone assassinates you.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Are the races just limited to humans or will there be a selection to choose from? such as giants, shapeshifter, gnome, plant creatures, etc etc

Vedrit

Commander
Feb 6, 2017
Are the races just limited to humans or will there be a selection to choose from? such as giants, shapeshifter, gnome, plant creatures, etc etc
The currently planned playable races are: Humans (they vary to each continent), elves, dwarves, and lizardkin
The lore supports more, though. Before the Shattering, the beings had the ability to change their forms. It was taken away, along with immortality, by one of the 6 gods, which eventually lead to wars and bloodshed that brought about the Shattering.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
The currently planned playable races are: Humans (they vary to each continent), elves, dwarves, and lizardkin
The lore supports more, though. Before the Shattering, the beings had the ability to change their forms. It was taken away, along with immortality, by one of the 6 gods, which eventually lead to wars and bloodshed that brought about the Shattering.
The 6 gods are they the bosses to face in the game at some point or just part of the story?
I am sure there are some gods with sinister intentions and others gods that oppose it.

You can be anything you aspire to be. Take part in the government of one of the 3 main factions
If for example i chose a race say a dwarf could my path be on a destructive route and cause
chaos and take a path of the villain side then again if i wanted to play a hero i would have to save and defend
etc would that be possible?

Vedrit

Commander
Feb 6, 2017
The 6 gods are they the bosses to face in the game at some point or just part of the story?
I am sure there are some gods with sinister intentions and others gods that oppose it.
The gods are neither bosses nor, from a lore point of view, sinister. For example, the god that took away the shapeshifting abilities and immortality is the god that embodies thought and philosophy.
I should probably share the document I've written my lore in. There's a lot of information, and my partial explanations are probably just causing more questions.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XDpROfSnbMA5940ExW8jNff2iyrrBBSWeUowabhCloc/edit?usp=sharing

If for example i chose a race say a dwarf could my path be on a destructive route and cause
chaos and take a path of the villain side then again if i wanted to play a hero i would have to save and defend
etc would that be possible?
Ehhh... Villain is subjective. If you're a 'villain' in the nation you're from, the other nations may view you as, not quite a hero, but someone to support. If you go pirate, attacking and robbing indiscriminately, well...
Everyone has enemies. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" as the saying goes.
It is possible to change sides, per se. There's a relation system, allowing you to be considered the friend of formerly hostile nation, and vice versa.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
The gods are neither bosses nor, from a lore point of view, sinister. For example, the god that took away the shapeshifting abilities and immortality is the god that embodies thought and philosophy.
I should probably share the document I've written my lore in. There's a lot of information, and my partial explanations are probably just causing more questions.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XDpROfSnbMA5940ExW8jNff2iyrrBBSWeUowabhCloc/edit?usp=sharing

Ehhh... Villain is subjective. If you're a 'villain' in the nation you're from, the other nations may view you as, not quite a hero, but someone to support. If you go pirate, attacking and robbing indiscriminately, well...
Everyone has enemies. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" as the saying goes.
It is possible to change sides, per se. There's a relation system, allowing you to be considered the friend of formerly hostile nation, and vice versa.
that sounds cool i will read the doc's soon i fear there will be more questions your way
i should be a detective hmm

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
That is a lot of stuff a nice project! so my question is what stage are you on at this moment? and what would you work on next and so forth?

Do you have thoughts on when you'd like it to be completed within a certain time frame?

Vedrit

Commander
Feb 6, 2017
That is a lot of stuff a nice project! so my question is what stage are you on at this moment? and what would you work on next and so forth?
Well, there's a lot on my plate, being that I'm the only programmer. I set some tasks for me to do every month, to be done by the 12th so I can upload an update video.
Lately, though, I haven't been able to do much. I move out from my home back in October, but it didn't go as smooth as planned and things have been... uncertain since. Currently, I'm converting things over to a networking solution which has passed tests, as well as doing various optimizations.
This past week, though, I have been experimenting with a new networking setup.
As for what stage...Well, I have a few features in working condition, but everything is rough and basic. Definitely extremely early development, though past planning. It's only this past week or so that I finally put in a human character.
Do you have thoughts on when you'd like it to be completed within a certain time frame?
I don't really have a time frame for completion of the project, since it's such a large project for one person. Also, it's a project that I'm doing for me, not because I want to make a popular game or make money. So long as I finish it during my lifetime, it's soon enough for me.

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
It sounds like a cool project i'd like to help out some way but i am not great with the technical stuff. I'd love to add your game progress to my site oneday if thats cool with you? once the website is up!

Its going to be a gaming and creative site for peoples interest and myself.

very nice!

Vedrit

Commander
Feb 6, 2017
It sounds like a cool project i'd like to help out some way but i am not great with the technical stuff. I'd love to add your game progress to my site oneday if thats cool with you? once the website is up!

Its going to be a gaming and creative site for peoples interest and myself.

very nice!
Certainly! I have been meaning to set up a website dedicated for news and media but never got around to it - it was pretty low on the priority list. Having someone handle it would be immensely helpful

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Certainly! I have been meaning to set up a website dedicated for news and media but never got around to it - it was pretty low on the priority list. Having someone handle it would be immensely helpful
neat i will have to post the link once its done always wanted a website for gaming/creative stuff but now i got my logo done thanks to noahdvs and nanotechician's tips can move on and get progressing towards a site.

Its impressive what has been made by just yourself, i hope you get more interest to test out the game and get some valuable feedback, never knew about your game until i saw it here in the forums!

Vedrit

Commander
Feb 6, 2017
neat i will have to post the link once its done always wanted a website for gaming/creative stuff but now i got my logo done thanks to noahdvs and nanotechician's tips can move on and get progressing towards a site.

Its impressive what has been made by just yourself, i hope you get more interest to test out the game and get some valuable feedback, never knew about your game until i saw it here in the forums!
Well, I'm not much a marketer. It's mostly been between my friends and random people on the Unity forums. I occasionally do play tests when I get major components working. Last one was back in October, as I mentioned in the video you linked. If you're going to be putting my game on your website, it'd only be fair that you get an invite to the next one - though, to be honest, I had contacted people who expressed interest to join in last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.