In the name of transparency @Mark Kern

Status
Not open for further replies.

windspiek

Jul 27, 2016
Hey.

Like a lot of us old FireFall people I have no trust in Mark Kern.
I got a shady promotional mail through my FireFall forums account by Kern/Crixa Labs, a company that isn't affiliated with Red5 or The9 in anyway (making it spam).
This mail outlined the idea to "bring back the original vision of FireFall to life" with a crowdfunded business model, which to me sounded like asking for millions, for a game that has already failed.
But then I read Kern's blogs on making a small game and building it up through multiple growing crowdfunding campaigns.
I'm getting two pictures here, one that tries to lure FireFall fans into funding Kern's pet project and undoing history, and one that sounds like a sensible game production.

The only way this can go anywhere is with a fully transparent approach. No over-promising, no deceptions, no misrepresentations, no bs.
Follow the likes of Unknown Worlds and open up the production so we can see what you're doing. This game has to speak for itself and if it can't it doesn't deserve funding.
Do this: https://trello.com/b/yxoJrFgP/subnautica-development

This is not a discussion thread.

Hans Trom

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
I am also an orginal FF founder, and while I found the many system rewrites frustrating, it was not until Mark was removed from the project that it truely lost its way.

I trust him enough to give him a second chance at this, so while openness is a good thing, I think that putting something like the backlog out in the open is just not a productive move. You do not want your backlog to doubble as a PR tool, pain is sure to come down that path. I want to belive that there is a reasonable middle way somewhere between Subnautica's open backlog and something like Star Citizens total obfuscation of the actual progress.

Jul 27, 2016
Tennessee
Actually I sort of dig the trello card idea. It would not only be useful to the non-believers/nervous-nellies but would be a great way to see progress, what gets chopped or developed. Whatever an Ember game might become, it's an exercise that could show the community "This is what REALLY goes into making a game (and all the stuff that never makes it that you typically don't know about)". I could see it being a real treat, at least in an academic sort of way.

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
The9 was likely responsible for a large portion of the constant changes and trying to twist the game into a Korean gold farming game.
Soon as they said they had a Chinese company as an investor, I started to wonder about its future. By the time it became obvious the game they talked about and promised was going to get bent up and screwed like a $5 contortionist at a donkey show I was already on my way out along with at least one other of their NCO's. Neither of us left because of something Mark said or did to us.

Jul 26, 2016
I love the trello thing that Unknown worlds is using in regards to subnautica.
It lets me to easily see where they are going and have gone since I shelled out some cash to their benefit.
Very neat.

That here would be very cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.