Improvised weapons and armor

Aug 14, 2016
Given the nature of this game, large mecha fighting large monsters, one of the things that draw people into this kind of stuff is the improvised weapons that both side might use while in a fight. So let's talk about that for a moment and what kind of objects you would like to see as improvised weapons or armor?

For example, you are fighting a monster in a forest and knock over some trees. Could you pick up a tree and use it as a melee weapon or even throw it at the enemy? Or if you are being shot at. Could find a big rock to hide behind to block the shots before picking up the rock and throwing it at enemies? What if you are pinned down in an ambush next to a destroyed drop ship. Could you not pick up and use parts of the broken ship as a shield?

This idea came about do to me watching some old sci-fi movies and replaying old games where you could use the environment and objects in it as weapon. Like the Hulk picking up cars and using them as boxing gloves to hit harder.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
i can imagine a light frame mek hitting a coconut out of a tree flying towards the kaiju with the power fists making the kaiju concussed.

Then i imagine scraps of building roof lay on the ground where you can get underneath it to plan your next move either a sneak attack or to escape and find another opportunity later.

Imagine if kaiju's were to use such methods of attack some even luring you to a spot scary in a way that these kaiju's may not just be huge but smart too.

I wonder if dev's would play as a special kaiju for events in some unpredictable chaos !

Aug 14, 2016
One of the best things about improvised weapons and armor is that because they are just things you find in the area. it doesn't matter if you only get a few uses out of them or even one use out of them before they are destroyed. After all, most of the stuff is not designed to be used as weapons or armor, you just happen to grab it and use it as such. It is like a person picking out a random stick or pipe or chair while fighting in the streets. What could a really powerful and/or really large mecha just grab and pick up?

That is why used the Hulk as an example before. Both in the movie and in the game made after the movie the Hulk one of they things he do to cars (besides throw them or use them like club to hit things) is to use them to form makeshift boxing gloves to hit even harder than he normally would. As seen here.

It would be nice that with the Thumpers and larger mecha that we can see how much more powerful they are just by the improvised weapons and armor they can use.

Now I'm not saying we do this on all size scales because at some point it just becomes over the top and silly. Awesome, but still silly. For example the final battle in Gurren Lagann where they are using while galaxies and pocket universes as weapons throwing them around and stuff.

Last edited: