IMPORTANT: Omniframe Mk II

Do you prefer the direction of Omniframe Original or Mk II going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FuPlaayz

Aug 24, 2016
www.twitch.tv
Why over cluster stuff ? Simple designs work the best. Personally i never liked the look of these "omniframes" , feels too "Gundamy" to me.
Upcoming Anthem Suits looks really dope : Simple, Compact and "Solid" looking. Firefall was more flashy but frames weren't saturated with useless spikes and antennas.

Terricon4

Base Commander
Base Commander
Something I think a LOT of people here aren't realizing about the Mk2.

It does not have 4 arms, it has 2 arms itself, and then there are the smaller arms of the pilots that stick out and are simply armored bellow them. In practice the pilots arms would move and the larger ones above them would mimic that motion, though with some basic AI you could also manage things like having it control the upper arms to hold something while you move the lower ones independently, such as dual wield reloading using all 4 arms since you could teach the suit AI that in advance.

The Mk1 also has a second smaller set of arms. You'll notice those being the pilots arms, they simply have small support bars on the outside that they strap into so those can read the arms movements and then make the mechs own arms respond appropriately. Similarly if the pilot is exposed they could grab or do stuff with their own arms, but in hard driver as its planned that wouldn't work since they're buttoned up completely.

So, in summary. That's not the Mk2 having two pairs of arms, both frames only have one pair of arms, and depending on mode one pair of pilot arms also visible. And since I'm also seeing comments about Mk2 being bigger/heavier, let me remind you that with this and how the driver fits inside in mind, the Mk1 light variant is a good bit bigger than the Mk2 in overall size, with the Mk1 heavy completely dominating it here.

Cadbane

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
Being this frame is a "base" for frames to come, I am excited. I see this as the "medium" or "assault" type frame. The possibilities of trimming it or Growing it to "Sniper" or "Mammoth" frame is very exciting to me. I have to admit, the MKI frame was a real turn off for me. I hate to be that guy, but it really was. Hard Driver mode made it tolerable some what. I am very pleased to see the change that maybe implented. I think Grummus has seen this and acknowledged the need for this change. In my eyes, this makes him a GURU at what he does. This change or thought of change I am sure did not come lightly, but it was DEFINETLY a change for the good (IMO). Grummus, you keep up that gut feeling of what needs to be changed, that is your strongest asset in my mind. Never stop man..... We believe in you.

I APPROVE! Rock ON EM-8ER

Last edited:

Maven

Kaiju Slayer
Max Kahuna
Philanthropist
Jul 26, 2016
Adding a few more thoughts:

The gripe against the current model of the Omniframe, I feel, seems to come from an apparent lack of similarity to the artwork.

The model is a limp/powered down version, whereas the artwork is an action shot. This ends up with the model looking like a weak, slouched version of what people expect from a mecha. A dorky twin, if you would. The artwork shows the omniframe in a battle ready stance and exudes a sense of power/strength.

@Grummz @Joe Solo Could we have the model, especially the limbs, positioned in such a way as to resemble the stance in the artwork? This might immediately alleviate some of the concerns regarding the limb proportions and give it that powerful mecha feel.

With the amount of effort that's already gone into the Mk I, I'd hate for it to be put aside.

Cadbane

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
Adding a few more thoughts:

The gripe against the current model of the Omniframe, I feel, seems to come from an apparent lack of similarity to the artwork.

The model is a limp/powered down version, whereas the artwork is an action shot. This ends up with the model looking like a weak, slouched version of what people expect from a mecha. A dorky twin, if you would. The artwork shows the omniframe in a battle ready stance and exudes a sense of power/strength.

@Grummz @Joe Solo Could we have the model, especially the limbs, positioned in such a way as to resemble the stance in the artwork? This might immediately alleviate some of the concerns regarding the limb proportions and give it that powerful mecha feel.

With the amount of effort that's already gone into the Mk I, I'd hate for it to be put aside.
You have to "break a few eggs" to make an omelet. Break away Sirs.

Cadbane

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
BTW, the wings... Need a ton of work. We all know they are way to small and gimpy..... Lets get that right :p

Jul 28, 2016
Something very important to consider is Model Silhouettes and how unique certain models look.

The original omni-frame model has a unique design that isnt too similar to other games out there and has its own style/taste/look. Even at a glimpse, most gamers would be able to say "Hey that's from Emb8-er!".

The issue with the MKII, while being more humanoid, is the fact that it looks far too similar to a multitude of armors/mechs in other games that takes away the unique distinction of the original version.

I believe the reason the original model doesnt 'feel' right is due to the the sizing of certain parts. For example, the upper half of the omni-frame is absolutely perfect, from the armored shoulders, the shoulder blades, the arms and the hard-driver enabled mode, they are all well balanced. However the lower half of the frame is too 'skinny'. I understand that the reverse-jointed legs are made to be mechanically viable for jumps etc. However it doesnt match up with the upper half of the frame. This is one of the reasons why some of the responses in this thread seem to favour the legs of the MKII.

To summarize, I believe the original frame should be tweaked to maintain it's unique aesthetic but modify it to get it 'just right'.

Krhys

Commander
Jul 26, 2016
MK II for me but not sure on those 4 arms. Practically speaking, how does a pilot control all 4? If the movements of the large two mirror the small two, then they pretty much become obsolete.

Kassatsu

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Omni Ace
Jun 13, 2017
Both. MKI or MKII (should it be the more or less popular one?) as a backer reward on kickstarter and/or current milestone backers. Maybe even both. EDIT: This is assuming there are 'appearance' options, rather than swapping out performance-affecting parts that also change the appearance.

I think I like MKI better myself. The second one looks more like power armor or something, the first one has a more stylized appearance and 'anime' feel.

Hotel6

Commander
Jul 27, 2016
As for me, i like the look of the new one.
Looks sturdy, bulky, some what feels comfortable to be in it and will fight Kaijus on the side of the streets.

As for the exposed pilot thing, i think one of the main point of having an Omniframe is to protect the pilot. So im def going with the new one.

And the extra 2 arms for the pilot ? Well you can grab something with the Omniframe's arm, bring it closer to you so you can poke them in the eyes because you have an extra pair of arms.

Wings are kinda weird but since its made out of light, you can turn it off and not having it smacking into things while you're running around on the ground.

Shadow

Terraformer
Greeter
Feb 13, 2017
I like the original, though I see some benefits of off the MK 2.
I dislike the 4 arm setup personally, Can't see how we could control the suit if our arms are outside and if it would force mirroring.. I'm not too big on the idea personally. Seen it, it's kinky but not my flavor.
I do think people should understand that this is a standard (Medium) frame of the game, which means it shouldn't be getting hit that much. I feel it might be too on the light side atm, and a bit more focus towards that middle ground would make it perfect imho.
Everything else is fine really. Should be really be looking like a drill robot? It's supposed to be EXTREMELY resilient to damage, because of it's size, it will get hit. We're not meant to be as bulky, at least not on the Standard (Medium) frame.. On the heavy one I could see this (still not a fan of 4 hands however..) but then again I would say Heavy frame should be bigger than medium one anyway.

All in all, this is my opinion, everyone has their own. I think you're doing a great job. Don't start doubting yourself. You had an idea, let's see it in action, opinions based on drawings and pictures are tough. We're judging aesthetics and people are throwing in functionality without the feeling of a frame. You'll have a mixed batch of feedback because of how people may preview an image, how their eyes judge. :)

Hotel6

Commander
Jul 27, 2016
I like the original, though I see some benefits of off the MK 2.
I dislike the 4 arm setup personally, Can't see how we could control the suit if our arms are outside and if it would force mirroring..
Well the idea of the original Omniframe concept is you would literally stick your arms out and do stuff so the frame's arm would follow your arm's movement.

You dont stick your arms inside the frame's arms though.

Jan 26, 2017
Portugal
MK II for me but not sure on those 4 arms. Practically speaking, how does a pilot control all 4? If the movements of the large two mirror the small two, then they pretty much become obsolete.
see:

both frames only have one pair of arms, and depending on mode one pair of pilot arms also visible.
and

Well the idea of the original Omniframe concept is you would literally stick your arms out and do stuff so the frame's arm would follow your arm's movement.
You dont stick your arms inside the frame's arms though.
the "small arms" on the MKII are the pilot's arms. The movement of the pilot's arms is mirrored by the frame's arms.

trams87

Jul 28, 2016
tramsgaming.tk
This looks pretty cool tbh. I mean would it be a crime to have different models of omniframes? I like both of them however as they both have a nostalgic feel to them like Jehuty from Zone Of The Enders.

Dec 15, 2016
I haven’t decided yet because of some concerns:
If those are exposed pilot’s arms, then we have a problem. In combat, they’re going to be targeted first due to the lack of or too little armouring. Anyone piloting the Mk2 will be mince meat against brawlers/melee tsi-hu.

If those are extra limbs for the Mk2, it could be a tri-wielding omniframe. You could say that it can be a template design for a medium omniframe or a medium omniframe for an NPC officer.
Since there is crafting as a game mechanic, I’d say keep the assets but make each part on the mk2 be visual models for diversity.
Will this be a new variant say a base builder omniframe or another function perhaps? It could be a sub variant for a light or medium.

Darker7

Firstclaimer
Jul 2, 2017
Now that I've slept a night over it, I've really come to oppose the Mk. II. Simply because it' core desing philosophy is different from the Omniframe's. Mk. II is not an Omniframe it's something different. Sadly I'm currently at school so I can't write out a full rant but I will do so once I get home (if I remember to) :Ü™

Hotel6

Commander
Jul 27, 2016
Now that I've slept a night over it, I've really come to oppose the Mk. II. Simply because it' core desing philosophy is different from the Omniframe's. Mk. II is not an Omniframe it's something different. Sadly I'm currently at school so I can't write out a full rant but I will do so once I get home (if I remember to) :Ü™
Thinking of a mech suit ?

Darker7

Firstclaimer
Jul 2, 2017
If those are exposed pilot’s arms, then we have a problem. In combat, they’re going to be targeted first due to the lack of or too little armouring. Anyone piloting the Mk2 will be mince meat against brawlers/melee tsi-hu.

If those are extra limbs for the Mk2, it could be a tri-wielding omniframe. You could say that it can be a template design for a medium omniframe or a medium omniframe for an NPC officer.
That's not a problem. The Omniframe has shields.
Furthermore part of the Omniframe's core design philosophy is vulnerability and I, frankly, think that the Mk. II is far too safe, stury. It isn't vulnerable enough :Ü™

Status
Not open for further replies.